Heroic Black Woman Takes Down Racist Flag!

Isn't This Woman Such A Great Hero?

• Yes She is a hero and an example to others.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • ''One has a moral responsibility to obey unjust laws''

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • She is A Thug and Criminal. Rightfully Arrested.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Mayweather

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The Confederate flag was temporarily removed from the front of the South Carolina Statehouse on Saturday when a woman climbed the flagpole and — despite calls by police to get down — removed the banner.

Related Stories

Watch Bree Newsome climb a 30-foot flagpole to take down South Carolina's Confederate flag Vox.com
Confederate Flag: Turning the Tide on a Symbol of the South The Wall Street Journal
Latest on church shooting: Lawmaker backs Miss. flag change Associated Press
SC lawmakers overwhelmingly vote to debate Confederate flag Associated Press
South Carolina Lawmakers Agree To Debate Removing Confederate Flag Huffington Post
Bree Newsome, 30, of Charlotte, North Carolina, was about halfway up the more than 30-foot steel flagpole just after dawn Saturday when officers of the South Carolina Bureau of Protective Services ran to the flagpole and told her to get down. Instead, she continued climbing to the top and removed the flag.

She and a man who had climbed over a four-foot wrought-iron fence to get to the flag were arrested.

The flag, which is protected by state law, was raised about 45 minutes later, well ahead of a rally later Saturday by supporters of keeping the flag where it is.

Sherri Iacobelli, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Public Safety, said Newsome and James Ian Tyson, 30, also of Charlotte, have been charged with defacing monuments on state Capitol grounds. That's a misdemeanor that carries a fine of up to $5,000 and a prison term of up to three years or both.

A staff member at the Alvin Glenn Detention Center where the two were taken said she did not know if they had attorneys. About the time of her arrest, Newsome released an email statement to the media.

View galleryPolice surround the flagpole flying the Confederate …
Police surround the flagpole flying the Confederate battle flag at a Confederate monument at the Sta …
"We removed the flag today because we can't wait any longer. We can't continue like this another day," it said. "It's time for a new chapter where we are sincere about dismantling white supremacy and building toward true racial justice and equality."

Authorities said Newsome was from Raleigh. However, Mervyn Marcano, a spokesman for the small group of activists who worked together to take down the flag, said she had recently moved to Charlotte.

Tamika Lewis, another member of the group, said taking down the flag "was done because we were tired of waiting for the judicial system to make the decision they have been prolonging for a very long time."

Later Saturday, about 50 people who support keeping the flag held a rally at the statehouse. Many were waving Confederate flags as they shouted "Heritage Not Hate!"

"This is not a flag of hate. It's a flag of heritage, and we have a right to our heritage," said Leland Browder of Greenville. "And, you know, I'm from the South and proud of the South and, you know, proud of this flag."

View galleryBree Newsome of Charlotte, N.C., climbs a flagpole …
Bree Newsome of Charlotte, N.C., climbs a flagpole to remove the Confederate battle flag at a Confed …
Supporters also said the voters should decide the fate of the flag and shouted: "Let the People Vote."

Calls for removing the flag have been renewed since nine black churchgoers were killed in what police characterized as a racist attack at a Charleston, South Carolina church last week.

South Carolina lawmakers took the initial steps last Tuesday toward removing the Confederate battle flag from the Statehouse grounds by agreeing to allow discussion of the matter during the legislative session.

The agreement came a day after Republican Gov. Nikki Haley reversed course and called for the divisive symbol to come down. The flag has flown in front of the state Capitol for 15 years after being moved from atop the Statehouse dome.

The NAACP praised Newsome for her actions and called on authorities to treat her with leniency.

"Prosecutors should treat Ms. Newsome with the same large-hearted measure of justice that inspired her actions. The NAACP stands with our youth and behind the multigenerational band of activists fighting the substance and symbols of bigotry, hatred and intolerance," NAACP President Cornell William Brooks said in an emailed statement.

Some state lawmakers, however, worried that Newsome's actions will hurt efforts to bring the flag down permanently.

"There are 2 ways the Confederate Flag can be removed forever. Citizens please engage legally or we lose!" state Sen. Marlon Kimpson of Charleston, a Democrat, said on his Twitter account.

