Veteran
Kin
1,803💸
Kumi
1,445💴
Trait Points
41⚔️
Awards
I write this, not to influence your beliefs on the man, not to sympathize with the man or romanticize his story. Nor do I write it so you can hate him, or despise him more than you already have been told to. The fact of the matter is that I wrote this book and the many books of the event, looked for the answers to this puzzle, and searched so hard to piece this story together, mainly because I want another story to this event in human history. There have been so many stories on this event, on the man who started it all, yet none from the man himself. And as much as I hate him, despise him for what he did, I feel like this story must be told so we as human beings can learn what made him, and avoid it. Like he warned me all those years ago: he was “only the beginning.” If there is anything I want you to learn from this, it’s that, and only that.

It took me five years. Five years since the end of the war; that took an estimated 1 billion human lives, for me to find her. Finding anyone in this post-apocalyptic mess would be not only a feat only comparable to finding a needle in a haystack but just as well finding it in a hay farm, mainly due to the vast information in our world that was influenced in the chaos of the war, causing people, locations, and entire histories to be switched, and mixed up. Cyberwarfare and real warfare are something people fantasized about yet never prepared for when it hit our borders. We were demolished... Regardless, I found her. I found her, living in an apartment, one of those government buildings hastily built to house the homeless world. It wasn’t a shock to me though, most of the people who fought ended up in living in these bricks. That was just the sad truth at the end of the war, everyone was bankrupt, everyone was homeless. Governments couldn't house all those that fought, in fact, most governments had been dismantled during the war. So the world we lived in currently was the repercussion of fast stitches made to patch together a society shattered by war. Anyway, so after a couple hours of waiting and cigarette burning, she finally arrived. A woman, most surely in her 40s, tied back black hair, dressed in a dirty suit while carrying a sax arrived at the door. Kimi Hatosia, born in America, trained in a police academy till she was policing the streets for a year before disappearing at 20. Appearing back on the radar at 29 and being one of the earliest agents in the war. During the war, she was nicknamed Victory, because anyone assigned with her, almost always, completed the mission successfully.

But that was five years ago. Currently, she worked as a musician for a local bar. Quite odd. I never took her for the type. Nothing in her background resembled the love for such arts if any.

“Evening, Agent,” she said to me. Her voice was soothing and smooth. I’d snuff out my cigarette on the wall that I leaned on and remove a book from within my suit and show it to her.

“Kimi Hatosia. You mind telling me what you know of Fin Everbound.” Kimi would stand there a moment longer, close her eyes and sigh.

“How’d you connect me to him, Agent,” she asked.

“What do you take me for” I’d recite in response. Kimi would chuckle and open the door.

“Come in.” I entered and sat down in the small living room, which was also the bedroom and the kitchen. The bathroom, I guessed, was the door directly across from the living room door. Kimi would turn on a speaker, and slow jazz music would fill the room. “I’ll get dressed,” she told me and left for the bathroom, which was the door I guessed it to be. I laid the book I had shown her earlier on the wooden table which was direct to the side of the bed-couch and observed the room. The room was much smaller than I anticipated for an apartment three stories high. I guessed that there must've been at least 25 rooms on every floor. Making this 3 storied apartment house about 75 people assuming it was one person per room which I doubted. And looking at the condition of the room, it was really just patched together-- paint was already peeling. But apart from the obvious flaws in the building design, the room was very decorated. Posters that held people I never heard of laid splattered across the room. And across some of the gaps between the posters and at the tops of shelves, and near the T.V were pictures, most just stapled onto the wall but some in frames situated near her shelve and T.V. I’d pick up the picture closest to me, a frame sitting on the wooden table before me. It was a picture of two boys doing weird poses near a glass railing overlooking a city. One boy, in red-orangish hair, was making a mean face while standing up straight, arms across with two fingers sticking out to represent guns. The second boy, I recognized. Black hair, even darker eyes, bright white skin, and a proudish face. He was a lot younger in this photo than when I remember him, but there was no doubt in my mind. That this boy who was couched and lazily pointing his finger up with his thumb sticking out, in a gun-like gesture like the other boy, was indeed: Fin Lester.

“Why do you want to know about Fin,” Kimi asked me when she left the bathroom. She wore baggy PJs, and her hair was loose, as though she was going to sleep in a few minutes. She would go to the wines she had on the shelf as she asked this question.

“Because of this,” I gestured to the book, I had tossed on her bed-couch, with a wave of my hand, “When he died, he told me to read it at the very least. So I did. Now I want to know more,” I finished. She would sit beside me as I’d place the frame back down, and place a cup of wine before me as she drank from hers while looking tiredly at the book.

The book was very bare, it had a black leather cover and white pages, like some kind of bible. It had no title like one, I didn’t know what to title it then.

“I see,” she said. She reached for the book and read the first few words. She weakly tittered a bit and then closed the book. Kimi closed her eyes then sighed again. “And what would the head of the world, Deton Alphonse want to do with this information?” I’d take a sip from the glass of wine. I tasted like Murliem Wine, I hated Murliem Wine.

“When did you figure out I was Deton?”

“It was supposed to be a secret,” she scoffed, then continued, “There is only one agent who met him, and that was the agent that killed him. You have his book, which means you met him. So you're the agent that killed him. Deton Alphonse.”

“Yea… I am.” The agent who killed the lion. And watched it smile as it bled to death before me. The lion didn’t die quickly though. It laid there, smoking a cigar, and challenged me to a game of cards like I was some old friend. I wanted to shut it up, but I couldn't bring myself to kill it. The monster that I was told it was, didn’t exist as he bled to death before me. Instead, a human being, with goals, ambitions, and dumb humor laid there. “I… want to make a book. A story that tells the world who he was. I feel like after ending his life, and hating him for so long, even now, I owe it to him. To get his story out. To the audience he desired. That is why I sought you out, Kimi. You're the last living proof of his humanity I could find other than himself.” A silence would follow.

“There were three of us,” she began, “me, him and Andrew,” who is dead now, I looked for him before finding her, and found that he died in a mafia skirmish of sorts, “we were like family. I liked Andrew though and this weird love triangle went on for most of our lives. I-,” I would interject there. I could sense she was both going to get emotional as well as go in nonsequential order.

“Read the book,” I said straight, “Read it, then write down the order this story went. I'll be back in two weeks,” I ordered. I would stand up, finish the wine, and head out as she very weakly saluted to me on my way out. For the first time in five years, I got an actual connection to Fin Lester. This achievement made me laugh aloud. I called an Agent, told them, I finally got a lead and we both laughed happily.

I arrived two weeks later and she handed me a stack of paper Kimi called Fin Everbound: Origins. One thing she told me to do when reading this story was to see it as a romantic fantasy adventure, because to her and she assumed for Fin as well, that’s what this was. The mafia, the guns, the blood, the goals, all of it, was just another fantastic romantic story-- with a happy ending. So that’s how she wrote it, that’s how I edited it, but that’s not what it is. This is the start of the world’s biggest serial killer.

You must be registered to see images
Hey! I plan on taking this story places. So commenting what you think would be appreciated.
Thx.​