Final Fantasy before X

Locke Shaydow

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Does anyone still play the older Final Fantasies? Like any of them before X, lol. I bought a PS3 years ago and I can't ever seem to get into any of the new games. I don't even like playing the newer FF's, whenever I start to play a new game of some sort it always takes me back to the good ol' turn bases FF's.

Is it odd that I still play my PS2 WAY more than my PS3? FF VI - FFIX are all my favorite games, lots of great nostalgia. Even though I've played through ALL of them SEVERAL times. II & III are the only ones I played through once and that was it. Anyone else still like the play the good turn based FF's over most new games?

P.s - Chrono Trigger is ranked up there as well xd

Reactions: Ouacus and JojocIaw

Sabuto Hayashi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You're not alone, there.
I still play PS2, and even some PS1, games from time to time instead of newer games on PS3 or Xbox.

The newer Final Fantasy games don't really match up to the previous ones, imo.
They might look better, but they lack the immersive worlds and the awesome storylines that games like FFVII, VIII, and X had.

Can't beat some quality time with Chrono Trigger, either. xd

juankimari

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Final Fantasy games started losing essence after X in my opinion, But FF Versus XIII looks promising i hope it turns out to be great unlike VIII which was lackluster.

That being said, i can't believe you can't get into new Ps3 games. God Of War, Metal Gear, Uncharted, Skyrim,Grand Theft Auto,Batman Arkham City,Dark Souls, Street Fighter, Marvel vs capcom, Max payne...i could go on and on, just too many great and varied titles to choose from.

Upcoming titles that look awesome (and are prolly gonna rock) the new Tomb Rider,Hitman Absolution,Watch dogs, Sleeping Dogs, The Last of us (guaranteed hit title), Resident Evil 6,Darksiders 2, Assassin's creed 3,Grand Theft Auto V just to name a few.

Seriously dude, it's a great time to be a gamer right now.

Locke Shaydow

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah everyone I know thinks its weird I have a PS3 that I never use and my PS2 is always hooked up and thats what I'm playing all the time.

Chrono Trigger was the first rpg I ever played for the SNES, you can't go wrong.
Yeah the depth and worlds of the older FF's cannot be beaten, I wish they would make a new turn based that rivaled the older ones, but I don't think we'd be so lucky =/

Don Drama

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Does anyone still play the older Final Fantasies? Like any of them before X, lol. I bought a PS3 years ago and I can't ever seem to get into any of the new games. I don't even like playing the newer FF's, whenever I start to play a new game of some sort it always takes me back to the good ol' turn bases FF's.

Is it odd that I still play my PS2 WAY more than my PS3? FF VI - FFIX are all my favorite games, lots of great nostalgia. Even though I've played through ALL of them SEVERAL times. II & III are the only ones I played through once and that was it. Anyone else still like the play the good turn based FF's over most new games?

P.s - Chrono Trigger is ranked up there as well xd
Currently playing Chrono Trigger!! just defeated Magus!

You should play Final Fantasy VIII, I would say Squall isn't a cry baby like Tidus!

Locke Shaydow

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Final Fantasy games started losing essence after X in my opinion, But FF Versus XIII looks promising i hope it turns out to be great unlike VIII which was lackluster.

That being said, i can't believe you can't get into new Ps3 games. God Of War, Metal Gear, Uncharted, Skyrim,Grand Theft Auto,Batman Arkham City,Dark Souls, Street Fighter, Marvel vs capcom, Max payne...i could go on and on, just too many great and varied titles to choose from.

Upcoming titles that look awesome (and are prolly gonna rock) the new Tomb Rider,Hitman Absolution,Watch dogs, Sleeping Dogs, The Last of us (guaranteed hit title), Resident Evil 6,Darksiders 2, Assassin's creed 3,Grand Theft Auto V just to name a few.

Seriously dude, it's a great time to be a gamer right now.

I've tried most of those games and the only one I liked a lot was Arkham o_O; I must be weird or something. Or just a big turn-based fan. I swear the newest game I really liked a lot was Xenosaga III xD and that was a while ago.