And, in another tweet, Republican state Sen. Shane Massey of Edgefield said such actions" will make this discussion much more difficult." Both lawmakers favor bringing down the flag.

Last edited:

ZK

Legendary
Kin
821💸
Kumi
46,283💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
He is obvious a racist bigot, that shouldn't be taken seriously.
You don't have to be a racist to respect history. Whatever you may think of the Confederate States its formation was a critical juncture in US and Dixie history. About a hundred thousand Confederate soldiers died in the American Civil War fighting for the sovereignty of what they felt was their true homeland. Sure, some of them probably just wanted to keep whipping black people and shit, but like in most wars you'll find that most soldiers aren't very ideologically invested in the wars they're fighting. Often they've been coerced into fighting, are fighting because of Nationalism in one form or another, or fight to defend themselves. I don't see why respecting the sacrifices of the people who died in the American Civil War is racist. Even if it was the war is still a piece of American history; it should be widely discussed and debated, not hidden away. I don't much agree with the Danes' actions during the Stockholm Bloodbath, but I'm not ashamed of it. It's my country's history.

By the way; that flag's not the flag of Southern Carolina, nor the flag of the Confederate States of America:

Mayweather

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You don't have to be a racist to respect history. Whatever you may think of the Confederate States its formation was a critical juncture in US and Dixie history. About a hundred thousand Confederate soldiers died in the American Civil War fighting for the sovereignty of what they felt was their true homeland. Sure, some of them probably just wanted to keep whipping black people and shit, but like in most wars you'll find that most soldiers aren't very ideologically invested in the wars they're fighting. Often they've been coerced into fighting, are fighting because of Nationalism in one form or another, or fight to defend themselves. I don't see why respecting the sacrifices of the people who died in the American Civil War is racist. Even if it was the war is still a piece of American history; it should be widely discussed and debated, not hidden away. I don't much agree with the Danes' actions during the Stockholm Bloodbath, but I'm not ashamed of it. It's my country's history.

By the way; that flag's not the flag of Southern Carolina, nor the flag of the Confederate States of America:

No one is saying not to respect or acknowledge the countrys past whether good or bad. What we are saying is that such controversial issues such as the flag should not be displayed openly by the government of that nation when it was known to represent something many people within the state and outside deem to be disrespectful and racist. I have no issues putting it in a national historic museum where people can come and view it and learn about the history but do not fly it on government buildings when you know it can cause pain and sadness to people.

Why don't the germans openly hang the nazi flags in their government owned buildings?? Why don't they celebrate their so called history or heritage? Why because it is wrong!

''You don't have to be racist to respect history''? Yes! You also don't have to be abusive and insulting to others by respecting that same history. That flag stands for treason and is a symbol of racism in my opinion, and should not be supported by the government. If you want to use it on your own private property you are free to do so as you have freedom of expression. However, the government, which is by the people and for the people must remain unbiased.

ZK

Legendary
Kin
821💸
Kumi
46,283💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No one is saying not to respect or acknowledge the countrys past whether good or bad. What we are saying is that such controversial issues such as the flag should not be displayed openly by the government of that nation when it was known to represent something many people within the state and outside deem to be disrespectful and racist. I have no issues putting it in a national historic museum where people can come and view it and learn about the history but do not fly it on government buildings when you know it can cause pain and sadness to people.

Why don't the germans openly hang the nazi flags in their government owned buildings?? Why don't they celebrate their so called history or heritage? Why because it is wrong!

''You don't have to be racist to respect history''? Yes! You also don't have to be abusive and insulting to others by respecting that same history. That flag stands for treason and is a symbol of racism in my opinion, and should not be supported by the government. If you want to use it on your own private property you are free to do so as you have freedom of expression. However, the government, which is by the people and for the people must remain unbiased.
Unbiased? But your version of an unbiased government is one that agrees with you.
Treason? Harsh thing to call secessionists. The Constitution says nothing about secession. Would you call the Basque people traitors?

Abusive and insulting? Maybe I start to find Gay Prides abusive and insulting. Why has the White House changed its profile picture to something that unquestionably supports LGBTs and their now established right to marry? That's biased.

But bias is what a government does. That's why you elect human beings with opinions and feelings instead of automatons. If the elected state government of Southern Carolina feels that hanging a (wrong) Confederate flag on their front porch is the way to go then God damn it they should be allowed to. They're elected officials and yes, they have a responsibility to the people, but you elected them, well-aware of their political ideology.

Is public resistance and civil disobedience sometimes justified? I'd say so, but let's not pretend that the (wrong) Confederate flag is what's keeping the 'black man down.'

Mayweather

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Unbiased? But your version of an unbiased government is one that agrees with you.
Treason? Harsh thing to call secessionists. The Constitution says nothing about secession. Would you call the Basque people traitors?

Abusive and insulting? Maybe I start to find Gay Prides abusive and insulting. Why has the White House changed its profile picture to something that unquestionably supports LGBTs and their now established right to marry? That's biased.

But bias is what a government does. That's why you elect human beings with opinions and feelings instead of automatons. If the elected state government of Southern Carolina feels that hanging a (wrong) Confederate flag on their front porch is the way to go then God damn it they should be allowed to. They're elected officials and yes, they have a responsibility to the people, but you elected them, well-aware of their political ideology.

Is public resistance and civil disobedience sometimes justified? I'd say so, but let's not pretend that the (wrong) Confederate flag is what's keeping the 'black man down.'
No but lets not also pretend and paint the ''white man'' as a saint and show his true colors. That agrees with me? Now! There has been a massive outcry from individuals within the state and outside to remove the flag. Even the government LEGISLATORS have filled the bill to remove it and the GOVERNOR has come out to say that it should be moved from government property. So tell me again how the so called ''unbiased government'' AGREES WITH ME? As you can see or research yourself many people have called for it to be taken down or removed even the STATES OWN GOVERNOR.

Nearly 50 to 60 years ago a black man could not eat in the same restaurant or drink from the same fountain as the white man. So enough is ENOUGH! We demand it is taken down! I commend this hero for doing so!

ZK

Legendary
Kin
821💸
Kumi
46,283💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No but lets not also pretend and paint the ''white man'' as a saint and show his true colors. That agrees with me? Now! There has been a massive outcry from individuals within the state and outside to remove the flag. Even the government LEGISLATORS have filled the bill to remove it and the GOVERNOR has come out to say that it should be moved from government property. So tell me again how the so called ''unbiased government'' AGREES WITH ME? As you can see or research yourself many people have called for it to be taken down or removed even the STATES OWN GOVERNOR.

Nearly 50 to 60 years ago a black man could not eat in the same restaurant or drink from the same fountain as the white man. So enough is ENOUGH! We demand it is taken down! I commend this hero for doing so!
I'm not sure when I ever implied that 'the white man' was a saint. I hate using that term, by the way, because it implies a sort of ethnic camaraderie, as if I didn't have enough religious, national and socio-economic labels boxing me already.
There was also a 'massive outcry' from Texans who were of the opinion that Texas should secede from the Union after Obama was elected President.

What is 'massive outcry' and how does it make this flagpole-climbing woman a hero? Heroes do shit that matters, that makes a difference. Civil disobedience, peaceful protests, organizing political organizations, all these and more have been the tools of modern-day heroes.

And don't bring history into this debate. Not like that, anyway. You think what was so 50-60 years ago grants you any special right or exemptions today? Talk about systemic racism all you want, but equality before the law has been guaranteed for years. 101 years ago I couldn't vote, but things have changed. Demanding change won't make it happen. You need a big, organized following that doesn't employ violence to bring about positive change in national policy.

Not that I think you should get the flag taken down. Let the State Government fly the flag they want. Take it as a cue to organize the people of Southern Carolina. Their votes can make a difference.
But really, all I'm getting from you is that you want something that offends you removed. This seems to be the predominant viewpoint among some groups in the US. Why do you care? I understand that you want to challenge their opinion, but this way of thinking limits and restricts the public debate. It censors unorthodox parts of the ideological spectrum. Why not just look at the flag and take a few moments to go over the reasons why you believe the flag is a negative symbol instead? If you start smacking people who disagree with you... there's something about a slippery slope, you know?
We've got a small Nazi party in Køge. I love them. They remind me why I don't want to be a Nazi.

Mayweather

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm not sure when I ever implied that 'the white man' was a saint. I hate using that term, by the way, because it implies a sort of ethnic camaraderie, as if I didn't have enough religious, national and socio-economic labels boxing me already.
There was also a 'massive outcry' from Texans who were of the opinion that Texas should secede from the Union after Obama was elected President.

