Happy Medium

XXXNation
Kin
11💸
Kumi
21💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We don’t know much about genjutsu, because none of the protagonists use it and so it doesn’t get proper explanations the way ninjutsu does.
What we do know is that genjutsu works by somehow inducing a controlled modification in your target’s chakra flow, which somehow alters their perception of the world. This is why the easiest way to rid oneself of most genjutsu is to interrupt and reboot one’s chakra flow, much like you might switch a computer off and on again when it hits a snag: the rebooted chakra flow is not affected by the genjutsu.
(Lots of people, including most fanfic writers I’ve seen touch on the topic, seem to believe that a genjutsu is some kind of chakra construct one builds around oneself and the environment. That’s a Henge — a Transformation jutsu — one of the basic techniques taught at the Academy. Genjutsu has a completely different mechanism and potentially affects all the target’s senses.)
What we don’t know is how this works in practice. It appears as though a combination of specific sensory input combined with chakra can trap the person it hits in a genjutsu, going by Tayuya’s technique; it also appears as though genjutsu can be transmitted through touch, going by the mist-based genjutsu used by the Second and Fourth Mizukage as well as the technique used to interrogate Rin in Kakashi’s backstory. Generally, the principle seems to be that you send a bit of your chakra into your opponent and make it mess with his or her native chakra flow, and somehow sensory input can help with that.
However, we then run into the issue that the Sharingan doesn’t seem to have any mechanism to do that through simple eye contact, and, as the question mentions, Itachi managed to cast a genjutsu simply by pointing his finger at Naruto.
My personal interpretation of the latter case, and of the role of sensory input in general, is that the genjutsu user sends chakra into his or her victim, then uses sensory manipulation to trigger or control that chakra’s actions in some fashion. That would explain Tayuya’s technique (her flute’s sound carries chakra and manipulates it at the same time) and Itachi’s (he sent some chakra into Naruto at some point prior, then triggered the genjutsu with his gesture).
That doesn’t account for the sharingan’s power, though, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything that does.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What's the issue?

Sharingan users project directly to the brain via eye contact(optic nerve). The users can affect some or all of the opponents senses via manipulating the chakra in the brain(origin of sensory expereince). All genjutsu works on these principles, but can be activated via different senses. It's a field which should have more exploration and different types of genjutsu should be developed.

Reactions: Tyris

Tyris

Veteran
Kin
238💸
Kumi
171💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
i always figured since genjutsu is yin release it acts with more fluidity/malleability as the opposite of ninjutsu which is a physical chakra construct(ed) attack launched at an opponent whereas the spiritual attack wouldn't be something definitively corporeal and works akin to demonic possession which wouldn't be seen unless directly tied to the yin realm(spirit/limbo realm if you will) that required the closest dojutsu(RS) match to the juubi incarnate's... in the case of the Sharingan i believe it's fully capable of launching/inducing spiritual attacks/possession at glance due to it's inherent connection to that realm of the unseen/unknown and Itachi was just best at controlling that yin energy if that makes sense at all lol

Edit: i also think it(genjutsu) works as a sort of "battle of wills" like the Force and kinda like invisible ki blasts in dbz so willpower comes in play... you need the mental/spiritual ability to know your'e under genjutsu and strength to flush/or beat back that foreign chakra to break out of an genjutsu and Itachi's willpower is FUCKING BROKEN so a finger(think freiza deathbeam but spiritual) should suffice given his precise control of chakra also.

Last edited:
Reactions: salamander uchiha