Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
HxH turns into more of a battle shonen during the heaven's arena arc where they introduce the battle system of the series. It's easily the best battle system I've seen and probably the most balanced for the most part. You can think of the heaven's arena arc as the Dark Tournament equivalent, much like in YYH, that's where the series moved more towards being a battle shonen.

I would say HxH is better written than YYH & the ending of YYH puts it an disadvantage. However, one very strong point that YYH has is it's villains. Sensui already takes the cake as best villain and HxH hasn't had a villain that was as good if not better than him. Regardless, HxH still has amazing villains just not better than Sensui. There is one villain in HxH that gets an incredible amount of characterization and seeing it all unfold is amazing. In terms, of characters, fights, story depth, etc. HxH takes it easy and now the battles are more strategic than in YYH. Sadly, Gon (main character in HxH) isn't as good as Yusuke either. xd However, he's still great and gets some nice development later on. Overall, you'll enjoy it and I would say without a doubt HxH is the best "ongoing" shonen. The latest arc has so much promise and depth to it.

I don't want to get into much detail for difference and would recommend you just watching the anime. HxH doesn't take long to build up and it's fairly quick. It's much better than OP in terms of picking up and I would argue HxH is a better series overall. Watch the 2011 version of HxH btw. It's a must watch.

Last edited:

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
so lots of tournament drama?
I guess, but that's not what I was referring to.

Was talking about the dark tone of writing, chapter black and sensui shifted YYH from this straightforward battle manga to some psychological tone.

HxH has more layers to it with more complex characters in general.

Personally it is levels above YYH, its not even close.

uhmusddy

Veteran
Kin
38💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
HxH is pretty amazing. I doubted it too before.

& even better it's gets good as soon as maybe episode 5 and even better after the 1st arc is finished. It's also very strategic not just being stronger than one another like many anime.

I don't think it's similar to YYH at all besides the dark tone.

Both are in my top 10 but HxH takes the cake I think.

Just watch it.

Amenotejikara

Regular
Kin
20💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
HxH turns into more of a battle shonen during the heaven's arena arc where they introduce the battle system of the series. It's easily the best battle system I've seen and probably the most balanced for the most part. You can think of the heaven's arena arc as the Dark Tournament equivalent, much like in YYH, that's where the series moved more towards being a battle shonen.

I would say HxH is better written than YYH & the ending of YYH puts it an disadvantage. However, one very strong point that YYH has is it's villains. Sensui already takes the cake as best villain and HxH hasn't had a villain that was as good if not better than him. Regardless, HxH still has amazing villains just not better than Sensui. There is one villain in HxH that gets an incredible amount of characterization and seeing it all unfold is amazing. In terms, of characters, fights, story depth, etc. HxH takes it easy and now the battles are more strategic than in YYH. Sadly, Gon (main character in HxH) isn't as good as Yusuke either. xd However, he's still great and gets some nice development later on. Overall, you'll enjoy it and I would say without a doubt HxH is the best "ongoing" shonen. The latest arc has so much promise and depth to it.

I don't want to get into much detail for difference and would recommend you just watching the anime. HxH doesn't take long to build up and it's fairly quick. It's much better than OP in terms of picking up and I would argue HxH is a better series overall. Watch the 2011 version of HxH btw. It's a must watch.
It starts pretty quick, the first ep and the first issue are a lil slow(imo) but it picks up pretty quickly
good, so the anime is fast as well. I made the mistake watching one piece instead of the manga. the amount of time I've wasted smh

yes! sensui is my favorite villain period. his vibe is so different compared to any other villains I've read except for maybe orochimaru and his forbidden experiments, kinda disappointed there is no villain like that in Hxh but thanks for the heads up as well about strategy cause you're right about yusuke, he does do a lot of crazy stunts to get the win. so that alone I'm looking forward to in hxh. thank you

Amenotejikara

Regular
Kin
20💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I guess, but that's not what I was referring to.

HxH has more layers to it with more complex characters in general.

Personally it is levels above YYH, its not even close.
HxH is pretty amazing. I doubted it too before.

& even better it's gets good as soon as maybe episode 5 and even better after the 1st arc is finished. It's also very strategic not just being stronger than one another like many anime.

Was talking about the dark tone of writing, chapter black and sensui shifted YYH from this straightforward battle manga to some psychological tone.

I don't think it's similar to YYH at all besides the dark tone.

Both are in my top 10 but HxH takes the cake I think.

Just watch it.
okay I see where you're going with this. it's more story driven than it is fighting wise. but still focuses on the combat strategy. so basically it's kinda like (forgive me for makin this comparison) attack on titan, the focus seem to be about killing the titans but it's actually the secondary to the shift in focusing on the characters themselves and the basement secret.

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
okay I see where you're going with this. it's more story driven than it is fighting wise. but still focuses on the combat strategy. so basically it's kinda like (forgive me for makin this comparison) attack on titan, the focus seem to be about killing the titans but it's actually the secondary to the shift in focusing on the characters themselves and the basement secret.
It's actually heavily combat oriented, can't even lie. You can say it's story driven but it is centered around its combat. It's combat system is near flawless, probably the most well thought out of any battle manga.

But I was talking about how complex the characters/ villains are, it's like chapter black in that regard, dark tone with characters with many layers to them. And the fights are pretty much all strategy related, less dbz power level stuff that was going on in YYH.

It's just a better overall product from start to finish. Maybe the YYH main cast has an edge, more likable maybe, but that's about it.

Attack on titan isnt an accurate comparison because the combat is negligible compared to the bigger picture. HxH builds itself around its combat.

Last edited:

Gintõki1

Elite
Kin
16💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I prefer YYH. Best tournament/battle shounen, much better cast and one of the best and complex villain.
Like both though and HxH is definitely the top title in shounen and shits on all the ongoing ones.

Last edited:

Fireplay

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
HxH is better. Like some have already said it has a dark tone and unlike other shonen the main character doesn't pull shit from his ass and is actually NOT invincible.

The main cast is pretty much YYH main cast but with more lighthearted personalities with better writing and not so pale backstories. HxH is actually a pretty deep shonen and i would recommemd it highly. Imo second only to One Piece. Watch the anime then go to the manga. Anime HxH>manga.

Gon - Yusuke
Killua - Hiei
Kurapika - Kurama
Leorio - Kuwabara

Kushina89

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
HxH is better. Like some have already said it has a dark tone and unlike other shonen the main character doesn't pull shit from his ass and is actually NOT invincible.

The main cast is pretty much YYH main cast but with more lighthearted personalities with better writing and not so pale backstories. HxH is actually a pretty deep shonen and i would recommemd it highly. Imo second only to One Piece. Watch the anime then go to the manga. Anime HxH>manga.

Gon - Yusuke
Killua - Hiei
Kurapika - Kurama
Leorio - Kuwabara
talks about how deep hxh is but mentions it behind repetitive shonen as op..... lol
cant take this post serious

hxh>other shonen>>>big3 and other mediocre shonen

Last edited: