How did Toneri get the Tenseigan?

Kin
10💸
Kumi
10💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was rewatching the movie, and they were vague on how the Tenseigan occurs.

It's said that you need an Otsutsuki body and Byakugan to acquire Tenseigan. HOWEVER, the entire Otsutsuki Clan, from Hamura, Kaguya, Momoshiki, Kinshiki, and moon Otsutsuki had all had Byakugan, but Tenseigan never occurred for anyone accept Toneri, after he took Hanabi's eyes.

I used to think the Tenseigan Altar was the source of Tenseigan eyes, but when Naruto and Hinata destroyed it, Toneri still had the eyes and used Tenseigan CM. Toneri didn't lose the tenseigan, until Naruto beat him in a fight.

So what gives? Did I miss something?

SenseiSama

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think by Ootsutsuki body they meant a Hyuga with Kimimaro's cells and Sage Mode. Kimimaro had Kaguya's KKG therefore had her "body"

Pyro NB

Amegakure
Elite
Kin
1,590💸
Kumi
10,937💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Good question. Alter was used to seal the clans Byakugan to combine all there powers into one unique weapon. Hamara was the first to awaken the tenseigan which is the combination of byakugan and Otsutsuki chakra. My theory is that it would take something like Rinnegan having to need senji and uchiha dna meaning Tenseigan would have to use earth born byakugan and moon born Otsutsuki chakra. As for why Kaguya never used it I have no earthly idea. Maybe it was something Hamura developed on his own.

Ensifer

Veteran
Kin
145💸
Kumi
412💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I needed to obtain a pure Byakugan that wasn't from a regular Otsutsuki, and instead branched from the Hyuga Clan instead, the descendants that remained on Earth.

As for how the Tenseigan itself came into existence, think of it to some degree of being another mutation that came from Kaguya Otsutsuki, such as the Sharingan coming from Hagomoro's son(Indra), Hagoromo himself obtaining the Rinnegan directly from Kaguya and the Tenseigan being essentially the same case, but applied for Hamura instead.

While one son(Hagoromo) obtained the Rinnegan from the Rinne-Sharingan mutation, the other obtained the Tenseigan from the Byakugan mutation from within Kaguya herself.

Compare it to this scenario:
Sharingan = Originated from Hagoromo's Rinnegan as a mutation to his son.
Tenseigan = Originated from Kaguya's Byakugan as a mutation to her own son.

And for one to awaken them, one must have an Otsutsuki body, with the eyes of a Hyuga.

I even stated in The Last that for the Tenseigan to be activated, an Otsutsuki must obtain a "pure Byakugan", and due to being direct descendants of Hamura that stayed on Earth, Hinata and Hanabi were the perfect candidates.

It's the reason why Momoshiki, Kinshiki and even Kaguya herself didn't have them.

I hope that clear your curiosity.

Last edited:

Seventh Sama

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wasn't hamura said to have tenseigan? I guess hamura's lineage has some kind of special mutation so that's why they can get tenseigan and other otsutsuki cant. This also explains why hagoromo had rinnegan and not a default byakugan.

Natsu Shazneel

Banned
Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I needed to obtain a pure Byakugan that wasn't from a regular Otsutsuki, and instead branched from the Hyuga Clan instead, the descendants that remained on Earth.

As for how the Tenseigan itself came into existence, think of it to some degree of being another mutation that came from Kaguya Otsutsuki, such as the Sharingan coming from Hagomoro's son(Indra), Hagoromo himself obtaining the Rinnegan directly from Kaguya and the Tenseigan being essentially the same case, but applied for Hamura instead.

While one son(Hagoromo) obtained the Rinnegan from the Rinne-Sharingan mutation, the other obtained the Tenseigan from the Byakugan mutation from within Kaguya herself.

And for one to awaken them, one must have an Otsutsuki body, with the eyes of a Hyuga.

I even stated in The Last that for the Tenseigan to be activated, an Otsutsuki must obtain a "pure Byakugan", and due to being direct descendants of Hamura that stayed on Earth, Hinata and Hanabi were the perfect candidates.

It's the reason why Momoshiki, Kinshiki and even Kaguya herself didn't have them.

/thread. Next!!

Kin
10💸
Kumi
10💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Now the question is, how does an Otsutsuki not have a pure byakugan? Perhaps Hinata and Hanabi are direct descendents from Hamura's line (hence the princess title) and Toneri isn't.

Ensifer

Veteran
Kin
145💸
Kumi
412💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Now the question is, how does an Otsutsuki not have a pure byakugan? Perhaps Hinata and Hanabi are direct descendents from Hamura's line (hence the princess title) and Toneri isn't.
Because I ... am unfortunately from the Branch family, as for the Otsutsuki themselves we are essentially the "Senju" of Hamura's bloodline while the Hyuga's are the "Uchiha" of the bloodline. We are the bodies, they are the eyes.

It's similar as to how one must obtain both Senju DNA(body) and an Uchiha's eyes to awaken the Rinnegan.

Reactions: The Amazing Kaguya
Kin
10💸
Kumi
10💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Because I ... am unfortunately from the Branch family, as for the Otsutsuki themselves we are essentially the "Senju" of Hamura's bloodline while the Hyuga's are the "Uchiha" of the bloodline. We are the bodies, they are the eyes.

It's similar as to how one must obtain both Senju DNA(body) and an Uchiha's eyes to awaken the Rinnegan.
Yeah, that works. I am satisfied.

You must be registered for see images

SenseiSama

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Then what are the Kaguya clan ? I think Kimimaro is the "Senju" because he also mastered CS which is Senjutsu. And he had the same eye pigmentation as Indra suggesting he had Ootsutsuki traits..

Char Aznable

Elite
Kin
99💸
Kumi
69💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Then what are the Kaguya clan ? I think Kimimaro is the "Senju" because he also mastered CS which is Senjutsu. And he had the same eye pigmentation as Indra suggesting he had Ootsutsuki traits..
Mastering the curse mark isn't that big of a feat though. Certainly not a Senju feat. You had Sasuke, the Sound 5 and all these prisoners who were able to achieve CM level 2.

SatanicGod

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Mastering the curse mark isn't that big of a feat though. Certainly not a Senju feat. You had Sasuke, the Sound 5 and all these prisoners who were able to achieve CM level 2.

Those aren't people who mastered CM, those people in the scan are all failed attempts, they lost their minds and are going crazy...

SenseiSama

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

The CS was said to corrode the user's mind but unlike Juugo and everybody else, Sasuke and Kimimaro were the only ones that didn't go crazy and Kimimaro still managed to use its full power against Gaara despite being on the verge of death

Char Aznable

Elite
Kin
99💸
Kumi
69💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Those aren't people who mastered CM, those people in the scan are all failed attempts, they lost their minds and are going crazy...
They can't be failed attempts, because failed attempts die.

The CS was said to corrode the user's mind but unlike Juugo and everybody else, Sasuke and Kimimaro were the only ones that didn't go crazy and Kimimaro still managed to use its full power against Gaara despite being on the verge of death
Sakon and Udon said back in Part 1, that the curse mark corrodes the body the more and more you use it.

Losing yourself is going to happen, regardless of mastery or not. We just never saw a person who complexly lost themselves.

It's one of the reasons why Itachi wanted to seal and remove Orochimaru from Sasuke.