[Mystery] [FanFic] Scooby Doo: Requiem (3)

Scooby Doo

Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

Requiem

Dies Irae

Scooby Doo and Shaggy were making sandwiches in the kitchen of the mansion, ravaging the fridge. They used up everything they found, to make doubledeckers with mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, salad, and meat.

„Well, Scoobs, that was good. But I’m still hungry.”- Shaggy carassed his stomach.

„Me too!”- barked Scooby.

„Then let’s go look for some more. There must be a pantry or something.”- and so they left the kitchen, entering the empty hall. Shaggy looked around, and randomly chose one of the doors. The first one he tried was closed. But next time he had more luck. The door opened, and a staircase invited them down to the dark cellar.

„Alright, let’s see what’s down there.”- said Shaggy, more like to himself, to gather the courage to discover the unknown. However, his hunger was stronger than anything, and he turned on the switch. A dim light cast lucidity upon the stairs. „Come on Scooby, you go first.”

„No, no. You!”- objected the dog.

„Will you do it for the last Scooby snack I have left?”- begged Shaggy.

„Alright.”- said Scooby and reached out his paw. After Shaggy gave them his incentive, Scooby boldly marched forward. As they reached the bottom, they found themselves in a wet, moist cellar, full of coffins.

„What the…”- Shaggy swallowed his anxiety.- „Let’s go back immediately.”- However, they heard the door shut. At the same time, Verdi’s Requiem sounded. The eerie music creeped Scooby out, and made him jump into Shaggy’s bossom.
[video=youtube;up0t2ZDfX7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up0t2ZDfX7E[/video]
„Scoob, get off! We got to find an exit.”- and so Scooby stood on his own legs. The coffins were arranged in orderly rows and columns. There were several dozens of them. At the end of the cellar, they saw another door. The Dies Irae of Verdi’s music raged on. Scooby and Shaggy slowly creeped towards the exit, but suddenly Shaggy faltered, and leaned on one of the coffins. The music stopped abruptly, and the cover of the coffin Shaggy touched, flipped up. A ghost-like figure showed up. It was a once beautiful woman, her face is now pale and white as the gown she was wearing. Her long raven hair made her seem very much alive, despite the fact that she was levitating midair, above the coffin.
You must be registered for see images

Shaggy screamed: „Yayks!”, and along with Scooby, started to run as fast as they could. The ghost followed them until the exit door, but dispersed when Shaggy shut the door behind. He was sweating and panting. They were outside the mansion now, in the back yard. It was already dark, and stars spotted the sable texture of the sky.

________​

In the meantime, Velma, Daphne and Fred were walking back to the mansion, when two circles of distant light appeared few hundred yards away, and they were drawing nearer at a fast pace. A van was speeding towards them, and didn’t slow down, so the company of the three friends had to jump off its way.

„What a crazy driver! I wonder what business he had here at a time like this!”- nagged Daphne, dusting her skirt. Velma interrupted:

„ Look! Over there!”- she pointed in the direction of the moorlands. In the darkness, a pulsating white spot of light was hovering, and took a human shape. The silhouette was roaming randomly, and the gang could hear it singing

’My lover had a fair face,
I gave my lover a kiss…’​

„Irina!”- muttered Velma.

„I think we’d better get out of here.”- said Daphne and started to run. Velma and Fred followed her. When they reached the castle, they saw Scooby and Shaggy waiting outside, with fright on their faces.

„Guys, thanks god you’ve come back, we saw that girl’s ghost!”- ranted Shaggy.

„You too? We saw her around the marsh too.”- pondered Velma.- „Strange, even for ghosts to be at two places at the same time. We should tell about itt o the Count.”

„No way I’m going back inside. His cellar is full of coffins. Something’s not okay there.”- objected Shaggy.

„Coffins?”- Velma got surprised.

„Dozens of them! Creppy.”- sighed Shaggy.

„Yeah, creepy!”- repeated Scoob.

„Alright guys, then you stay here and patrol.”-said Fred. „We will investigate inside.”- and so he opened the main door. Velma and Daphne followed him. They knocked on the bedroom door of the Count, but no answer. Fred turned the handle, and looked inside. The room was empty. The Count was not there.

„Where could he go?”- asked Daphne.

„I don’t know, but this is our chance to check that mysterious left wing of the house.”- answered Fred, and the three of them stepped to the door hiding the secrets of the other side of the mansion.

„Daphne, it’s your turn.”- smirked Fred. Daphne nodded, took her hairpin, and opened the door. There was a small laboratory inside a huge room. Test tubes, tanks, vials, and a huge furnace.

„So that’s where the smoke’s coming from.”- stated Velma. They also noticed several projectors and cameras. „And these…hm.”

„But what’s going on? What is the Count doing with all these chemicals?”- wondered Daphne.

