Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Look at the legends of the previous generations.

Hashirama, Madara, Hanzo, Gold and Silver Brothers, Mu, Killer A, Gengetsu, Sannin, Hiruzen, Kazekage Clan and so on.

You should notice something about them. If we treat people as art pieces, they are like dots. Dots, as opposed to lines and shades. Their power stands alone, unconnected to anything else (mostly). These guys, almost all of them, simply popped out of the regular as power houses. And then, just as it appeared with them, their power disappeared without being passed on to the next generation. The powers of Hashirama, Madara, Hanzo, GSB and so on were not passed on to any children. Mu and the 3rd Kazekage had students, but not children, as successors. The 3rd Raikage only really used a basic skill and many of the children of Rasa did not inherit his skills. Gaara was one of many.

This stands in the starkest contrast to the Boruto generation. All of them, bar none, have inherited skills from their parents. Not only, but from both parents.

Accounting for the previously established, over many generations, trend of inheritance not being promised by genetics, i wonder of something was done . . .

The previous generation, the Golden Generation, was extremely talented in technique and energy control and even had exposure to alien energies. So maybe they figured out a way to genetically manipulate their offspring.

This also makes sense in terms of the possible drawbacks. Genetic manipulation has many moral and practical disadvantages. Among these risks is the arrogance of attempting to manipulate a core aspect of life itself - arrogance leading to blind action and dismissiveness etc - and the immense risk in removing or adding something of unknown value, value which even if good would need a suitable environment for it. And of course, to actively and directly control genetics is to override the decision of nature itself which has seen fit that each generation should only inherit the most basic qualtiies from the previous generation.

With that in mind, is it not possible that this "end of shinobi" thing will be caused or heavily influenced by this genetic manipulation - if indeed it did take place? There are also philosphical reasons connecting the drawbacks and this possibility. Even if it won't be the big cause, have the authors not at least left themselves a plot element that they can use for various purposes, all to the end of weakening the cast and lowering power levels?

What say you?

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Ok so, yes the new generation has Hax powers, while Hashi and they basically lived in the survival of the fittest, wild west, rule of jungle etc.

I don't think genetic manipulation per se will be the end of shinobi but hax powers is definitely part of it. If people can like to purchase fricken Rinnegan arms then what's the point of hard work?

I think if genetic manipulation becomes relevant, Oro will likely pop back up.

Reactions: Infant

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't think that the inherited strengths are part of some genetic manipulation, I think it's just a product of Boruto's whole gimmick being "the next generation" so they emphasized inheritance more.

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't think that the inherited strengths are part of some genetic manipulation, I think it's just a product of Boruto's whole gimmick being "the next generation" so they emphasized inheritance more.
Since we're talking about internal patterns, internal to the Naruto Universe, then that agrees with OP.

Otherwise, i acknowledge your external explanation.

Reactions: Pumpkin Ninja