What is 'massive outcry' and how does it make this flagpole-climbing woman a hero? Heroes do shit that matters, that makes a difference. Civil disobedience, peaceful protests, organizing political organizations, all these and more have been the tools of modern-day heroes.

And don't bring history into this debate. Not like that, anyway. You think what was so 50-60 years ago grants you any special right or exemptions today? Talk about systemic racism all you want, but equality before the law has been guaranteed for years. 101 years ago I couldn't vote, but things have changed. Demanding change won't make it happen. You need a big, organized following that doesn't employ violence to bring about positive change in national policy.

Not that I think you should get the flag taken down. Let the State Government fly the flag they want. Take it as a cue to organize the people of Southern Carolina. Their votes can make a difference.
But really, all I'm getting from you is that you want something that offends you removed. This seems to be the predominant viewpoint among some groups in the US. Why do you care? I understand that you want to challenge their opinion, but this way of thinking limits and restricts the public debate. It censors unorthodox parts of the ideological spectrum. Why not just look at the flag and take a few moments to go over the reasons why you believe the flag is a negative symbol instead? If you start smacking people who disagree with you... there's something about a slippery slope, you know?
We've got a small Nazi party in Køge. I love them. They remind me why I don't want to be a Nazi.
If 125,746 people out of a state that has well over 20 million is a ''massive outcry'' or a majority opinion the you sir might need to check your values again! Køge is a seaport on the coast of Køge Bugt (Bay of Køge) 39 km southwest of Copenhagen in DENMARK!!! Mass jew genocide and killing of millions in gas chambers were not in denmark, it was in germany and in that country it is prohibited your point is thus void and deemed irrelevant.

That flag is TREASONOUS!! It is HATRED!! Face the facts!!! If it is your HERITAGE Then its a RACIST ONE!!! Enough.Th south has a strong hatred for us negroes especially now the president has a black skin. Off-course not all.

Equality?? DON'T make me laugh. If equality means a police officer shooting a black man running from him eight times in the back and being charged for murder then NO THANKS! Keep your FREEDOM! The negroes are tired of being OPPRESSED! Dont you get it?? Urghhh

Last edited:

ZK

Legendary
Kin
821💸
Kumi
46,283💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
If 125,746 people out of a state that has well over 20 million is a ''massive outcry'' or a majority opinion the you sir might need to check your values again! Køge is a seaport on the coast of Køge Bugt (Bay of Køge) 39 km southwest of Copenhagen in DENMARK!!! Mass jew genocide and killing of millions in gas chambers were not in denmark, it was in germany and in that country it is prohibited your point is thus void and deemed irrelevant.

That flag is TREASONOUS!! It is HATRED!! Face the facts!!! If it is your HERITAGE Then its a RACIST ONE!!! Enough.Th south has a strong hatred for us negroes especially now the president has a black skin. Off-course not all.

Equality?? DON'T make me laugh. If equality means a police officer shooting a black man running from him eight times in the back and being charged for murder then NO THANKS! Keep your FREEDOM! The negroes are tired of being OPPRESSED! Dont you get it?? Urghhh
I know what country I live in. I was just trying to include an example of something most people don't like being accepted as a part of a democratic system. Denmark was occupied by Germany. We weren't treated terribly, but we did treat the defeated Germans and what was then called 'Field Mattresses' (the Danish girlfriends of German soldiers) like crap.
But no, there's been no 'great tragedy' or brutal regime in Denmark for a long time, but we've had our share of incidents. You might remember the Mohammed Cartoons. Lots of people didn't like those, but our government's been fighting for the cartoonist's right to draw and publish them, not because they agree with him, but because we need to allow everyone freedom of expression, not just the ones we agree with.

I wrinkle my nose every time I see the Black Panther logo on Broly's profile, but asking him to remove it because I don't like it? I'd never do that.

Maybe it is a racist one, but that doesn't make it any less of a heritage. Politicians here still blame immigrants for a lot of things and things that are 'un-Danish' are not entirely accepted yet. I can't change my history. With enough voters behind me I could change the history books; but why would I want to do that? I'm Danish, with everything that entails. You should be American, with everything that entails, not just African-American.

