Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well, nothing is perfect, of course. The one thing I didn't like was

Greed's "I just wanted to make friends, after all", even though it had been emphasized before how he believed his friends to be just possessions, etc.

I might have been the only one, but to me, it felt like it was somewhat OOC. I kind of get where it came from, but still, back then I thought there wasn't enough development preceding it.

Nevertheless, FMA never really disappointed me, unlike most other similar manga series I picked up afterwards.
I have to agree about that one. lol It was obvious that he was going somewhat in that direction when he regained his memories after killing his "beast friend". The sins themselves didn't impress me much. Not a manga I would read for the villains.

What I noticed first and somewhat surprised me that no one comments on some of the similarities it has with other mangas like Naruto (villain sitting in a cave plotting for years and is attached with a big system harvesting souls/chakra energy..) H X H ( MC losing it's powers and lecture about human struggles lol) etc.. When they bring up most random things to scream stealing.

awesomeseimei

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have to agree about that one. lol It was obvious that he was going somewhat in that direction when he regained his memories after killing his "beast friend". The sins themselves didn't impress me much. Not a manga I would read for the villains.

What I noticed first and somewhat surprised me that no one comments on some of the similarities it has with other mangas like Naruto (villain sitting in a cave plotting for years and is attached with a big system harvesting souls/chakra energy..) H X H ( MC losing it's powers and lecture about human struggles lol) etc.. When they bring up most random things to scream stealing.
Like I said, I enjoyed Kimblee's character very much, though he was a side villain and didn't get to do much. Main villains had that family thing going on, which made sense but yeah, made them somewhat less impressive. I enjoyed the fights though, including the final one.

@Spoiler: I did think of that parallel with Madara back when his backstory was revealed.

Totsuka No Tsurugi

Legendary
Kin
53💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm sure you are probably recommending something good but, let's please go back to the thread topic. We can discuss other works by the mangka elsewhere.
Of course... am actually that one guy who actually read what the OP want in a recommendation thread rather than spamming what i liked, am sorry for the trouble and you may exterminate my post if you wish,

OT: Well to discuss this anime, i'll have to re watch the entire series since i don't really remember anything that much about this one, but the one thing that i can't forget about this anime is "The Truth" speech to Ed,

Now i want to re watch it....

Jɑégar

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I watched FMAB, but why is it that everytime I ask people about whether should I watch FMA or not that they tell me to not to?
I mean seriously, what's the difference? Should I watch it or not?

awesomeseimei

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I watched FMAB, but why is it that everytime I ask people about whether should I watch FMA or not that they tell me to not to?
Well, FMA on its own is actually quite enjoyable, I especially liked the movie, Conqueror of Shamballa, which served as the sequel/ending. It just sort of... makes less sense. It isn't as well-rounded as FMAB/manga, has more random filler-type things etc.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
People said it's more darker than FMA:B. It's because FMA isn't completely canon, not that it automatically means its bad but people prefer to watch the "real" thing. Watch it if you're interested in seeing an alternative ending instead that's apparently more darker.

Jɑégar

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well, FMA on its own is actually quite enjoyable, I especially liked the movie, Conqueror of Shamballa, which served as the sequel/ending. It just sort of... makes less sense. It isn't as well-rounded as FMAB/manga, has more random filler-type things etc.
People said it's more darker than FMA:B. It's because FMA isn't completely canon, not that it automatically means its bad but people prefer to watch the "real" thing. Watch it if you're interested in seeing an alternative ending instead that's apparently more darker.
Wait, so it's different than the manga and has more fillers?

fiend

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
FMA was made during the time manga was still in early phase Hiromu Arakawa didn't wanted to spoil the manga ending so the anime producers respecting her wishes went for an anime only end, first part is the same with the manga but second part has Dante as the antagonist my memory is hazy but first Edward dies and Alphonse uses the philosopher's stone to bring him back and then disappears then Edward sacrifices himself to bring back Alphonse but gets stuck in another Parallel dimension.

While FMAB followed the manga exactly and Father was the biggest antagonist and Edward sacrifices his power to use alchemy to bring back Alphonse's body.

So FMA diverged from the manga FMAB was exact as the manga. Also FMAB had better character development and iirc FMA had many new characters which weren't in the manga.

Jɑégar

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
FMA was made during the time manga was still in early phase Hiromu Arakawa didn't wanted to spoil the manga ending so the anime producers respecting her wishes went for an anime only end, first part is the same with the manga but second part has Dante as the antagonist my memory is hazy but first Edward dies and Alphonse uses the philosopher's stone to bring him back and then disappears then Edward sacrifices himself to bring back Alphonse but gets stuck in another Parallel dimension.

While FMAB followed the manga exactly and Father was the biggest antagonist and Edward sacrifices his power to use alchemy to bring back Alphonse's body.

So FMA diverged from the manga FMAB was exact as the manga. Also FMAB had better character development and iirc FMA had many new characters which weren't in the manga.
Aw, so that's why they made two Animes. Thnx for clearing it up tho!

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Of course... am actually that one guy who actually read what the OP want in a recommendation thread rather than spamming what i liked, am sorry for the trouble and you may exterminate my post if you wish,

OT: Well to discuss this anime, i'll have to re watch the entire series since i don't really remember anything that much about this one, but the one thing that i can't forget about this anime is "The Truth" speech to Ed,

Now i want to re watch it....
lol Take it easy will you?

The truth speech? All is one , one is all and I 'm you part? Kind of reminds me absolute monism of Adavit Vedanta school as well as Buddhism.

I found two interesting articles on it , some time back:

I was going to explain this really eloquently but:

Life is suffering.
Suffering is caused by desire. This is often expressed as a deluded clinging to a certain sense of existence, to selfhood, or to the things or phenomena that we consider the cause of happiness or unhappiness. Desire also has its negative aspect, i.e. one desire that a certain state of affairs not exist.
Suffering ends when desire ends. This is achieved by eliminating delusion, thereby reaching a liberated state of Enlightenment.
Reaching this liberated state is achieved by following the path laid out by the Buddha.

Al and Ed suffer first from their desire to see their mother, and then from their desire to get their bodies back.

This is why “Truth” is also “God” also “All” also “The World” also “The Universe” also “You.” It’s a Buddhist idea - wherein the Buddha mind permeates everything. Truth and Buddha is within us - but if we are unready to see it, we do not gain enlightenment. It’s why what Ed does in the ending (you know what I mean) is so important. In the beginning, Ed tries to relieve his suffering caused by desire by fixating on the thing that would get him what he wanted - human transmutation. But life and death are intertwined, a natural part of the cycle all must come to terms with. One is all. All is One. Or “One of the central tenets of Buddhism, is the denial of a separate permanent “I”…At the heart of Buddhism, is the realization of no “self” or “I” (and hence the delusion) as a separate self-existing entity.”

Oh hey. Did that look like dharma the laws of the universe to you? Equivalent exchange? Anyone?

Dharma is the gateway to Truth.

The Laws of Equivalent exchange use the gateway to Truth to perform Alchemy.

Yeah. Also the truth is you because truth is within everyone, which is why the Truth changes. And takes different things. I could go on, but you get the idea. Also let’s talk forever about Scar and his perfect dual negative/positive streams that make him balanced. <3

Ps that Giant gateway to the truth has a big freakin’ tree on it.
berchina.tumblr.com/post/11183277592/full-metal-alchemist-is-about-buddhism

And this one:

Quite a detailed analysis.

Watch it. It's as canon as the manga even if the story line is different. Because the writer herself asked for different endings ( to avoid spoiling it for manga) and participated in the story line of the anime too. So Just take it as two different endings. They changed the starting in FMAB - I guess to make it different ..

Last edited:

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Actually the first episode of FMA:B was filler iirc. I forgot to mention that so I guess you can skip the 1st ep. Although I won't recommend it since the first episode was pretty good.

AnimusOra

Veteran
Kin
25💸
Kumi
2,253💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I love the story of FMA. Honestly because of this i often see myself clapping really loud now :| A little secret of mine......when i come into work on Saturday's and no one is around i walk outside to my warehouse and make a huge clap just to here the echos and acoustics. Sometimes its the greatest feeling(Would be alot better if i actually transmuted something :))

Luminousi

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Personally I don't think the live action will be very good. Going live action with something as great as FMA is just setting up for failure.

koeki

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In my Opinion this Anime was one of the best I have ever watched. I cried so much and had so much Joy in both of the Variations. It was just great.