„Let’s see.”- said Velma and examined the set of reagents, and reasearch logs. „This is...Dichloromethane!”- she concluded.

„But why? What’s that good for?”- asked Daphne.

„We’ll explain later. Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Fred?”- turned Velma to Fred. He nodded. „Let’s tell Scooby and Shaggy.”

„I knew there is something wrong with that guy!”- said Shaggy after hearing the account of Velma on what they found.

„Let’s set a trap. Here is my plan.”- and so Fred explained them the details.

_______

The silence of the warm summer night was disturbed by the buzz of a van, and parked in the back yard of the castle. The Count got out of the car and covered it with a huge black carpet. He got around the yard and entered the mansion through the front door, but as he stepped in, he fell over a rope, into a coffin.

„Now, guys!”- shouted Fred, holding one end of the rope, the other end being grabbed by Daphne and Velma. Scooby switched on the lights and Shaggy covered the coffin. The man inside was raging, trying to break out.

„Nice job, everyone! We’ve got him!”- exclaimed Fred. However, his enthusiasm was broken the next second. A familiar voice addressed him: „Hands up, guys!”- the Count was pointing a gun at Fred. The gang froze.

„Then…who’s the guy inside the coffin?”- asked Velma with a feeble tone.

„Shut up!”- said the Count, but the next moment the door of the cellar shut open and the old man from earlier cried out: „You shut up! Throw away the gun!” The Count in his surprise let his guard down for an instant, that was enough for Scooby Doo to jump at him and bite his hand.

„Nice catch Scooby!”- Shaggy rejoiced. Scooby was holding down his prey, snarling. The old man took off his mask.

„I’m agent Darren Kane. FBI.”- he took out handcuffs, and arrested the man captured by Scooby. „This man is not Count Dragas. He is an American criminal I’ve been following for months. This time I had to chase him to Romania. His name is dr. Allen Jackson, chemist.”

„Everything makes sense now!”- Velma brightened up.

„Nothing makes sense to me! Would you explain to me too?”- asked Shaggy.

„He must have fled from the States to continue his international criminal carreer at a place where noone would look for him. That’s why his English is perfect. He must have heard about the legend of Irina, and used it to cover his deeds. The swamp. Methane is produced by the rotten vegetation, and when it’s mixed with phosphine, it may spontaneously get ignited, causing will-o-the-wisps. That is…”- the FBI agent interrupted her: „ Ignis fatuus. Latin.”

„Exactly.”- continued Velma. „The ghost-like light. People were convinced for hundreds of years that they saw Irina’s ghost, however, it’s just a natural phenomenon.”

„But what about the singing voice?”- asked Daphne.

„And the ghost we saw in the cellar?”- argued Shaggy.

„Projections. We discovered several cameras in the laboratory of the left wing.”- explained Fred.

„But what was he doing it for?”- continued Shaggy.

„He used the methane of the swamp to produce dichloromethane. An important solvent in chemical industry. He stored the liquid in coffin-like tanks, and smuggled them with a van. There is one problem with it though: it’s poisonous, along with other side products that are made in the process of distilling dichloromethane. That caused livestock and rats to die, along with the villagers. He used Irina’s legend to keep people away.”- finished Velma.

„And I would have gotten away with it had it not been for you stupid kids.”-growled Jackson.

„And Scooby Doo!”- added Shaggy.

„Good job, kids!”- commended agent Kane.

„By the way, what’s with the man in the coffin?”- asked Daphne.

„You’re right, we totally forgot about him!”- Fred facepalmed himself, and opened the coffin. The man inside was about the same age as Allen Jackson, with the same blonde hair.

„The real Count Dragas!”- said agent Kane.

„Now I understand everything.”- said Fred, helping the Count out of the coffin.

„That’s good, now would you tell me why the hell did you close me up in a coffin?”- the real Count demanded.

„I'm sorry sir, we didn’t know it’s you. My deepest apologies.”- Fred atoned.

„I come home after months, and my village is a mess.”- said the Count, cleansing his clothes. Everyone was occupied with helping the Count now, and suddenly Allen Jackson broke out of the FBI agent’s grasp, and ran out of the house.

„Scooby! Go after him!”- ordered Shaggy.

„Yup!”- and so Scooby rushed forward. Allen Jackson was chased towards the moorland, in his despair he neglected the dangers lying ahead. Scooby weighed less, and his mass was distributed among four legs, so he was relatively safe from sinking in the swamp, but the criminal had less luck. After a few yards, he got stuck and slowly merged into the ground. Scooby was too late to save him. The last thing Allen Jackson saw was a hovering white shape, singing the famous lines:

’Nothing’s fair on earth’s surface,
In hell I found my bliss.’

The End

Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited: