How strong is the 1st Hokage with Water Style?

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We know Madara used Fire Style against him, so why didn't Hashirama use Water Style?

Not only as a counter to Fire Style, but as a counter to illusions (obscuring line of sight) and weapons, Water Style would have been more useful than Wood Style. Adding in its lower energy cost, this isalmost guaranteed.

So this gets me thinking. Kakashi said that using hereditary elements requires a mastery of the normal elements that constitute them. And indeed, Yamato demonstrated a mastery of both Water and Earth Style befpre using Wood Style.

However, such terms as 'mastery' can have broad or vague meanings that do not always equate to power level. Lee has been master of physical combat since he was a Genin, but he would not beat Kurenai in that category. The number of times hereditary element users have refused to apply their basic elements even when they would be useful implies they may not be too good with them.

Another factor to apply is that practice makes perfect, which means that even if one has adequate talent with something, a lack of practice can make them poor users of it.

Combining these, maybe mastery of the elements simply refers to being able to freely work with them, but not necessarily being practically good with them, especially in heated situations like battle.

With this In mind, how good would the 1st Hokage have been with Water and Earth Styles on their own? Deidara with Earth and Lightning Styles? Gaara with Wind and Earth Styles and so on?

How much of a difference would it have made to their careers if they only had these basic elements and not the hereditary ones, assuming no extra training focus?

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I would say as strong in scale as he is with woodstyle. It's just that he can't grow it from his body for sudden defence, merge with it and hide his signature and water clones aren't very strong. It would be pointless to use that against Madara who can shift between fire style and Susano'o instantly.

Angel90

Regular
Kin
3,288💸
Kumi
657💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Mokuton isn't just an ordinary wood and it's perfect to counter any type of ninjutsu and used as a shield but true,Water style would be better to counter fire style

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And Hashirama could shift between Water Style and Wood Style, especially with his clones.

He wouldn't even need to, as a Water Style at the same scale as his Wood Style (or even higher, as its a simpler element) would beat the energy armour
No It wouldn't, the energy armour tanks TBB with negligible difficulty. No water style is dentin that.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
According to Madara every technique was on different scale and power lvl used by Hashirama same goes with Mokuton when used by Yamato and we can see the difference when used by Hashirama
Whilst true, it wouldn't make a difference to water release. It lacks the necessary properties to get past and compete with 9 tails TBB tanking armour.

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Not necessary. That's like Goku using KaioKen when he has better transformations.
Agreed

My thinking is on how good it is on its own, despite there being better

Whilst true, it wouldn't make a difference to water release. It lacks the necessary properties to get past and compete with 9 tails TBB tanking armour.
Only complete counters negate scale, such as warping against a kick. In a game of shield vs impact, then Water Style could defeat the armour if strong enough.

We already saw this with the 5th Mizukage in The Last movie

Kin
1,731💸
Kumi
678💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Even if Hashirama used Water Style Jutsu it wouldn't end at all. Wood Style Justu was the best option because Madara was controlling Kurama & put a Susanoo over him. The Wood Golem & Sage Mode were the best options for Hashirama to win the fight.

Reactions: Yin

Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I like what you said but u also have 2 take into consideration how COMFORTABLE certain ninja are using other elements. He may simple not be as proficient in water style as he is in wood release or maybe he saw wood release being a better route than water release considering he made an entirely new terrain with it whereas water would just flood the area. In which 9t would have just stood above it. Wood style can caged an entire landmark of sorts. Further more I don’t think the abstraction of the line of sight thing really mattered being that Hashirama had sage mode which constantly channels natural energy throughout the body so wouldn’t that be a continuous surge of foreign chakra to counteract such genjutsu? Or is that not the case with visual genjutsu? Anywho, yeah I think you’re spot on with some of the question n sentiments u proposed, I simply chalk it up to what the user is comfy using. I mean, Oonoki had particle style but used earth release far more. So not EVERY elemental KKG KKT user uses only their KKG or KKT, just most of them and again I assume it’s because they are more comfortable with that and are more proficient in using it and want to use it more. Why have something like lava release that completely over shines fire release and also use fire release when you wouldn’t need it?