Is it ok for law enforcement to keep lists of groups of people?

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I' m really torn on this cus it doesn't sit right but it seems difficult to argue against.

My question is basically if it's ok for police to keep lists of groups of people they suspect are susepticle to commit crimes, they can be ethnic groups or just psychologically profiled people, that part is irrelevant to me.

If you know that a certain group has a history of commiting crimes, is it ok to watch them then or is it discrimination?

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It could be used for counter-terrorism or domestic terrorism. What matters most is that there's a criteria to protect harmless groups, but these lists are unlikely to be entirely public. Since there's no real oversight, it's inherently exploitable. The list itself is kinda pointless though. What matters the most is how much freedom they have to target said groups. To me, this question just leaks into the question of what extent police can survey you before it it enters the territory of legal stalking.

Reactions: Urda

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It could be used for counter-terrorism or domestic terrorism. What matters most is that there's a criteria to protect harmless groups, but these lists are unlikely to be entirely public. Since there's no real oversight, it's inherently exploitable. The list itself is kinda pointless though. What matters the most is how much freedom they have to target said groups. To me, this question just leaks into the question of what extent police can survey you before it it enters the territory of legal stalking.
I guess there is a difference between like, psychological profiles and like ethnic profiles. I know some police got exposed cus they kept track of gypsies or something cus they were known to steal.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't think is discrimination, rather is a way to have a surveillance of people who showed anti social behaviour to predict it.
Where is the line though? Is it ok to implement systems like they have in china where they can bann people from restaruants, with low social credit scores?