Dominican Republic strips thousands of black residents of citizenship.

To Whatever

Legendary
Kin
93💸
Kumi
66💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

You must be registered for see images

"In 2013, the constitutional court of the Dominican Republic announced a decision that stripped an estimated 210,000 people — about 2 percent of the island nation's population — of their citizenship overnight.

The Dominican Republic is a Caribbean nation that occupies roughly two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola. The other half belongs to Haiti, and the two countries are divided by language, history, and race. That division has often been toughest on Dominicans who are of Haitian descent, which is the group of people who lost their citizenship in the ruling.

The government later softened the decision to allow people with birth certificates to "validate" their citizenship, and those without them to register as foreign migrants, the deadline for which was last night at midnight. But because the Dominican government has for decades systematically refused to grant birth certificates to people of Haitian descent, thousands were never able to obtain validation.

That means there are now fears of what human rights advocates have warned would be an act of ethnic cleansing: that people of Haitian descent who cannot prove their right to stay will be rounded up and forced to "return" to Haiti — a country where many of them have never lived.

Although the country's president and foreign minister have promised there will be no mass roundups, the government has announced that it is readying buses and detention centers to gather and deport people of Haitian descent, and has placed 2,000 troops on standby to support the process.

The Dominican government has cloaked this all in the language of immigration and border control, but the truth is much uglier. This is part of a much longer and more sinister story."

Source:

What's your opinion on this, guys?

Arima

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"Dominican Republic strips thousands of black residents of citizenship. "

There is no mention of black people in the article you've posted. Only Dominican and Haitian.

To Whatever

Legendary
Kin
93💸
Kumi
66💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This part is especially ****ed up: "Dominican government has for decades systematically refused to grant birth certificates to people of Haitian descent, thousands were never able to obtain validation."

How are you going to deport people to a place they never been...

"Dominican Republic strips thousands of black residents of citizenship. "

There is no mention of black people in the article. Only Dominican and Haitian.
I only used the source's headline.

Arima

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This part is especially ****ed up: "Dominican government has for decades systematically refused to grant birth certificates to people of Haitian descent, thousands were never able to obtain validation."

How are you going to deport people to a place they never been...

I only used the source's headline.
Ok, I see. It is really ****ed up.

Universal Enlightenment

Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The economy for Haiti has been horrible many have fled from there to D.R aspecially after the terrible earthquake ,Red Cross & Many charities have stolen money from the people of Haiti leaving them with not many options. I believe these giant corruption that stolen $11.6 billions should be be put behind bars and held accountable for there actions.

[video=youtube;jDBWDb6I97g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDBWDb6I97g[/video]

iNotorious

Immortal
Kin
808💸
Kumi
5,854💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm from Dominican Republic and I can tell you that this is not going to stop due to the past. I'm not even going to talk about it because it would take too long, use google if you want to know what the hell is going on.

I'm not going to voice my opinion about this particularly topic because this is the internet.

Whoever wrote that article is a dumbass. He/She had to use the word Haitian rather than ''black'' because many Dominicans are black.

Leinad Sotam

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well given the world wide situation we can also see this in Syria, people become divided just because of language, history and race as it says on the article. This sense of of division and separation only brings conflicts to society. I think the Dominican government has no right to strip the rightful citizenship of Dominicans who are of Haitian descent, we should always know our rights.

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
My dad is Dominican and went there not too long ago. The Dominican Republic is a third world nation, chaotic, corrupt, manipulated by foreign companies into trading their valuable resources for lower prices, etc.

Just overall shit country.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

You must be registered for see images

"In 2013, the constitutional court of the Dominican Republic announced a decision that stripped an estimated 210,000 people — about 2 percent of the island nation's population — of their citizenship overnight.

The Dominican Republic is a Caribbean nation that occupies roughly two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola. The other half belongs to Haiti, and the two countries are divided by language, history, and race. That division has often been toughest on Dominicans who are of Haitian descent, which is the group of people who lost their citizenship in the ruling.

The government later softened the decision to allow people with birth certificates to "validate" their citizenship, and those without them to register as foreign migrants, the deadline for which was last night at midnight. But because the Dominican government has for decades systematically refused to grant birth certificates to people of Haitian descent, thousands were never able to obtain validation.

That means there are now fears of what human rights advocates have warned would be an act of ethnic cleansing: that people of Haitian descent who cannot prove their right to stay will be rounded up and forced to "return" to Haiti — a country where many of them have never lived.

Although the country's president and foreign minister have promised there will be no mass roundups, the government has announced that it is readying buses and detention centers to gather and deport people of Haitian descent, and has placed 2,000 troops on standby to support the process.

The Dominican government has cloaked this all in the language of immigration and border control, but the truth is much uglier. This is part of a much longer and more sinister story."

Source:

What's your opinion on this, guys?

My opinion is why did you try to purposefully present this as a white/black issue? This is clearly a geographical issue with one government, and possibly the populace, trying to prevent the influx of foreigners.

To Whatever

Legendary
Kin
93💸
Kumi
66💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My opinion is why did you try to purposefully present this as a white/black issue? This is clearly a geographical issue with one government, and possibly the populace, trying to prevent the influx of foreigners.
I didn't purposefully present it as anything. I word for word copied the headline and content and then provided the source.

It's the very first article seen when you googled the situation. I admit that I should have used a better article. One that defined what race and culture were being targeted in the headline.

The body says Haitian but the Headline says, "black". Like someone above me said. It's "Race baiting"

We're grouped by the media most of the time.

Jamacians=Blacks
Haitians=Blacks
Africans=Blacks
African Americans=Blacks

Last edited: