243💸
Kumi
171💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Every Witch Way

By: Leopoldo Rodriguez

Prologue: Wings in Which We Weave

Once upon a great time, in a plane of existence there was a quiet little planet named Arquosa – named by its inhabitants for its many beautiful oceans, streams, rivers, and lakes to name a few. For them it represented what they wanted to stand for – Clarity and Strength. Arquosa took many a time to develop into the world it is now. It used to be just wild chaos, dense forests, and monsters lurking around at every corner. Everyday seemed like an inescapable darkness that never ceased.

However around 300 years ago a calamity happened which very few know or comprehend. A “Shining Star” came down from the heavens and killed almost all life except for Humans. Emerging from the chaos, Human quickly began to multiply as there was no bigger threats than themselves to stop them. Over time they quickly overtook the planet and slowly created little clusters known as villages, towns, and cities which then created their own culture and way of living. There was no escaping their intervention as they believed that they were the rightful heirs to the planet because there were so many of them. What little did they know that there also existed other...beings. These ancient beings were known as the Sages – ones who were one with the magic of the planet and the universe. Little to no information exists about the Sages other than they “could draw magic from around them and use it to their own advantage”. But that still didn't encapsulate what it meant to be a Sage – to be there to protect humanity from others and itself by using the matter/non-matter around them and/or from other sources. People, however still didn't trust Sages and regarded them as evil and manipulative eventually calling them Witches.

Not deterred by humanity, Witches took on the name and mantle with pride and intervening at their own will. What kept them together was creating an organization that would help educate them and allow them to explore magic in a safe environment, free from oppression or scrutiny. However, power can corrupt anyone it sets its eyes on if not handled responsibly which is where things started going awry. Drunk with power, selfishness, and greed, the Witches were blind to the movements of their critics. They gathered any they could find and drove the Witches into extinction, or so they thought. Luckily, this would be the saving grace of Arquosa and all of humanity.

Millenia Later....

(softly and out of range) Leon...you...have...to...wake...up...”

I could hear a soft voice calling to me that slowly started getting louder and louder. I was starting to wake up. It felt so warm inside the blankets. I felt like I could stay here for all my life. I could feel the warmth coming from the sun shining through the window onto my bed and warmly against my cheek. For a few moments like this, there was nothing wrong. There was no trouble, no pain, no sorrow. Usually there was something going on that would make me want to get up real early and start the day. But today I felt like that wasn't going to be a possibility – at least not yet.

(Gradually gets louder) Hey! Wake up already!”

I opened one eye and could clearly tell it was Ravi. Of course it was him. The only person in the world who went out of their way to get me out of bed every day. I'm not saying I am lazy because I clearly am not. It's just that I easily get overwhelmed with things. I can't explain it but it is how I feel at the moment that can be unpredictable at times. I've come to terms with it being a part of my personality however I would be lying if I told you that it wasn't a constant hindrance.

(Annoyed) Are you getting up or what?!”

There was no more time left daydreaming so I resolved to get up.

(Irritated) Okay, okay I get it! I'm up! I'm up!”

It was never a good move to force me to wake up rather than allow me to wake up naturally. It put me in a bad mood for the whole day if not done right. But considering it was my best friend, I allowed it and did my best to not sound too callous or rude. I really wanted to be empathetic to what he had to say or drag me into.

Hurry up and get your coffee! I found this cool place near our treehouse in the forest! I wanted us to go explore it!”

He had me at “explore”.

Aight”, I said in a very agreeable tone. “Let me get a cup-o-joe and we can head to the forest, okay?”

“Ditto! In the meantime I'll gather our stuff. I don't know how long this little trip will take us so I want to be prepared. I'll be waiting downstairs when you are ready”.

Ravi seemed more excited than I did and I didn't mind this time. It had been a while since I had been outside. I've lived like a hermit my whole life and haven't really experienced anything else other than from books I've read. I loved life and yet I was afraid of it too. A most confounding problem but I was determined to test my limits, learn something new, and grow. I can't explain it but I've always felt like I was on the go all the time. It is like "feeling" like you have somewhere to be, things to do, and people to talk to but there is no logical reason at the moment to justify the behavior. It's something I never pressed myself on because I wasn't quite sure how to deal with the issue.

Aside from that, I was about ready by now since I had my coffee and had had time to contemplate my own life. I made sure to wear exploration attire because we always got dirty no matter where we would go explore. It was a nice feeling to let go of "staying clean" and just being ourselves - self-glorified explorers. I chuckled a little at the arrogance behind that statement and reminded myself not to be too controlling this time around.

"You done already? I've been outside for an hour!"

"(Brushing it off) Aight, I hear you."

(Sips coffee and looks at Ravi)

The two then walk from the kitchen, where they previously had been, towards the door and to their next adventure. All the while scarfing down on breakfast that Ravi had cooked for them on their journey. As they walked into the Million Sorrows Forest they slowly faded out of sight and soon you could barely hear their voices.

(Next Entry - Chapter 1: A Million Reasons Why...)

• Wow
Reactions: minamoto