Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
She's 39? Looks 80... Anorexia is a mental condition, solving the problem is as easy as making a decision. I do not feel sorry for anorexics, they made their choice, now live with it or change. Stupid people deserve what they get, and I will never believe otherwise. This might sound harsh, but I've seen enough stupidity in my life to know what it looks like.

Typhon

Legendary
Kin
664💸
Kumi
6,684💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
She's 39? Looks 80... Anorexia is a mental condition, solving the problem is as easy as making a decision. I do not feel sorry for anorexics, they made their choice, now live with it or change. Stupid people deserve what they get, and I will never believe otherwise. This might sound harsh, but I've seen enough stupidity in my life to know what it looks like.
Well, that's about as poor of an understanding as you can have about Anorexia.

In one sentence you call it a mental condition. Then you say its a decision. I hate to break it to you, but those are two conflicting statements. Someone with a mental condition does not choose to be the way they are. Does someone choose to be depressed? Do they choose to be anxious? Do they choose to have OCD? Do they choose to have a phobia?

Mottle

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

In one sentence you call it a mental condition. Then you say its a decision. I hate to break it to you, but those are two conflicting statements. Someone with a mental condition does not choose to be the way they are. Does someone choose to be depressed? Do they choose to be anxious? Do they choose to have OCD? Do they choose to have a phobia?
We cannot just choose not to have a mental condition, but we can choose what we do about it. Ultimately, we are responsible for our own actions. I myself used to be anorexic, and I know nobody forced me to starvation. It was my own stupid decision which I'm regretting to this day.

Eustass

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's always sad to see something like this happened. I, myself have never met nor known anyone who's suffering from anorexia but I can see the pain just by looking at her picture. I'm not knowledgeable on the cause of anorexia but I assume that is has something to do with fear of gaining weight based on what others might think, fear of not being accepted, fear of others viewing them as not being attractive and wanting to fit in. Society these days doesn't help since 60% of it made it look that having the perfect body is something that every girl should put in their "to do list" and I'm sure that that's also one of the point that force them to choose to control their diets and life-style. To be honest, I'm surprised she's even alive because based on her weight, it would've worsen her health. I hope she'll stay strong and made this through with a smile.

But worryingly, Valeria says she gets FAN MAIL from girls desperate to copy her skeletal look. The 39-year-old says:

“I have received emails from young girls who want me to teach them how to be like me”. “All the letters I’ve had are from women, mainly in their twenties, who see me as some kind of inspiration”

“This is why I want to campaign against anorexia. I am not going to teach them how to die. It is not a game, it is not a joke, it is your life”.

..Some of girls these days are interesting. A woman is suffering and amazingly, they couldn't even understand her pain nor even see the pain in her face and apparently wishes to have the weight that she has..

Shinobi Train

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Yes, all those things are choices.

Sources: I broke all those, some of which I had really bad.

Typhon

Legendary
Kin
664💸
Kumi
6,684💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We cannot just choose not to have a mental condition, but we can choose what we do about it. Ultimately, we are responsible for our own actions. I myself used to be anorexic, and I know nobody forced me to starvation. It was my own stupid decision which I'm regretting to this day.
I agree with the bold, the other part no so much. I don't know your personal experience so I can't comment on that, but in many cases people become anorexic through no fault of their own. Perhaps in your case it was just a misguided decision, but that's not always how it happens.

Yes, all those things are choices.

Sources: I broke all those, some of which I had really bad.
They are curable, but they are not a choice. If you have arachnophobia, your body just goes into fear mode when you see a spider. You don't see the spider and think "Oh, I'm going to be irrationally afraid". Your body just reacts. But then you can work to overcome that fear through therapy.

Often times with people who suffer from Anorexia, they see themselves as fat regardless of how skinny they are. The perception of their body in their own eyes is not in line with reality. They can be skin and bones and look in a mirror and be disgusted with how "fat" they are. They're literally unable to recognize how skinny they are.

