Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The Japanese magazine Da Vinci announced the results their yearly “Book of the Year” ranking in its newest issue, on sale Dec. 4. In that yearly ranking, One Piece kept its second place ranking. However, One Piece manga author Eiichiro Oda won first place in the same magazine’s annual “Most Beloved Manga Artist” ranking.

Also on the list at number 7 is Akira Toriyama, author of Dragon Ball, who was also a big influence on Oda and One Piece.

Below you can find the full list, along with the received points for the top ten best ranking authors, as well as the last:

1. Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) (360 points)
2. Chika Umino (March Comes Marching in Like a Lion) (312 points)
3. Hiromu Arakawa (Silver Spoon; Full Metal Alchemist) (247 points)
4. Gosho Aoyama (Case Closed) (228 points)
5. Naoki Urasawa (Monster; Billy Bat; 20th Century Boys) (195 points)
6. Yoshinaga Fumi (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers) (186 points)
7. Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) (164 points)
8. Hirohiko Araki (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure) (155 points)
9. Hideaki Sorachi (Gintama) (153 points)
10. Kazuhiro Fujita (Ushio and Tora) (127 points)
11. Hajime Isayama (Attack on Titan)
12. Akimoto Osamu (Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo)
13. Takehiko Ino’ue (Slam Dunk; Vagabond)
14. Mitsuru Adachi (Touch; Cross Game)
15. Akimi Yoshida (Banana Fish; Umimachi Diary)
16. Yoshihiro Togashi (Hunter x Hunter; Yu Yu Hakusho)
17. Akiko Higashimura (Kakukaku Shikajika; Princess Jellyfish)
18. Rumiko Takahashi (Ranma 1/2; Inuyasha; Urusei Yatsura)
19. Takao Saitou (Golgo 13)
20. Haruichi Furudate (Haikyu!!)
21. Ryo Ikuemi (Barairo no Ashita)
22. Osamu Tezuka (Sorry, I just can’t choose one title!)
23. Keiko Nishi (Ane no Kekkon)
24. Matsui Yuusei (Assassination Classroom; Neuro: Supernatural Detective)
25. Hikaru Nakamura (Saint Young Men; Arakawa Under the Bridge)
26. Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
27. Yuki Suetsugi (Chihayafuru)
28. Ai Yazawa (Nana)
29. Karuho Shiina (Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You)
30. Reiko Shimizu (Moon Child)
31. Moto Hagio (Marginal)
32. Hiroaki Samura (Wave, Listen to Me)
33. Yana Toboso (Black Butler)
34. Tite Kubo (Bleach)
35. Kore Yamazaki (The Ancient Magus’ Bride)
36. Asumiko Nakamura
37. Akiko Hatsu
38. Takeshi Obata (Death Note; Bakuman; Hikaru no Go; Platinum End)
39. Ryôko Yamagishi (Hi Izuru Tokoro no Tenshi)
40. Sui Ishida (Tokyo Ghoul) (37 points)
41. Kenshi Hirokane (37 points)

Furthermore, Shueisha, the Japanese publishing company responsible for bringing us manga like One Piece and Naruto, among others, ranked second place in the “Most Beloved Publishing Company,” while publishing rival Kodansha kept its first place. Kadokawa ranked 4th and Shogakukan ranked 6th.

It’s not necessarily a huge surprise for us here at the One Piece Podcast that One Piece‘s Eiichiro Oda was able to rank so high. Some might consider this a bit unfair, since One Piece is the only series Oda has done, but there is no denying the heavy cultural impact it has had in Japan. If our documentary, OPP Japan is any indication, it’s hard to walk down the street in the big city without something One Piece popping out and catching your eye. Plus, although it is his only series, the fact that One Piece has been around since 1997 definitely gives the author a bit of leeway. In the same amount of time that One Piece has existed, other artists have been able to do complete runs a few different series of their own.

But apart from Oda and One Piece, who are some of your favorite artists and series on this list?

Let us know down below!

Source:

-ahhimane-

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I entered this manga world through Naruto... My favorite was Masashi Kishimoto. Then I got into One Piece and Oda became my another favorite. I'm happy that Oda is doing his best but also sad how Kishimoto went down to 26th position. Anyways, I'm hoping for him to come up with another amazing story soon and yes, still one of my favorite is still at the top ;-)

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Not hating on the manga itself but as an individual he talks like a 5 year old child...

Like, the passages he writes when answering to stuff on the pages of Shonen Jump and inbetween chapters...an eccentric, immature, sexist to say the least.

Vandenre1ch

Veteran
Kin
6💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Of course Oda is #1. There is no competition for that. Oda is just a great and funny guy who works hard(from what we know of him). He works so much that his editors has to force Oda to take breaks which why OP gets frequent breaks. Even when bedridden in the hospital, Oda was still drawing and even Kishimoto saw everything and was shocked.

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Not hating on the manga itself but as an individual he talks like a 5 year old child...

Like, the passages he writes when answering to stuff on the pages of Shonen Jump and inbetween chapters...an eccentric, immature, sexist to say the least.
And that's why he's respectable. He's not a tight ass, and could care less on how other sensitive people perceive him. Need more people out there who are just themselves and not trying to cater to this easily offended new age full of whiners.

Reactions: Agent Phrank

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And that's why he's respectable. He's not a tight ass, and could care less on how other sensitive people perceive him. Need more people out there who are just themselves and not trying to cater to this easily offended new age full of whiners.
Oh so that's what I am? haha, cheers.

And i'd hardly call manga authorship an industry of elitist workhards lol- i'm just frankly really embarrassed for the way he talks and the nonsense he says. That's all haha

~Naruto&Itachi~

Legendary
Kin
35💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Oh so that's what I am? haha, cheers.

And i'd hardly call manga authorship an industry of elitist workhards lol- i'm just frankly really embarrassed for the way he talks and the nonsense he says. That's all haha
nonsense he says??? like what?? you have provided one thing and even than it was just one question from the whole interview...stop being so prejudiced

@bold mind rewording that?? i think i understood that cause it sounds like you're saying what these mangakas do isn't hard work...

Last edited:

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
nonsense he says??? like what?? you have provided one thing and even than it was just one question from the whole interview...stop being so prejudiced

@bold mind rewording that?? i think i understood that cause it sounds like you're saying what these mangakas do isn't hard work...
That one I showed was the main example of him being sexist. If you want others then take a look at most of his responses, it's his general writing style- I just cannot get behind personally.

And no that's not what I insinuated, but artistic jobs like mine- especially of kid/young adult fiction are hardly noted for being strict and stern are they

Ripple Hole

Banned
Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Yesterday I was reading some of his SBS and he says a lot of childish nonsense.