Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
iight so boom. Ronin and samurai are exactly alike except they’re not. While both arts focus on honing the blade, they’re the literal yin and yang sides of kenjutsu. Samurai which I would consider the yang, are more physical with their strikes as well as able to use elemental kenjutsu. They can make use of yang release as well and manifest things revolving around yang. Ronin are legit the absolute opposite in terms of how the blade is used. Now while ronin is ESSENTIALLY the same thing, it’s mechanically different as it is not physical (I mean, it can be. The blade itself is physical) but spiritual. So instead of manifesting something such as fire on their blade to burn someone like a samurai would do, they make their blade one with the spiritual and aim to touch the opponent’s spirituality and harm them on a debilitating spiritual level. This goes from the range of the inability for one to use their arms after suffering a strike from a ronin to straight mental damage. And again, much like samurai (but not), ronin can make use of the yin release and do things revolving around said field, in the spiritual. Samurai and Ronin both share Iado but again, one in the physical and one in the spiritual with the spiritual version being just as deadly as it is able to not only interrupt handseals but disable the use of the body part struck by the ronin. They have other things that are pretty neat but I think I done touched up on the most important parts. Can’t wait to get into this because I have a loooootttt of questions about ronin lelel

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You've got the gist of it, yeah. The main difference between the abilities and techniques of Samurai and Ronin is the way they deal damage. If you can deal damage to your opponent with your Ronin techniques successively, the time your opponent spends unable to use certain parts of their body will increase as well. Also note, due to their spiritual attunement all Ronin have a form of spiritual awareness (in the vein of Yin Release) and resistance to spiritual damage. They can use most Dokkodo techniques without the Mode, but we'll go more in depth on that later.

( Rōnin Seishin Ken no Jutsu ) – Rōnin Spiritual Blade Technique
Type: Defensive/Offensive/Supplementary
Range: Short - Long
Chakra: 20 - 40
Damage: 40 - 80
Description: A technique unique to the Rōnin, utilizing similar principles to the Samurai Sabre. The user channels their chakra through their swords and extends the reach and binding ability of the blade. This creates a meter-long spiritual wispy effect around the blade, appearing as if the blade was steaming. Crescent arcs of almost pure spiritual energy are created through the user’s swings. This chakra plays neutrally against all natures and fields. When striking an enemy’s technique, it will target the balance of spiritual and physical energies, disrupting it and dissipating it harmlessly upon overpowering or neutralizing it. S rank usage can only be done 6 times.
Note: Can only be used by Rōnin biographies.

Consider this the cornerstone technique of all Ronin techniques. You coat your weapon in spiritual energy, allowing it to deal spiritual damage through direct strikes or from a distance with arcs of energy. Any questions?

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Next is the Ronin equivalent to Iaido.

( Seishin Iaidō ) – Art of the Spiritual Quick Draw
Type: Offensive/Defensive
Range: Short
Chakra: 30 - 50
Damage: N/A
Description: Spiritual Iaidō is unique to the form of Kenjutsu practiced by Rōnin. Like its physical counterpart, this is a method of quick drawing a blade to strike opponents. This differs from the normal Iaido because it does not only aim to prevent hand seals from being created. Instead, the Spiritual Iaido aims to sever Spiritual connection, used through the formation of a spiritual blade comparable to Ronin Spiritual Blade, allowing the user to form a hilt and blade upon need in for this technique. This also differs in their damage magnitudes; this variant does not deal damage, instead increasing in rank based on how much chakra it limits the opponent from utilizing due to a spiritual imbalance. A rank prevents Forbidden ranked techniques, S rank prevents S rank and higher techniques while Forbidden ranked usage prevents enemies from making hand seals for any A rank and higher technique. S rank and higher effects last a single turn while A rank lasts for 2 turns.
Note: Can only be used by Rōnin biographies. This technique can be used to interrupt more than 1 Handseal at S and Forbidden rank. At A rank, this technique can interrupt more than 2 seals.
Note: A-Rank can be used three times, S-Rank can be used twice, and Forbidden rank can be used once.

What differs between this variant of Iaido and the original belonging to the Samurai?

Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Okay so the equivalent, of course, is that fact that the Samurai Iado aims to strike the target physically which would slice them in the blink of an eye. Whereas this is no different in terms of speed but rather than slice the physical, it does absolutely no physical damage but instead slices their spiritual being. Depending on the rank determines what rank technique being used by the target you can stop and how many seals as well as how long they have no use of the spiritually severed limb (I believe). After all that and after further reading,
I thought you needed a sword to do this, akin to a samurai but the wording leads me to believe you actually form your own spiritual blade and hilt without needing a sword. And ifs that’s the case then that’s pretty handy.

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Correct, the Spiritual Iaido works by creating a blade made of pure energy, and it doesn't deal physical damage, or any damage at all for that matter. The rank of the Spiritual Iaido determines how many seals can elapse before your attack interrupts them. For example, if your opponent is using a technique that requires two or more seals, you can use the Forbidden or S-Rank variant to prevent that technique from going through. Do note that the Forbidden variant doesn't actually prevent your opponent from performing certain techniques outright, only the formation of seals to do so.

( Abunai Ashige ) – Dangerous Strike
Type: Offensive/Supplementary
Chakra: 40
Damage: 80
Description: The user will draw their sword and attack, forming an ethereal arm and sword around his own, comparable to that of Susano’o but much smaller and resembling the user’s own body. This allows the user’s physical arm to pass through the target but the spiritual arm will make contact, cutting through the spiritual energy of a technique or the soul of a target. Due to its purely spiritual nature, not unlike the Doki used by Tayuya, the ethereal sword separates the connection between technique and user. This allows him to sever the connection a spiritual technique has with its caster, effectively ending it. Against Spiritual techniques of equal chakra and lower, this allows the user to effectively end them early. Due to the severing of spiritual energy, the target will suffer spiritual damage as well.
Note: Can be used three times per battle, once every two turns.

Tell me about this technique. How would you use it in a fight? What do you find most useful about it?

Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Okay so basically as it states in the description and even without that, it reminds me of an incomplete susano arm but as an extension of the user’s spirit. Great technique but it sucks it is only usable three times in a fight. That sux. Regardless, you form this ethereal arm and sword to effectively slice through a technique and stop it early on in its stage of development and to then proceed to cut through your opponent’s spirit and damage them on a spiritual level.

My question is, is if this cancels a tech of equal chakra, does it end both techniques like an elemental “s/w” clash or does this tech continue unphased? If it continues unphased onto the opponent and they have to defend from it separately after their tech was crushed like a peanut then I can see why it is usable twice tbh that makes mo sense

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I imagine a clash against a spiritual technique of equal chakra, that being 40 points, would neutralise both techniques, yeah.

( Kuebiko ) - Kuebiko
Type: Supplementary
Range: Short – Long
Chakra: 60 ( -20 per turn )
Damage: N/A
Description: A restricted skill among the Ronin, Kuebiko invokes the skill of Spirit Mimicry in battle, allowing the user to link their spiritual energy with that of the targets. Initiated alongside another Ronin Kenjutsu technique, this technique creates a 5 meter wave of chakra that accompanies a technique, neither debuffing nor augmenting its power. Instead, this wave of chakra is intended to contact an enemy source of chakra to establish a spiritual link. Once done, this causes a mixing of spiritual energy that allows the user to access it, drawing from the enemy. This allows the user the ability to utilize Ronin Kenjutsu and Techniques with half of the chakra being fueled by the opponent's chakra and not solely his own. This mixture of both allows it to bypass opponent defenses, dealing direct damage to their spirit despite durability levels. Because of the associated cost, the user loses 20 chakra and 10 health each turn this is active, being able to end this voluntarily. This chakra and health loss cannot be mitigated, applying after healing abilities at the end of each turn.
Note: Can only be used by Rōnin biographies and only once per battle.
Note: Can be used as a standalone technique or alongside another Ronin technique, occurring in the same timeframe in the case of the latter.

This one is fairly different to the others, and resembles Hungry Ghost somewhat.

Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
iight imma keep it a stack, i have no idea what any of this technique is saying. like i kinda get it but please explain because i would not use this in battle properly as i understand it i am sure.

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright. This technique has two methods of usage, but achieve the same result. Fundamentally, Kuebiko is about generating a largely shapeless mass of energy through your chakra that, when it makes contact with another technique, or source of chakra, will establish a spiritual link between yourself and the person to whom that chakra belongs. As per the second note, this can be used on its own, generating a wave of chakra that will simply move through the field in any direction you choose, or alongside another technique. Think of infusion-type techniques, which I'm sure you're familiar with. Do note that infusing another technique with Kuebiko doesn't have any auxiliary effect other than the spiritual link.

Now, for the link itself. Once the link between yourself and your target, which would generally be your opponent, is established, your future Ronin techniques, and all spiritual techniques (e.g. Genjutsu), can be used at half-cost. Half of the chakra will be taken from your opponent's reserves during a technique's creation, letting you save chakra without losing any efficacy in the technique. Another benefit of this is that those techniques will bypass any damage resistance afforded by things like the Yin Specialty. But remember, this only applies to your spiritual techniques.

Hope that clears it up. If so, do you have any other questions?

Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Definitely clears it up ty. Kinda what I thought but had to make sure. Got a question tho, the example you gave with genjutsu, can Ronin use genjutsu?..

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright, we'll do these next two at once because they're closely linked, and that'll be the last of the Ronin techniques.

( Fudōchi Shinmyōroku ) – The Unfettered Mind
Type: Supplementary
Chakra: 40 ( -10 per turn )
Damage: N/A ( +40 to Rōnin Kenjutsu )
Description: Considered by many to be the Rōnin’s ultimate technique, as well as their answer to the Samurai’s Bushidō. The Rōnin will release infuse their body and armor with their spiritual energy, granting them augmented abilities; it appears as an aura of purple energy. This infusion reduces the damage of all spiritual based attacks by 50. While active, the fortified spiritual energy prevents the Rōnin from falling under the influence of illusionary techniques, barring those augmented with Yin Release or cast by the Mangekyou Sharingan. The Rōnin’s Spiritual Kenjutsu are enhanced by 40 additional damage, and they become able to move three times faster than their base speed. Upon ending the Rōnin is unable to utilize Iaido, as well as use Spiritual Kenjutsu higher than A-Rank for a single turn. This technique lasts for 6 turns and can be used three times.

( Fudōchi Shinmyōroku: Taiaki ) – The Unfettered Mind: Annals of the Sword Taia
Type: Offensive/Defensive/Supplementary
Range: Short – Long
Chakra: 60 ( -20 per turn )
Damage: 120
Description: The user will draw their sword while Fudōchi Shinmyōroku is active. Based on the Rōnin’s Dangerous Strike, the Annals of the Sword Taia forms a complete spiritual ethereal warrior around the user’s body, resembling their own form. This technique is much like Susano’o though with much smaller stature; the body of Taia is the expression of the ultimate spirit, capable of passing through physical targets that would otherwise obstruct a blade and directly strike at the spiritual energy of a technique or target to inflict its damage. In a sense, this technique is simply an extension of the aura formed during the Unfettered Mind. Taia lasts for the remainder of the duration of the Unfettered Mind, though while it is active the user is only able to perform Rōnin Kenjutsu and regular Kenjutsu through their ethereal guardian. The guardian’s damage, while immense, comes at the cost of a move. Usable twice and lasts as long as the remaining time on Unfettered Mind; once this technique expires the user will be unable to use techniques above A-Rank for a single turn.
Note: Requires the user to have first used The Unfettered Mind.

Break these down for me. What are the standout characteristics of these techniques? In particular, do you see anything familiar in the second one?

Reactions: Yin

Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1: literally bushido mode but the ronin version. Almost exactly the same but spiritual instead of physical

2: almost like the ronin’s version of a skeletal susano (stage 1) and with ronin-based ability and buffs.

The second is familiar because it is formed directly from the first because it uses the same aura from Unfettered Mind to form. Both are quite gosh darn strong .