Kin
2,929💸
Kumi
487💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Fireflies in My Garden

I'm no hero, no human; just a miserable chunk of flesh. There weren't any fireflies left, just the fireballs pretending to be like them from a distance.

Kobe, Japan

I was appointed as a soldier. On the onset of the terrific World War II, though unconsciously, I thought of showing my gratitude to the nation by giving up my life, as a hero.

The day before I was to join the military, our house was buzzing, my mother shedding her pearl tears somehow made me weaker, or the weakest. She would often cry, calling out my name, "Seita". I smiled at her each time. My father, who served in the Navy, was to join the next day just like me. But my family had yet another treasure, my sister Setsuko. I cried under the blanket, I was to leave her behind.

17the March 2:16 am

The air raid Sirens started wailing. I cursed as I could not sleep peacefully on the very last night in my house. We all went into the shelters. My sister wasn't very fond of the shelters, I used to see her scratching her skin everytime she went in there. Weaker things aren't supposed to have a choice.

3:39 am

The Sirens stopped. Setsuko rushed out as fast as she could. I ran after her. Everyone else started to move. I saw my parents talking to the neighbours, they were taking their sweet time.
"Seita, I have to pee" I smiled lightly "Setsuko, let's go over there" that was our favourite place in the neighbourhood, a tiny cave near the river bank. "I'll untie your pants"

3:47 am

Sirens didn't wail, probably they didn't want to disturb the fireflies. They covered the sky instantly. I saw from the cave how it descended on everything I touched and saw since my birth. The fireflies sat on the neighbours' wall. I saw it flying through the roads, touching my favourite garden, I am sure I saw the happy flowers glowing in the dark. And just a little away I saw my mother and my father. If peace had face, it would certainly be their's. The fireflies first hugged my father, then it kissed my mother. I stood inside the cave, in peace.

I came to my senses in a minute, with my sister screaming. She had a burn, crying out of pain. That poor soul was so fond of fireflies.

I'm a weak man. If I wish I could go and fight the culprits next morning. But who would I be fighting for? And who should I be fighting with and taking revenge on?The fireflies? The country who sent the fireflies? They aren't the ones. The human beings, the entire humanity is my culprit. I couldn't possibly leave my sister behind and fight the wrong ones in a wrong way, after all I'm a weak man, a miserable chunk of flesh.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,703💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I liked it even though my vote ended elsewhere. Since I mentioned this to Pete, I might as well mention it to you, I think the synonyms to cover up what really happened was really clever, but then again, for me-... I feel as though it felt like censorship in a way, I wanted more brutallity to be honest, haha. But yeah, overall a nice piece ;):lok:

• Love
Reactions: Poison

Poison

Veteran
Kin
2,929💸
Kumi
487💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I liked it even though my vote ended elsewhere. Since I mentioned this to Pete, I might as well mention it to you, I think the synonyms to cover up what really happened was really clever, but then again, for me-... I feel as though it felt like censorship in a way, I wanted more brutallity to be honest, haha. But yeah, overall a nice piece ;):lok:
Thanks 😁😍

Reactions: Michael92