Winter Savior

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
What I'm asking is how do you go about plotting out what your story is about, where you want to go, how it should be done etc etc.

Do you have a general story outline?

Do you make it up as you go?

Is it continuously evolving into something else than what it originally was or has it kept the same?

Do you outline it chapter by chapter?

Winter Savior

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Take an initial idea and build on it.

Honestly... I've been adding to my own story since 2007 and I'm nowhere near finished...
What do you mean? Are you going slow or are you just adding a lot to the story? if the latter, you could simply find a cutoff point and start another 'book' as a continuation of the first so at least you've finished one--or two considering it's five years compilation.

ShiningStar

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I tend to make it up as I go. When I finish a chapter, I'll read it to make sure it make sense and then make changes to the choppy area. I'll re-read it a few more times for grammar and conventional errors. The longer the story becomes, then instead of making it up as I go, I'll switch to outlining it and planning every aspect of it.

Ciao

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

When I write I usually pick a point where I want to start and where I want to end.

I usually have a plan on how I want a story to progress and write whatever naturally flows from my mind. I also reread what I write over and over to think of better alternatives to what I've already written.

Is it continuously evolving into something else than what it originally was or has it kept the same?

See my first answer.

If I write something with chapters I plan ahead and make sure then is a cliff hanger at the end to keep the story interesting.

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I plot out my entire story before I begin writing, so I know what's happening when/who's fighting who/etc.. Like for Naruto: Tetsuden, I've got everything going on in the Exams and the big event following that already in sight for the most part, then I've got chapter tabs already set up so I know what happens in each chapter. I completely improvise the writing portion of it all, but I make sure I know what'll have happened by the time the chapter ends before I even start writing it to begin with.

KGB Kakuzu

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
With my current FF, I first generalized what kind of story I wanted, after that I did an outline or the equivalent of a Narutopedia write up of the arc,.and now I'm going back over it and replacing the generalized stuff with details and dialogue.

ChrisWolf

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What I'm asking is how do you go about plotting out what your story is about, where you want to go, how it should be done etc etc.

You can start in many different ways....my favorite is to start out by creating awsome characters in your mind and then form a story around them. Sometimes you can just start by deciding what "kind of" story it is in your own mind. You decide is it action? Comedy? Adventure? But then let's say you decide its action then the next step is to decide what kind of action? Gunslinging, swordfighting, supernatural abilities? And then once you decide this you add all the characters in and decide how they are connected and how they react to each other.

These two different options are like two different angles. So really good authors write a story with many different angles in mind to make it full of different connections, patterns of violence, comedy, sadness or suspense.

But the best way to do it for me is to start off by creating different characters in your head and then deciding their destiny, abilities, personality tendencies and then forming their story from there.....effectively making that the story.