[Discussion] Does anyone else feel that Ace was a disappointment as a Pirate?

What's your opinion?

• Agree

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

Lilvic92

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
First of all no disrespect to Ace (He's my 3rd favorite character behind Zoro and Luffy), but the dude had no ambition. He spent years tryna save up money with Sabo to sail on the sea and be a captain on his own ship and the future pirate king. But as soon as dude realized that he couldn't defeat Whitebeard he just got on his knees and sucked on Whitebeard for the next 3 years until his eventual death. He even got Whitebeard's jolly roger tatted on his back to let him know it's real. I never liked Ace's hatred for his father but I understood Ace's respect and admiration for Whitebeard, but he did some b*tch made sh*t by just disbanding the Spade Pirates just to join Whitebeard's crew. It would've been fine for Ace to just look at him as a father but he did TOO much. Luffy's respect for Shanks is on par with Ace's for Whitebeard but he would never disband the Straw Hats just to join the Red-Haired pirates, Luffy is way too determined to be the Pirate King to be a lackey on anyone's ship. In fact Luffy actually plans on eventually defeating all the Yonko, including Shanks.

Getting to the point of this thread, Ace was a great fighter, great character, and terrific brother...

But future Pirate King?....Nah he wasn't about that life.

EDIT:
Ace never said he wanted to be Pirate King, that was filler.
I wasn't aware of this fact being that I started reading the manga later than most.

Sorry everyone :D

Last edited:

Zorø

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
naaah Ace was an exeptional pirates one the strongest pirates infact he turned down the offer to join the warlords. and all also him submitting to Whitebeard is bull he did not follow him easily he tried to kill him multiple times and failed(obviously) also hes not gonna be the same as luffy is he probably his crew werent even about that life and I swear some of then even ended up joining whitebeards crew. So you you saying Ace was an disappointment is just ridiculous because he wanst 2nd divivsion of whitebeards crew for nothing and even Blackbeard acknowledge his strength.

hixa kuogame

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
He wanted Whitebeard to become pirate king because he looked up to him and he must have figured he would be best for the job. Also, unlike luffy, he never was adamant on become pirate king.. unless im wrong. It seems like he became a pirate on a whim and when he met Whitebeard he developed his goals.

Lilvic92

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
naaah Ace was an exeptional pirates one the strongest pirates infact he turned down the offer to join the warlords. and all also him submitting to Whitebeard is bull he did not follow him easily he tried to kill him multiple times and failed(obviously) also hes not gonna be the same as luffy is he probably his crew werent even about that life and I swear some of then even ended up joining whitebeards crew. So you you saying Ace was an disappointment is just ridiculous because he wanst 2nd divivsion of whitebeards crew for nothing and even Blackbeard acknowledge his strength.
It doesn't matter. I never questioned his strength as a pirate. It's like you didn't even read what I wrote, I know he didn't easily like Whitebeard, but the fact is that he still gave up his biggest dream to help Whitebeard become the Pirate King (Something that Whitebeard wasn't even remotely interested in btw). If Luffy just suddenly decided to disband the Straw Hats to become a "2nd division captain" of the Red-Haired Pirates would you be defending him in the same manner you are now?
Given Ace's potential, bloodline, and goals, in the end I feel that he was a disappointment.

And he wasn't even a first mate, Marco was still above him. I'm sorry but Ace should've stuck to his original goals.

Donj

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He wanted Whitebeard to become pirate king because he looked up to him and he must have figured he would be best for the job. Also, unlike luffy, he never was adamant on become pirate king.. unless im wrong. It seems like he became a pirate on a whim and when he met Whitebeard he developed his goals.
You right his only goal was to live free as a pirate and to thanks shanks

Lilvic92

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yep... You're right, but he wasn't a disappointment.

He's 3rd on my list too... Behind Shanks and Zoro
When I say disappointment I mean it in a way like he had too much going for him to limit himself the way he did imo.
He had one of the most powerful DF's (Mera Mera no mi), he had an exceptional bloodline (Will of D. and son of the Gold Roger)
He displayed the ability to use conqueror's haki at the age of ten and was a great fighter even before he ate the DF. So why settle for being a 2nd division captain. He could've just been an ally to the Whitebeard Pirates and the Captain of the Spade Pirates.

Yeah but the thing about that is that Whitebeard wasn't even interested in that. When Roger offered to tell Whitebeard how to get to Raftel, he declined because he didn't care.

You right his only goal was to live free as a pirate and to thanks shanks
No remember when Ace met Shanks he told him that Luffy was hos brother but that he would become the Pirate King instead of Luffy.

Last edited:

GenKiDama

Banned
Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
dude he was only 20... even WB was in some no name crew. if he survived he might of gone back to that 2. to be only twenty and above vice admiral level is very good. (below admiral)

When I say disappointment I mean it in a way like he had too much going for him to limit himself the way he did imo.
He had one of the most powerful DF's (Mera Mera no mi), he had an exceptional bloodline (Will of D. and son of the Gold Roger)
He displayed the ability to use conqueror's haki at the age of ten and was a great fighter even before he ate the DF. So why settle for being a 2nd division captain. He could've just been an ally to the Whitebeard Pirates and the Captain of the Spade Pirates.

Yeah but the thing about that is that Whitebeard wasn't even interested in that. When Roger offered to tell Whitebeard how to get to Raftel, he declined because he didn't care.

No remember when Ace met Shanks he told him that Luffy was hos brother but that he would become the Pirate King instead of Luffy.
no remember what luffy said to rayleigh ( the pirate king has the most freedom). technically still the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,661💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Give up his dream? Ace fulfilled what you think is his dream when he became captain of the Spades. They didn't disband, they became WB's subordinates.

If you knew ANYTHING about Ace, you'd know that his goal was to find the answer to one question: Was it good that I was born? Did my birth mean anything? Ace found the answer to that when he saw how everyone was fighting for him. Ace's dream was significance, and he found that. He also lived a life of freedom and adventure. Ace was a damn good pirate.

Ace never said he wanted to be Pirate King, that was filler.

Lilvic92

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And there was a time when he was a renowned captain, so how is he a waste? By your logic, Rayleigh, Marco, Zoro and Sanji should also be wastes too.
I agreed with your first post but this one is just straight up apples and oranges.
If Ace has just started off on Whitebeard's crew then sure why not. But Ace had his own crew, I just personally don't like the way he gave it up.

And btw Sanji, Zoro, and Rayliegh all had NO interest in being pirates prior to meeting their captains, so yeah I totally disagree with your point right there.

But I still do admit to being proven wrong.

You need to re-watch or re-read by yourself if Ace did say he wanted to become a Pirate King in the first place.
He said it in the anime. It's just that as an anime only viewer at the time it was hard to differentiate filler from canon when they'd fit filler aspects within main canon episodes.

Lilvic92

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He didn't disband the space pirates,they joined whitebeards crew alongside their captain(ace).
They still no longer existed, like I keep saying if Luffy and his crew joined the Red-haired pirates. They would no longer be called the Straw Hats anymore, the jolly roger wouldn't even exist anymore.

silmarill

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
His biggest dream or (objective) was actually to find acceptance for himself.
When staying on Whitebeards ship he gradually started to find or atleast understand what he was looking for , altough not yet fully he could see a glimpse of it atleast, he knew staying on WB crew would give him peace of some sorts, u could also see his change of behavior of him pré joining, he seemed happier
He did never gave up his dream , he gradually just changed in a good way
I never thought of him as being not as great as he should hve, if I remember correct Roger his father the pirate king took quite a while to even go to the grand line at a later age then Ace, Ace full potential could have been greater , he would most likely be stronger then his father was at his age, it wa sjust a shame that he met one of the strongest people in One Piece and died, but he died protecting his brother, ace deserves only praise

Last edited:

ArabianLuffy

Elite
Kin
152💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
He said it in the anime. It's just that as an anime only viewer at the time it was hard to differentiate filler from canon when they'd fit filler aspects within main canon episodes.
Yeah, it's kinda would get a fan lost in the series of events. However, if Ace ever wanted to become a Pirate King, either he become a Pirate King or die for it.

So in conclusion, Ace wasn't a disappointment as a pirate and character. He can choose to die anytime he wants unlike weaklings like Tashigi who couldn't have the choice of how to die. :)

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My friend ... Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkeeeeeeeeee

No he wasn't ... So you're saying that Ace is a disappointment as a pirate because he only ever became the 2nd division commander to one of the most revered pirates of all time? ... That's like saying an engineer is a failure because he only ever got to work for NASA

Lol

Arian

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
imo the only real disappointing thing about ace is the fact that he is like one of the very very few people who actually died in one piece :( he was such a badass and so cool... hell even that falcon guy, who sacrificed himself by flying the bomb up to the sky in alabasta survived, but ace didnt :((