Iventera

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The national channel named "ERT"-broadcasting since 1938,even during times of war and political crisis-was shut down today at 23:30.The government,after a long while of saying otherwise,announced the closing of the channel today and the police forcibly shut the transmitters in most places around the country and this way fired 2900 people who work at the channel. Now the transmission is only done via the internet and two radio stations that stil remain. All around the country people have gathered in the topical stations protesting for this profoundly fascistic move. This peaceful protest has been going on for approximately six hours and more people are gathering in Athens at the moment.Thousands of artists,politicians and all sorts of ordinary people are saying a huge no to the shut-down of the only remaining voice of independent journalism n Greece.
I was wondering if this was known and would like to hear your opinion.

Iventera

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't live in Greece but this is interesting. Why was it shut down
The government official responsible for the mass media of the country declared today that it is going to be shut down because it isn't profitable and because the funds used for it haven't been demonstrated in the right way by the employees.But as most people both from the political world and the world of journalism declare it was actually a profitable organisation until the current and previous government started giving a big amount of its profit to other less profitable channels.Also the most outrageous thing about it is that the official who said all these things was in fact in charge of the channel last year.In truth this move is a way to shut the voice of Greeks around the world , since this channel was broadcasting worldwide to all the immigrants..

Reactions: YowYan

Aertes

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Calling ERT the only remaining voice of independent journalism in Greece is such an overstatement.The means and the way government chose to act in this matter is provocative and may be characterized fascistic.But that doesn't change the fact that ERT was non profitable for many years,had employes that didn't even show up to work but they were getting payed and the paycheck of the superior executives and managers were huge.Not to mention that a public organism which was maintained by money Greek citizens payed was also taking money from non public corporations.
The quality of the broadcasted programs wasn't even that great in contrast with what people were paying for that organism.Public channels were influenced by the government as much as all other channels.But in their case,we had to pay them too.

Iventera

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Calling ERT the only remaining voice of independent journalism in Greece is such an overstatement.The means and the way government chose to act in this matter is provocative and may be characterized fascistic.But that doesn't change the fact that ERT was non profitable for many years,had employes that didn't even show up to work but they were getting payed and the paycheck of the superior executives and managers were huge.Not to mention that a public organism which was maintained by money Greek citizens payed was also taking money from non public corporations.
The quality of the broadcasted programs wasn't even that great in contrast with what people were paying for that organism.Public channels were influenced by the government as much as all other channels.But in their case,we had to pay them too.
It is indeed true that ERT was non profitable, although that is something the government itself caused with the decisions it made, but nothing justifies the closure of a channel this way without consulting the parliament and voting for it.They made a decision for which only 21 ministers voted and not even the other parties of the government approve(at least for now).That is undeniably a violation of whatever democracy was left in this country since it goes against the laws of the constitution..

Aertes

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It is indeed true that ERT was non profitable, although that is something the government itself caused with the decisions it made, but nothing justifies the closure of a channel this way without consulting the parliament and voting for it.They made a decision for which only 21 ministers voted and not even the other parties of the government approve(at least for now).That is undeniably a violation of whatever democracy was left in this country since it goes against the laws of the constitution..
We can't only blame government for everything.ERT has it's own staff members and councils for making decisions and government didn't interfere with the way ERT chose to manage the money,nor the program the organism broadcasted.I don't disagree with the fact that the way the decision was made was bad,but I can only agree with that decision.I am not willing to pay taxes to maintain and support an organism that even with public and non public money influx is still not profitable and doesn't have much quality to offer.It was a move that needed to be done years ago.
This isn't the only decision that goes against the laws of constitution and such acts should be condemned,but it's not that the voice of the people has been silenced.ERT was one of the most governmental influenced organism.A large amount of the people who worked there were recruited because they had a connection with the government.That organization was honestly a plague for the people who had to pay those taxes for it.And since I do pay such taxes,I am happy that someone decided to do something about that.It's not like it's been shut down forever, it's supposed to be refunded and reestablished in a way that it's going to become profitable.
Our democracy is violated everyday with the new laws and measures, I wished people remembered that all the time and not only when something big happens.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That sucks .. :| ..
How does that suck? 99% of media is controlled by the Illuminati, there are so many Illuminati symbols/ideologies that can be found in most TV shows. TV was created to program you, sadly a majority of the world is affected by this and I'm trying to stop myself from being a victim.

Still don't believe me?
Here, see this skip to 3:12. He'll explain why the TV was invented.

[video=youtube;eDscv9CNo6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDscv9CNo6I[/video]

Last edited:

Jin Hayami

Veteran
Kin
-3💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Communication is the most vital resource the people have against their government. Take that away and all you have left is propaganda and ignorance. Trust me. I do this for a living.

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
How does that suck? 99% of media is controlled by the Illuminati, there are so many Illuminati symbols/ideologies that can be found in most TV shows. TV was created to program you, sadly a majority of the world is affected by this and I'm trying to stop myself from being a victim.

Still don't believe me?
Here, see this skip to 3:12. He'll explain why the TV was invented.

[video=youtube;eDscv9CNo6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDscv9CNo6I[/video]

Lol broski got infatuated with the illuminati videos :p