527💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

Based off of the Fate/Zero Manga by Gen Urobuchi

General Info:

Series Name: Fate/Zero - フェイト/ゼロ

Year of Serialization: 2011

Author(s): Akihiro Yoshida, Akira Hiyama, Kazuharu Sato, Takumi Miyajima)

Artist(s): Takashi Takeuchi, Shinjirou

Genre(s): Action, Contemporary Fantasy, Horror, Thriller

Current Status: Completed.

Moment of Reviewing: Ending of the series.

Other Formats:

• Light novel: written by Gen Urobuchi and illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi
  • Manga: written by Gen Urobushi and illustrated by Shinjirou
Additional Information:

• Trailer #1
  • Trailer #2

Series Summary:

The prequel of the widely popular Fate/stay Night, the story takes place 10 years prior to the events of the 5th Holy Grail War and depicts the details of how everything began. The War of the Holy Grail is a contest in which seven mages summon seven Heroic Spirits to compete for the power of the "Holy Grail," which grants to the winner of the competition a miracle. After three inconclusive wars, the Fourth War begins. It involves seven 'Masters' (magi) who summon through their magical power seven 'Servants' under seven classes: Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin and Berserker. The Servants are historical, mythological or even literary figures that conceal their identity until the very end. The series consists of the dueling between the Servants; the one who wins will see his/her Master getting their miracle granted by the Holy Grail. The main competitors are representatives of noble, magical families but also some unexpected magi with power enough to re-shuffle the deck. Amongst them, there is a missionary and hitman who stops at nothing in order to achieve his goals, a priest who's more interested to win than to see a wish granted and a perverted serial killer matched up with the perfect Servant. Who will win and see their wish come true?

Critical Review:

Although some times hard to follow, with a huge cast and very complicated characters, Fate/Zero is made for an older audience. This anime, unlike its sequel, is not bombarding the viewer with overly sexual female characters and boring school romance. The narrative of the Holy Grail war is clear: there are epic battles to be given and tragic heroes to meet their end. If you are looking for gore and explicit content Fate/Zero is not for you; there is comic book-like violence, characters that give you the creeps, historical figures shown in a completely different light and some disturbing images but you won't see a Servant with an idiotic battle pose like .

One of the most important aspects of the series is the way the war is done and the dichotomy between physical battle and intellectual chess-like strategic moves. The Servants take care of the first but its the Masters that ultimately win the war, not only by the sword of their Servants but also with their intellect and their fast decision making. They embark on an almost spiritual journey and in order to win they have to find out who they truly are and how far they are willing to go to see a real miracle happen. Meanwhile, they have to kill, risk get killed, lose their powers or lose their loyal Servants. Of course, there are some who enjoy the process and others who would rather take the task upon themselves to save a loved one. Other notable aspects include the wonderful music and especially the rock-ballad ending of each episode, the choreography of the battles and the enthralling dialogues. No cheesy quotes here; each Servant and Master has a different personality and it shows as the story progresses.

A good story doesn't always have to be about school kids and girls with a big bosom waiting to be saved. Fate/Zero has a fast paced plot, excellent visuals, solid direction and stellar artwork. Watch it and you won't be disappointed!

- Reviewed by ★ Rei ★

Last edited:

Blizzàrd1

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Amazing anime and novel. I loved the first part which you reviewed; Fate/Zero, but in Fate/Stay Night it had lost some of it's touch. Then my friend updated me on what happens in the novels and how Fate Series ends. I have three favorite characters;
  • Kiritsugu; Amazing character development, he was my favorite in the entire series. And in the start I just liked him due to the fact that he remained quiet and such. But when they showed his past my mind freaking blew! So sad yet so amazing, after that the entire story, his emotions, his personality, everything made sense! I loved his fighting style and most of all the badass end of Fate/Zero. The fact that he saved those Command Seal to do that in the end, and not to forget the bullets made of his ribs. @_@ I watched the last scene over and over again.
  • Gilgamesh; King of Heroes, owner of everything in the world, someone who possess everything, someone who claims to be the owner of the world. Just wow. In both series his character was amazing, best servant among all. I hated Saber's personality but he was just perfect at everything. His fighting style, his phantasm, his dialogs.
  • Bluebeard; Haha! Well, there is a reason why I like him, it is because of how he perceived life and wanted to set a stage for God himself. Best scene was when he was summoned, and he showed that the true joy of killing comes when you show hope and then turn into despair.

DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THE ANIME!

Last edited:

BusinessManTeno

Supreme
Kin
2,903💸
Kumi
10,493💴
Trait Points
60⚔️
Awards
Hmm... I Watched the first 3 episodes... It seems more serious..
I miss Archer.. Rei.. Why do you do this to me!!! I might do a review on Fate Stay ;)
Overall.. Im give this a chance still... Spoiler Question: 1, Do I get to see Archer (The Real one..? ) 2. Is beserker in this one?

Blizzàrd1

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hmm... I Watched the first 3 episodes... It seems more serious..
I miss Archer.. Rei.. Why do you do this to me!!! I might do a review on Fate Stay ;)
Overall.. Im give this a chance still... Spoiler Question: 1, Do I get to see Archer (The Real one..? ) 2. Is beserker in this one?
Yes to both, and they are much much much more epic than Fate/Stay Night.

BusinessManTeno

Supreme
Kin
2,903💸
Kumi
10,493💴
Trait Points
60⚔️
Awards
The BIG CRAZY BESERKER?!
AND THE ARCHER IN RED!?

And... I find everything Archer say to be epic to be honest.. Hence that little speech he gave shiro about his circuits.. I quote everywhere.... But I seen all the servants... >_> Are they not servants yet?

Blizzàrd1

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The BIG CRAZY BESERKER?!
AND THE ARCHER IN RED!?

And... I find everything Archer say to be epic to be honest.. Hence that little speech he gave shiro about his circuits.. I quote everywhere.... But I seen all the servants... >_> Are they not servants yet?
Berserker is so badass in this season, his noble phantasm can screw stuff up in no seconds. And the new archer was also shown in Fate/Stay right? It's the same. Giglamesh.

Tachondar

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This Anime was really special. I loved Lancer. He had the most sad story of all of the servants. His only wish was to be revived and leave his former life behind him, and then he finds himself to be in teh exact position as in his first life. A master that hates him, his master's wife in love with him and he can't even finish a nobel fight with Saber. It should've been longer. Fate/zero was in my opinion much better than Fate/stay

Frankenstein

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Watched this recently. Very nice indeed, although I think it could be even better if it were expanded a bit. Still very nice.

Gilgamesh was my favorite (because I am a horrible person) but Kiritsugu was a very fine character too.