[Question] If Shanks's CoA is so strong...Why did he lose his arm?

ayush0735

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I dont understand..? Why does everyone say Shanks has the best CoA (like an armor)? If he had it, then I dont think a normal Sea King could even bruise him, let alone rip off his arm.

Also, if his CoB is so strong, why could he not make it unconscious?

I know this was 10 years ago, but Shanks was a big deal even then (at par with Mihawk, carrying a devil fruit etc.)

Kiiszame

Regular
Kin
1💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That was a shitload of time ago, for all we know he was a fodder back then.
When he meets whiteboard to talk about the marine ford decisions, whitebeard mentions that everyone was surprised when he lost his arm, and Shanks states he gave up it for the future.

Shanks was a pretty big deal even back then.

Reactions: Six Paths of Logic

ayush0735

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That was a shitload of time ago, for all we know he was a fodder back then.
Yeah right. He was famous enough to be recognised by Rayleigh, could fight Mihawk but he was just a fodder who could not defeat a seas monster (It was not even a sea king, I just read).

kageking

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well you have to activate CoA...he was focusing on saving luffy. Why someone as experienced as him couldn't do both...yeah gotta say that is pure plot.

Apêx1

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah right. He was famous enough to be recognised by Rayleigh, could fight Mihawk but he was just a fodder who could not defeat a seas monster (It was not even a sea king, I just read).
When he meets whiteboard to talk about the marine ford decisions, whitebeard mentions that everyone was surprised when he lost his arm, and Shanks states he gave up it for the future.

Shanks was a pretty big deal even back then.

Being famous enough to be recognised by Rayleigh in no way indicates he has control over his CoA. And yes, but we don't know how much Shanks has improved since his fights with Mihawk. The fodder was figurative, but saying he was close to Yonko level back then is baseless, and implying he had his Haki mastery back then is similarly baseless.

chintu234

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think the reason he sacrificed his hand was because he wanted to luffy know what it means to protect his comrades or he had to lower his CoA because had he kept it at full power luffy would have fainted then and there and would make it even more difficult to save him so instead he made it bare minimum for luffy to be stay conscious.

Anduril

Legendary
Kin
42💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I dont understand..? Why does everyone say Shanks has the best CoA (like an armor)? If he had it, then I dont think a normal Sea King could even bruise him, let alone rip off his arm.

Also, if his CoB is so strong, why could he not make it unconscious?

I know this was 10 years ago, but Shanks was a big deal even then (at par with Mihawk, carrying a devil fruit etc.)
By your logic he should not even be a Yonkou. But he is.
Also according to me shanks is a very laid back chrachter, just like BB on banarao island.

Edit: Also that was 20 years back!

Skylar Knight

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It was obviously for plot, but also to guarantee Luffy's safety. Some people act on instinct, just like parents.

There's no "best choice of action" when you have seconds to save someone in danger.

Aertes

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I just think that Shanks acted fast, based on his instinct to protect Luffy. His own well being was not part of his priorities at that moment.When he assured Luffy was safe in his arms, he used haki.
Being famous enough to be recognised by Rayleigh in no way indicates he has control over his CoA. And yes, but we don't know how much Shanks has improved since his fights with Mihawk. The fodder was figurative, but saying he was close to Yonko level back then is baseless, and implying he had his Haki mastery back then is similarly baseless.
He had strong enough CoC haki to scare away a sea giant but he didn't have any mastery on haki.
You must be registered for see images
Logic these days.

I think the reason he sacrificed his hand was because he wanted to luffy know what it means to protect his comrades or he had to lower his CoA because had he kept it at full power luffy would have fainted then and there and would make it even more difficult to save him so instead he made it bare minimum for luffy to be stay conscious.
Fainting is a side effect of CoC haki not CoA.

Reactions: Legend Slayer

jiraiya lives

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
hmm for some reason I feel Shanks is becoming looked down upon

OT: for obvious plot reasons, plus it was 10 years ago so even if he was strong fighting wise back then it doesn't mean his haki was strong back then. Look at BB, he didn't even have haki when he became a yonkou or at least poor haki at best. Now everyone is assuming he has obtained decent haki over the course of just 2 years just because Burgeuss displayed CoA in Dressrosa.

Mephew D Kensei

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well one piece is 'centuries' old so after this many years its not too surprisingvthat there wld b new concepts added that hadn't been thought of at the. beginning, All in all there are things we all say we cld have done differently and that's just the case.

If we gotta give an explanation then it wld b rush of moment kinda thing were his arm was the only thing inbtwn Luffy n getting shredded.

Apêx1

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I just think that Shanks acted fast, based on his instinct to protect Luffy. His own well being was not part of his priorities at that moment.When he assured Luffy was safe in his arms, he used haki.

He had strong enough CoC haki to scare away a sea giant but he didn't have any mastery on haki.
You must be registered for see images
Logic these days.

Fainting is a side effect of CoC haki not CoA.
A lack of reading comprehension these days... I am claiming that there's 0 proof indicating Shanks having CoC/CoA or Haki mastery at the time. Must be hard for you to understand with that 2nd grade reading comprehension.