Nerei

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's totally normal. I got a PS3, PS2, PSP and a PSX :cool: I hardly play any PS3 and probably won't until they release another RPG for it.

I've been playing the classic FF's. I'm gonna start FFVIII soon, after I beat FVII

Locke Shaydow

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Don Drama, Chrono Trigger is one of the games I'm playing right now too. The DS version this time, I just obtained Magus as a character and doing some sidequests before I have to save Crono. I'm also going through FF VI again, at the Opera House about to get Setzer

KAGE RYUU

Banned
Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Don Drama, Chrono Trigger is one of the games I'm playing right now too. The DS version this time, I just obtained Magus as a character and doing some sidequests before I have to save Crono. I'm also going through FF VI again, at the Opera House about to get Setzer
haha i just finished crono trigger and when i got to the point where you get magus i chose to fight him and i killed him i dunno why i felt frog deserved some revenge then right after i was like.....wait a minute...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu and never got to play magus haha

Locke Shaydow

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Haha I did that when I first played through the DS version Ryuu. I ended up shutting the game off and going back farther than I needed to due to not saving before hand. I don't think I even fought him, I jus forgot which option to choose.

I know this is random, but I have a FFVII game file with a lil over 120 hours on it x.x;
I spent a lot of time leveling up through out almost every dungeon. My Cloud is at like level 96, no cheats at all, but I still don't think I could beat that underwater weapon, or there was one I couldn't beat. I basically have a recent save file on FF's IV - X since December 2011. I get half-way through one game and get in the mood to start another one, try playing multiple game files but end up way more involved in the other and stick to it. Sounds like bad case of ADHD really, lol

NLee

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There are a handful of older FF titles you can get in the PSN. I know there's 7 and 8. I think you can also get 6 and 5 but I'm not sure. There were also talks of 10 being remade but seeing as I haven't kept up with PS3/PSN news in a good while I don't know about that either

System001

Legendary
Kin
6,209💸
Kumi
10,911💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I love all of the old FF's I played number one but didn't get into it, I'm at the boss of number 5, I've played and completed number nine, I played the DS version of 3, and I still have a lot more to go so its all good =3. The new FFs FF12/13 are just crap '-'

Last edited:

Nerei

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm a fan of the older FF titles too, but meh, I still enjoyed the FF13's

I guess to each his own :)
I loved FFXIII but with these titles there is no replay value, even if they've been left to collect dust for a year.

But what I think gives the old games replay value to me is Nostalgia, so maybe in like 10 years FFXIII will be the same :shrug:

Locke Shaydow

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nostalgia probably does play a big part in it too, but also because they are just that damn awesome xD The first FF game I played was VII, then VIII, IX, IV, V, X, VI which I ended up starting over after the floating continent because I let Shadow get killed and my brother told me a good leveling up strategy on the floating continent too, which really paid off in the end. I love them all equally, really none more than the other. I just love the hell out of them; great characters and gives good background info, vast worlds which you can travel freely, Im a real big fan of the turn base style( I dont know why they don't still continue to make turn based games...) and the bad guys are always either complete lunatics (Kefka) or just plain badasses (Sephiroth, Kuja) and the long stories.

Xenogears for the PS was another really good game, turn based but the fighting style was different than any other game. Great story line that held a lot of suspense. So much that it spawned the Xenosaga series the the PS2 which continued, very well I might add, the Xenogear story and had a very good in-depth storyline.

I guess I'm probably starting to get repetitive now lol. We all know they're awesome games xD but the only other person I know who shares the same love for these games is my older brother, who is the one that got me started on these years ago. But he's 31 and lives in Kansas now making bukoo bucks so he we don't talk about it much xP and all of my friends are into first person shooters so it's nice getting to talk about it a little to other fans.

Exaar

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've played 7, 8, 9, 10, 11(Online mmorpg), 13, 13-2 and 14 (online mmorpg).

10 was the best out of the lot for me, and 11 was the best online one, 14 kinda killed it's self with a launch so bad it went Free to play just to get people into the game xd.