Does anyone notice some similarities between Naruto and Harry Potter?

Shruikan

Legendary
Kin
12💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So I was rereading Harry Potter and it struck me how similar these 2 series are. Both Harry and Naruto had a prophecy that they would rid the world of the respective evil villains. Both of their parents were killed when they were born by the villains. Both of them had no real idea of their parents until much later. Both of them were treated like crap and abused when they were young.

Severus Snape was seen as a villain right till the end just like Itachi yet it turns out he was protecting the main hero and the good side all along.Jiraiya is also a lot like Dumbledore, like a grandfather figure to the main hero. The Akatsuki and Pain is similar to Voldemort and his Death Eater circles

Harry also meets his dead parents and his close friends using the Resurrection stone for last minute talk before he goes to meet the villain. NaruHina is also similar to Harry and Ginny pairing. Both of them seemed last minute adjustments and seemed kinda forced to me although HarryGinny was developed much better. Both Ginny and Hinata used to swoon and fall unconscious when they met the main hero in the early days and they become more confident towards the end and just like how Naruto didn't notice Hinata romantically throughout the manga the same is the case with Harry till Book 6.

Just some observations I made lol. I couldn't find similarities for Sasuke and Sakura though. Hermione is much more useful and integral to the plot and Ron is a humorous guy.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
People have compared Naruto to Harry Potter, seeing wizards as ninjas. Like instead of ninja schools you have magic schools.

You are right, it is similair, I wonder why.

The Great Second Hokage

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
you can draw similarities between SO MANY other stories to ones like naruto and harry potter. The similarities between harry potter and the life of Jesus Christ are shockingly similar for example

AllKnowingShinobi

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yea voldemort stole oro'S immortality jutsu placing parts of his soul/ consciences in thing. And harry didnt get with Hermione but with Rooooon burgundy. And apparently gandalf is a gay like madara.

UnderTheRedHood

<div class="bbWrapper"><blockquote class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-title"> <a href="/goto/post?id=21703813" class="bbCodeBlock-sourceJump" data-xf-click="attribution" data-content-selector="#post-21703813">Melanin said:</a> </div> <div class="bbCodeBlock-content"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandContent"> Sasuke would be in Slytherin!<br /> <br /> <div class="messageHide messageHide--image"> You must be registered for see images </div> </div> <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandLink"><a>Click to expand...</a></div> </div> </blockquote>cool.</div>

UnderTheRedHood

<div class="bbWrapper"><div class="messageHide messageHide--image"> You must be registered for see images </div></div>

ninjarasengan

Veteran
Kin
3💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So I was rereading Harry Potter and it struck me how similar these 2 series are. Both Harry and Naruto had a prophecy that they would rid the world of the respective evil villains. Both of their parents were killed when they were born by the villains. Both of them had no real idea of their parents until much later. Both of them were treated like crap and abused when they were young.

Severus Snape was seen as a villain right till the end just like Itachi yet it turns out he was protecting the main hero and the good side all along.Jiraiya is also a lot like Dumbledore, like a grandfather figure to the main hero. The Akatsuki and Pain is similar to Voldemort and his Death Eater circles

Harry also meets his dead parents and his close friends using the Resurrection stone for last minute talk before he goes to meet the villain. NaruHina is also similar to Harry and Ginny pairing. Both of them seemed last minute adjustments and seemed kinda forced to me although HarryGinny was developed much better. Both Ginny and Hinata used to swoon and fall unconscious when they met the main hero in the early days and they become more confident towards the end and just like how Naruto didn't notice Hinata romantically throughout the manga the same is the case with Harry till Book 6.

Just some observations I made lol. I couldn't find similarities for Sasuke and Sakura though. Hermione is much more useful and integral to the plot and Ron is a humorous guy.
During an interview with Nippon Magazine, Kishimoto was asked about the staggering amount of comparisons between his manga franchise and Harry Potter, and the artist said that he had never read Rowling's epic fantasy novels, but he does understand the similarities they share.

“I’ve never even read the Harry Potter books," Kishimoto said. "When I started getting fan mail that said my character reminded them of Harry, though, I started to wonder, and I had a look at the first movie in the series. Then it made sense."

Shruikan

Legendary
Kin
12💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
During an interview with Nippon Magazine, Kishimoto was asked about the staggering amount of comparisons between his manga franchise and Harry Potter, and the artist said that he had never read Rowling's epic fantasy novels, but he does understand the similarities they share.

“I’ve never even read the Harry Potter books," Kishimoto said. "When I started getting fan mail that said my character reminded them of Harry, though, I started to wonder, and I had a look at the first movie in the series. Then it made sense."
Wow I never knew that.

They even have similar sequels as adults. The cursed child started with Albus hating his Dad and going off to ruin hints just like how Naruto's kid hates him when the sequel starts.

thgt89

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You forgot a few. Orochimaru is very much like Voldemort. Both were creepy even when they were young and were obsessed with forbidden techniques and immortality. The relationship Voldemort and Dumbledore had was very similar to Orochimaru and Hiruzen. Both Dumbledore and Hiruzen were very strong and were seen as old and wise. Both saw Orochimaru and Voldemort as exceptional skilled and overlooked their dark side way longer than they should of and only confronted them after it was to late to stop them. They both started with a three group team with 2 boys and one girl. The similarity with Naruto and Harry are obvious. Sakura and Hermoine are on a superficial level similar even if Hermoine is executed 100 times better. Both come from nobody families with pretty much worthless parents and were supposed to be book smart. Sasuke is nothing on any level like Ron though. Also don't forget the villain indirectly lead to the protaganist getting new power as a baby as a result of killing their parents. Naruto got the Kyubi sealed into him as a result of the attack and Harry received a portion of Voldemort's powers and both came to define them in a way.

GetsugaTenshou

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You forgot a few. Orochimaru is very much like Voldemort. Both were creepy even when they were young and were obsessed with forbidden techniques and immortality. The relationship Voldemort and Dumbledore had was very similar to Orochimaru and Hiruzen. Both Dumbledore and Hiruzen were very strong and were seen as old and wise. Both saw Orochimaru and Voldemort as exceptional skilled and overlooked their dark side way longer than they should of and only confronted them after it was to late to stop them. They both started with a three group team with 2 boys and one girl. The similarity with Naruto and Harry are obvious. Sakura and Hermoine are on a superficial level similar even if Hermoine is executed 100 times better. Both come from nobody families with pretty much worthless parents and were supposed to be book smart. Sasuke is nothing on any level like Ron though. Also don't forget the villain indirectly lead to the protaganist getting new power as a baby as a result of killing their parents. Naruto got the Kyubi sealed into him as a result of the attack and Harry received a portion of Voldemort's powers and both came to define them in a way.
Voldemort had a snake called Nagini as well paralleling Oro's affiliation with snakes and the Horcruxes are pretty similar to Oro's Cursed Seals

Shruikan

Legendary
Kin
12💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I also like the fact that both used to be frequently tortured by their power ups. Naruto used to suffer Kyuubi attacks which helped him against enemies while harming his body. Harry's scars cause him unimaginable pain when Voldemort is nearby and has saved him on multiple occasions as his Mom's protection caused that scar which prevent Voldemort from killing him.

I wished Kishimoto took hints from Harry Potter as far as the female lead and romance are concerned. Harry Ginny at least got 2 books for it. NaruHina had zero hints till the end.

Last edited: