How familiar are you with Gundam?

Kin
399💸
Kumi
60💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
its ordinary ..not good to atract a inportance...
Problem with that statement being that it's a massively influential series from a massively influential genre, plus the Red Comet is one of the most copied/imitated characters in anime even outside of the Gundam series:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

wanderingcactus

Veteran
Kin
2,117💸
Kumi
1,383💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It is OK. I really dislike most mechas because of how too outworldly they get. Either too old, such as doing swords and samurai stuff or too futuristic like energy things and other magics involved.

I think the best one that really fit the bill of being the most realistic is IBO. Maybe even OO. The technology is basically well within the realms of reality and the outliers are not really fantasy-esque type.

Maybe in OO, but it is just permissible.

I would say that the most mech that I really like would fall on the realms of the Armored Core video game series. Anything that matches with that, I will certainly like.

IBO and the first Zoids series would be the type in terms of anime. I never really expanded more into it.

• Wow
Reactions: minamoto
Kin
399💸
Kumi
60💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I really dislike most mechas because of how too outworldly they get. Either too old, such as doing swords and samurai stuff or too futuristic like energy things and other magics involved.
Least it's more consistent on that front like Shonen, also that's basically the Super Robot genre in a nutshell. And how can you not like the Brave Perspective which began with it?
Heck it's responsible for a majority of the tropes found in much of general anime.

• Haha
Reactions: minamoto

wanderingcactus

Veteran
Kin
2,117💸
Kumi
1,383💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Least it's more consistent on that front like Shonen, also that's basically the Super Robot genre in a nutshell. And how can you not like the Brave Perspective which began with it?
Heck it's responsible for a majority of the tropes found in much of general anime.

Oh it is just my personal taste. I do very much like the Gundam series but I do not go nuts over them. I simply just like em. I think they are cool.

But like I said, I am looking for mechas and mechas are machines. They should have mechanical feel to them. They are robots. You can only do so much with it before it starts to feel like something else.

That's what I am never really on board with them because most would go beyond those expectations and take you out of your immersion and you would find yourself all of a sudden watching Fantasy instead of SciFi.

Think of it this way: what if you watch a WWII documentary and then all of a sudden you completely find yourself watching the show but they are using a rapier, katana, crossboss and etc.

Or they are using magic and superpowers like the Marvel and DC superheroes on a WWII documentary?

It kinda ruins it, no? It is interesting and exciting. It is very likeable but does it fit the "WWII" expectations? No.

Now, say that it's WWII, the show goes in all about experimental weaponries and futuristic human evolutions. They can get away with showing missiles, lazer tech, jet propulsions (rockets). All these techs that are not existing yet in that timeframe.

That would be Sci-Fi but not Fantasy.

Or how about the forced evolution experimentations that were conducted. They could talk about how there was a push on developing the master race, etc. People with telekinesis or telepathy. All were experiments that were conducted then.
They are still within the realms of WWII.

Gundams that are meant to be mechas and all of a sudden having some sort of superpowers that is in line with Marvel or DC or whatever, is kind of immersion breaking for the genre of "mecha"

Super robots. That is all that is expected of mecha. Not choreographed special moveset that you have to yell the name of the move. (Gundam G)

Not timetraveling, etc. etc.