Free Will?

Jediah

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What do you guys think: do we have free will or don't we?
:confused:

EDIT:
When I say "free will", I don't mean that you can fly or something like that: free will simply means that your thoughts and feelings are not controlled by nature but they are controlled by you and you alone.

Think about free will in this way:

If you could go back in time and your memory was restored to exactly how it was back then, could you have done things differently to the way you did them the first time?

If your answer is yes, then you believe in free-will.
If your answer is no, then you don't.

So - what do you believe ?

Last edited:

Pesh

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
1,280💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Ahh... we will always be restricted at some point, but for the better or the worse I think its better for all human beings or maybe all beings on the planet, because people can be very dangerous

Jediah

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Ahh... we will always be restricted at some point, but for the better or the worse I think its better for all human beings or maybe all beings on the planet, because people can be very dangerous
Agree with Pesh on this =]

I see what you mean.
It's true that people are physically restrained and that their actions are somewhat restricted by nature, but that is not exactly what I meant by free-will.

I have added a description under the question in the main post to help you understand what the question is actually asking.

Please - answer again and tell me what you think. :D

Pesh

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
1,280💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I see what you mean.
It's true that people are physically restrained and that their actions are somewhat restricted by nature, but that is not exactly what I meant by free-will.

I have added a description under the question in the main post to help you understand what the question is actually asking.

Please - answer again and tell me what you think. :D
Gosh! I know what you mean by free- will. We are restricted from laws, rules and everything around.

Rei

Legendary
Kin
5,001,259💸
Kumi
527💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We don't have a free will, i think that's clear O_O
society, nature, even our bodies and mind are restricted in multiple ways.
but i think that the goal is to overcome those obstacles and manage to put our free and total will in every thing we do.

Faceless

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I myself, believe in pre-ordination (that fact that everything in the future is already set to happen) but of course, we still need to make a lot of decisions in our lives.

It's kind of like heading towards a destination, judging by our actions we may get there, others might get there faster since they have a map or something like that but if we''re not careful, we might end up in the wrong place.

Typhon

Legendary
Kin
664💸
Kumi
6,684💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't believe we're restricted by any sort of pre-destined fate or some Godly being but rather by the limits of our body and mind. Depending on how you were raised, how your genes are laid out and how your body's chemistry works you will be more inclined to make certain decisions in certain situations. This can be mistaken for free will as you're "thinking" about what to do. But your body itself determines how you "think" during these situations.

Reactions: Jediah

Cirus

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Every person has free will. It is just when a person uses certain areas of free will there are consequences to those actions.

Basically every person is free to kill another human being. Just that once you do it there will be a down side afterwords.

Emperor

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah, I completely believe in free will.
I believe that,
Since God is judging us by our actions, if we have no free will, then that judgment will be useless, since someone else is controlling us to do something.
And since God isn't likely to make mistakes like that, we do have it.

Ofc, atheists will decry this argument, but hey, I believe it.

Lili-Chwan

Legendary
Kin
3,929💸
Kumi
2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't believe we're restricted by any sort of pre-destined fate or some Godly being but rather by the limits of our body and mind. Depending on how you were raised, how your genes are laid out and how your body's chemistry works you will be more inclined to make certain decisions in certain situations. This can be mistaken for free will as you're "thinking" about what to do. But your body itself determines how you "think" during these situations.
I agree with your bold part. The un-bold part is just an interpretation of that one, which I don't agree. Even if you have all the inclinations, there is always a that improbability or twist of events, mainly because you don't live alone and the way you act around people sets a great deal on our decisions.

Eve a guy that is always inclined to kill, may one day find himself on a society that brings the best of him.

Lili-Chwan

Legendary
Kin
3,929💸
Kumi
2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah, I completely believe in free will.
I believe that,
Since God is judging us by our actions, if we have no free will, then that judgment will be useless, since someone else is controlling us to do something.
And since God isn't likely to make mistakes like that, we do have it.

Ofc, atheists will decry this argument, but hey, I believe it.
Personally, I don't like when people justify their arguments with God, but since this is a philosophical debate, your life-style revolves around your relationship with God, so in this manner, we can't really say anything, or we will just seem stupid...

Ero sennin

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
i think the only thing we can truly be is a free thinker. only problem with being a free thinker is that u see so much of the stuff that tries to mold you into faceless drone which is tv religion media fanatics advertiseing goverment. but being bale to see that can make u dishearted and 5 times out of ten the free thinker folds because of the bombardment of the pressure humans face daily. the only way to have free will is money as proven by goverments and industry. they are free to control everyone through mass amounts of money that accounts to evangelisim what is a industry to.artistic freedom and scientific freedom is only justifiable with money. back to the free thinkers there are three notable examples george carlin bill hicks frank zappa. those three said what they wanted to say allthough most was censored by the tv industry. that's my opinion on free will.

Guido

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
hhm..about this theme you could work out a lot of doctoral degree;)...according to my opinion a lot of thinks we do and we will do are consequences of biochemical processes..like a man for example think a lot of *** at a whole day...he see a hot woman think of like"wooow"or"yeeehaa"...in the same time the whole body prepare for sexual reproduction:)
...or another example..some behaviours you could explain with your dopaminbudget:)D) alone like a situation in which you maybe say "now i wanna drink a coke!!!"(the brain said milliseconds before"i wanna sweet stuff pronto" to hold up the dopaminlevel)...enough of this

an keyword for all Freuds on earth is causality..a great word with high potential

...as a last statement i totally agree with rei...i think there isn`t truly a free will..we are not better than the apes in the zoo next door ..only more complicated

p.s.:sry for my english out of practise

Jediah

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree.

But I don't think it is just your body that determines how you think: I think that what is responsible for how you think is actually the entire universe.
O.O