Now you can believe what you believe, but just understand that medically speaking, you're wrong.

Lana Del Taka

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I gotta agree with this

Shinobi Train

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
They are curable, but they are not a choice. If you have arachnophobia, your body just goes into fear mode when you see a spider. You don't see the spider and think "Oh, I'm going to be irrationally afraid". Your body just reacts. But then you can work to overcome that fear through therapy.

Often times with people who suffer from Anorexia, they see themselves as fat regardless of how skinny they are. The perception of their body in their own eyes is not in line with reality. They can be skin and bones and look in a mirror and be disgusted with how "fat" they are. They're literally unable to recognize how skinny they are.

Now you can believe what you believe, but just understand that medically speaking, you're wrong.
Yep, I had arachnophobia real bad. However, I made the mental choice that I didn't want to be afraid anymore, no theropy required, one day I just told myself that the fear wasn't necessary. Of course, I'm a very strong person and I also have the ability to look at any situation, no matter how dangerous and terrifying, objectively and make calculated choices. Something that isn't an immediate danger like anorexia would be child's play for me to conquer, I deal with my greatest fear (driving) on a daily basis.

Luther

Legendary
Kin
6💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The community has a huge role and part to play in this, our mind has already been set minded that unless we are not of perfect weight or height etc that we are imperfect. Those people in her high school never teased her this would not have happened. Good luck to her.

Last edited:

Mottle

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree with the bold, the other part no so much. I don't know your personal experience so I can't comment on that, but in many cases people become anorexic through no fault of their own. Perhaps in your case it was just a misguided decision, but that's not always how it happens.

It's so nice when you have something or someone to blame for every bad decision that you made in your life. Shifting responsibility is a real mental condition IMAO.
Altered perception with anorexia comes as a result of the initial decision to starve yourself, it comes later. It's not that I don't understand it, I did it myself and the reason was not altered perception, but social pressure. Heck...everyone of us feels it, especially if you're overweight teen being ridiculed every day for your looks.
It is the same with taking drugs. You will probably experience side effect like hallucinations, behavior changes and ultimately addiction, but the decision to take drugs in the first place, for for ever reason, was ultimately yours.

Last edited:

Wannabebetter

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Well, to be honest, this is really sad.. I feel really sorry for her, and even more sorry for what the world has come to..

The desire of girls towards being slim and having model-like bodies has gone beyond crazy. Some cases are due to passion originating from the girl herself towards it, but mostly, I'd say; girls tend to struggle for that due to teasing/insulting that they recieve from others.

I've seen so many people going through that situation when people comment on their weight in an uncomfortable way.. I mean, sometimes some people only like you because you're not fat, and if you happened to put on some little weight (by mistake :| ) they take the chance to negatively comment on your new put-on weight.. and, that happens in so many different ways (depending on the person commenting on your look.. )

This act really gets some girls. Specially sensitive ones, and drive them into searching for/creating crazy methods/diets just to stay slim enough for people not to tease them..

I don't think I need to write a whole article about this, simply because the article above (provided by the thread starter) pretty much says all I'd find necessary to say. And, I don't see that the girl in that article is asleep or needs to wake up (Seems she's woken up a while ago.. ) the ones who really need to wake up are the people who tease others on purpose, either their weight, or anything else!

People have the right to be healthy, have the right to eat what they like, every person owns his/her body, not any other person on earth. Also, noone choose how they look like, we are all born with all our features decided from the very start. so; as to "weight proffessionals", "beauty queens/kings",..etc whom claim themselves the right to tease others about how much they weigh, how their body looks, their beauty level, whatsoever; please, cut it off. If you got time to hurt people with cruel critiques, you better go through yourself and fix your flaws.. or wait, if that tires you, I have a better option for you; just close your mouth, you're officially causing disasters and ruining some innocent people's lives.

Conclusion : Live and let live.

[P.S. Sorry if my post is too long]

Last edited: