samridh

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hello guys,
I have never been serious for sketching/drawing/art but I just tried drawing sketch ( sketching and shading) of a person( face only) and I guess I might improve on it and make it look more realistic.
I want to gift it to someone .........my farewell. :'(

Please help me with advice/tips or links/tutorial that you can assure will help at my problems.
I am uploading my drawing and altered image of the source as I don't want to affect privacy of the owner.

[

[

Last edited:

wanderingcactus

Veteran
Kin
2,117💸
Kumi
1,383💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
why that specific picture?

but in terms of shading, pic a specific direction and shade only that direction like this one (obviously you can make it finer but I picked this one to show what I was trying to say):

You must be registered for see images

notice the direction of the shade lines is only going in one direction, you can also do a cross shadowing as well like so:

although that's mainly to emphasize the intensity of the shadowing, whether it should be darker or not.

samridh

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
why that specific picture?

but in terms of shading, pic a specific direction and shade only that direction like this one (obviously you can make it finer but I picked this one to show what I was trying to say):

notice the direction of the shade lines is only going in one direction, you can also do a cross shadowing as well like so:

although that's mainly to emphasize the intensity of the shadowing, whether it should be darker or not.
Thanks for responding @wanderingcactus :)
Well, I chose that image randomly for practice from one of my acquaintances (I have altered the original file to this bright and light ver for privacy)
This style is very refined and pretty different of what I have been doing.
Also, do we smudge those shading lines, as in img1 at the cheek of the kid or do we just draw fine lines, and the white space in between dense shades, I wonder how to do those?

~Mara~

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
hello my friend
what u should do :
practice
and by practice I mean practice your skills plus your eyes
how to practice your eyes ?
check ALOT of art each day this will make your brain and eyes understand when you are doing an anatomy mistake or a proportion mistake so you can fix it before you end the drawing
practice makes it perfect
also you need to check such topics :
eyes tutorials
nose tutorials
and like every single body part ...
artists will show you how it is done EASILY so you dont go through the trouble of figuring it out
I started really bad but with hard work I am better now
dont give up !

SHARINGAN_USER UCHIHA_ITACHI

Supreme
Kin
115💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hello guys,
I have never been serious for sketching/drawing/art but I just tried drawing sketch ( sketching and shading) of a person( face only) and I guess I might improve on it and make it look more realistic.

Please help me with advice/tips or links/tutorial that you can assure will help at my problems.
I am uploading my drawing and altered image of the source as I don't want to affect privacy of the owner.

[

[
if its ur starting then may be u should try taking help from some sketch apps..like it will turn this pic into a sketch so u can draw the basics more accurate and better than this one..plus u don have to draw whole lips outline there are some stuff ha should only be draw with just shades and not the outline itself....

HyuugaHeir

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hello guys,

[

[
I believe doing portraits takes courage and I commend you for that.
What can I suggest? Uhmmm if you want to make it more realistic, I think you might want to take note of the details and spaces like the space between two eyes is generally an eye. and the width of the nose also stretches to cover that space usually. The relative sizes and details of the eyes, nose and lips, together with how they are enclosed by the overall shape of the face are my greatest endeavour wwhen I do portraits.

Also consider notable features and how to not over emphasize them. Shading finishes the job. The right shade and shadows bring out depth and realness.

For your sketch, I think the cheeks are a bit bigger that what they are supposed to and as a whole contribute to a different subject. Try fixing the relative sizes and distances of her features. Kudos to your courage.

Misо

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hello guys,

[

[
Choose a more clear picture that shows her features better.

Also, you could try tracing the picture if youre a beginner, so you could accurately place her features where they should be.