I don't know about equality. You can't (and shouldn't) police people's thoughts and opinions. You can make laws and go from there.
How about taking the first step, extending a hand in friendship instead of climbing flagpoles?

Mayweather

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I know what country I live in. I was just trying to include an example of something most people don't like being accepted as a part of a democratic system. Denmark was occupied by Germany. We weren't treated terribly, but we did treat the defeated Germans and what was then called 'Field Mattresses' (the Danish girlfriends of German soldiers) like crap.
But no, there's been no 'great tragedy' or brutal regime in Denmark for a long time, but we've had our share of incidents. You might remember the Mohammed Cartoons. Lots of people didn't like those, but our government's been fighting for the cartoonist's right to draw and publish them, not because they agree with him, but because we need to allow everyone freedom of expression, not just the ones we agree with.

I wrinkle my nose every time I see the Black Panther logo on Broly's profile, but asking him to remove it because I don't like it? I'd never do that.

Maybe it is a racist one, but that doesn't make it any less of a heritage. Politicians here still blame immigrants for a lot of things and things that are 'un-Danish' are not entirely accepted yet. I can't change my history. With enough voters behind me I could change the history books; but why would I want to do that? I'm Danish, with everything that entails. You should be American, with everything that entails, not just African-American.

I don't know about equality. You can't (and shouldn't) police people's thoughts and opinions. You can make laws and go from there.
How about taking the first step, extending a hand in friendship instead of climbing flagpoles?
We have a moral obligation to disobey in-just laws and practices. After-all what hitler was doing in germany was considered legal was it not? Why should the government be biased to any group of people either blacks or white? Why should a supposedly unbiased government fly a symbol of hatred and racism and most importantly TREASON! When it is not the flag of the country! Why cant you keep it in MUSEUM? Zero kelvin WHY? WHY?!! Must you put it in the blacks faces and remind us of a time that the white man use to push us around and beat us and when flirting with a white woman can get you killed for example young emmet till. Why don't you want to fly it at your home? Why must the government who should cater to the needs of all people not just ''SOUTHERN WHITES'' have to represent such symbol? Please don't be a bigot and let us use common sense.

That flag is a reminder of how our forefathers were treated! They were bought from africa as slaves and forced to work under hard labor.

ZK

Legendary
Kin
821💸
Kumi
46,283💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
We have a moral obligation to disobey in-just laws and practices. After-all what hitler was doing in germany was considered legal was it not? Why should the government be biased to any group of people either blacks or white? Why should a supposedly unbiased government fly a symbol of hatred and racism and most importantly TREASON! When it is not the flag of the country! Why cant you keep it in MUSEUM? Zero kelvin WHY? WHY?!! Must you put it in the blacks faces and remind us of a time that the white man use to push us around and beat us and when flirting with a white woman can get you killed for example young emmet till. Why don't you want to fly it at your home? Why must the government who should cater to the needs of all people not just ''SOUTHERN WHITES'' have to represent such symbol? Please don't be a bigot and let us use common sense.

That flag is a reminder of how our forefathers were treated! They were bought from africa as slaves and forced to work under hard labor.
I'm not reminding you of anything. Your grandfather might have participated in the Civil Rights Movement, but you most certainly did not.

Why can't I keep it in a museum? Again, I'm not keeping anything anywhere, but I'm sure there are lots of Confederate flags in a lot of museums. I'm surprised you keep coming back to racism, though. Why can't the flag be a symbol of Southern Unity, or maybe a symbol of resistance against the federal government? Secession, even?

The Civil War wasn't the black-haters versus the black-lovers. Other stuff happened. Other stuff was relevant.

And why do you insist that government is or should be unbiased? It isn't and it never will be. The people who fly that flag? They were democratically elected. I'm not asking you to accept majority-rule with no fuss, but maybe if you stopped focusing on the flag and started focusing on the people who voted for the current SC state government you could get somewhere.

There's a powerful argument to be made if you stop tearing down flags and start organizing people instead.

And by the way? You're not reminded of your forefathers when you see the Confederate flag. Just like so many other people I'm fairly certain you can't even name your ancestors more than four generations back... and even if you could I'm very, very sure you don't share their memories of oppression.

Oh - and white men may have sailed you, but there's a very good chance the Congolese caught sold your ancestors.