[Discussion] How fast is Luffy in Gear 2nd?

Merkel

Regular
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Okay, so there is a lot of confusing interpretations of Luffy's speed and what not, as well as a lot of numbers for his speed which I have no idea where they even came from.
My question is how fast is Luffy in Gear 2nd when he uses Soru? I'm not currently factoring G4 speed, just G2.

Before you answer:

- Please give examples or sources that prove or at least hint at the speed you believe he travels at. I am sick and tired of hearing, "HE IS MACH 25 SO LIKE 30000 Km/h" and then have no explanation of WHY he is that ridiculously fast.

- Don't mention the Kizaru light-speed example or something along those lines because it's BS. Kizaru is not literal light-speed as their are far too many characters and low tiers that could react to Kizaru's supposed 'light-speed' attacks. LUFFY IS NOT LIGHT SPEED OR REMOTELY CLOSE.

What I believe his approximate speed is:

Oda said in the SBS that Soru of CP9 was equivalent to 100m in 4 seconds, so 25 m/s. Now even if we assume Luffy and Lucci were like 50% faster than the average CP9 character's Soru at Enies Lobby, and that current Luffy is now lets say even 5 TIMES faster then he was back then (which I doubt but nevertheless), that is still only 187 m/s or 673 Km/h (half the speed of sound). Now these are things Oda himself stated so other things shown in the manga/anime that prove this otherwise are most likely inconsistencies or poor interpretations of what happened.

If you have any other justified way of measuring Luffy's speed or to be exact his Gear 2nd speed please tell.
Granted, I am aware that his reaction speeds are completely different with O Haki and can dodge very fast things such as bullets.

CloyEscapade

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You mention kizaru being light speed... So does that mean that old guy was using two types of haku at the same time?... One to sense the attack and one to disrupt the logia fruit?

I think at this point everyone is just guessing and numbers are just made up

Merkel

Regular
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You mention kizaru being light speed... So does that mean that old guy was using two types of haku at the same time?... One to sense the attack and one to disrupt the logia fruit?

I mention that Kizaru isn't lightspeed, numerous contradictions prove he isn't. But I can't be bothered going in to detail about why so if you want to know just look it up there are a lot of threads.

CloyEscapade

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I mention that Kizaru isn't lightspeed, numerous contradictions prove he isn't. But I can't be bothered going in to detail about why so if you want to know just look it up there are a lot of threads.
Oh I'm sorry you can't be bothered... I just thought if you had time to waste here on a Saturday night you might have a moment

Merkel

Regular
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oh I'm sorry you can't be bothered... I just thought if you had time to waste here on a Saturday night you might have a moment
Jeez what's with the bitterness? It wasn't the topic of the thread and I said specifically that it isn't worth mentioning to me. Seriously, what did you expect?

Bimbonium

Elite
Kin
7💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You mention kizaru being light speed... So does that mean that old guy was using two types of haki at the same time?... One to sense the attack and one to disrupt the logia fruit?

Is there anything that prohibits using two types of haki simultaneously?

Ot: One piece is not really up to speed in Physics so we might never know how fast Luffy is, but he sure is below Kizaru and Kuma

Last edited:

Venomous Cobra

Legendary
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Kizaru moves and travels at light soeed, however he has to Material is first in order to strike hence why Raleigh was reacting to him. (He got tired alot after a short period of time)

And to be exact, there aren't many characters that completely could react to him in terms of speed, the number is no way higher than five or six

Merkel

Regular
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Is there anything that prohibits using two types of haki simultaneously?

Ot: One piece is not really up to speed in Physics so we might never know how fast Luffy his, but he sure is below Kizaru and Kuma
Yeah gotta throw regular physics out the window, can only go off of what the author or manga directly states otherwise pretty much everything else is up for debate. Kenbunshoku (Observation) Haki and Busoshuku (Armament) Haki can and have been used together but it doesn't change much because even if you can see an attack coming and have the haki to block it, if your body doesn't move fast enough it is pointless.

YellowFang

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
First, Lucci and Luffy were about 70-75 mps if an average CP9 was 25-30 mps...
And I don't see a reason how Luffy's speed should increase significantly when he has just overcame the exhaustion caused by G2 and control it even better. Unless it's stated that he has increased his blood rate, his speed should be about the same as Ennies Lobby arc...

Still, training gives a boost in your physical attributes...

100 mps for me...