[Discussion] Do anime fans get stereotyped? If so has it actually impacted your life in any significant way?

JuanMaddox

Kin
12💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was just wondering, because I feel like it’s a common and harsh stereotype that people who watch anime, particularly dudes get stereotyped as being unpleasantly weird guys that just don’t get girlfriends etc...
And the only reason I’m asking is because I am very interested in getting into anime, but I may think twice about getting into something if I know I’d get looked down upon for it. Or at the very least I would like to at least know what to expect so that be able to brace for impact at first. Does that make sense?
Thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
you're not going to get stereotyped for watching anime. if someone knows you enough to know that you like anime, odds are yall have interacted enough for the stereotypes to be irrelevant. they'd know those stereotypes dont apply to you.

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Not really I think generally alot of young people watch anime and alot of the popular series are very mainstream. I don't remember when a time it was unpopular.

Theres stereotypical jokes for anime fans but again the type of anime fans that get joked on or series that get joked on don't make up the average anime viewer.

I'm not sure how old you are but as long as you enjoy it you shouldn't care if some people potentially joke on you for it which wont really happen.

Also most people usually don't publicize they watch anime you might have some friends that have a shared interest but for friends that aren't into it in most cases seriously wont bully you about what you watch. If your issue you want to publicize your love for anime with clothing or accessories go ahead you might meet some new people into those series too. Again you shouldn't worry to much of what others think.

N o i r

Kin
93💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was just wondering, because I feel like it’s a common and harsh stereotype that people who watch anime, particularly dudes get stereotyped as being unpleasantly weird guys that just don’t get girlfriends etc...
And the only reason I’m asking is because I am very interested in getting into anime, but I may think twice about getting into something if I know I’d get looked down upon for it. Or at the very least I would like to at least know what to expect so that be able to brace for impact at first. Does that make sense?
We're not incels.
You'll be fine, but let me just say, if you're that self conscious about what ppl think of you because you'll enjoy anime and manga, then how do you live? be your authentic self and quit worrying about what some crusty ngg gonna say about you.

Not really I think generally alot of young people watch anime and alot of the popular series are very mainstream. I don't remember when a time it was unpopular.

Theres stereotypical jokes for anime fans but again the type of anime fans that get joked on or series that get joked on don't make up the average anime viewer.

I'm not sure how old you are but as long as you enjoy it you shouldn't care if some people potentially joke on you for it which wont really happen.

Also most people usually don't publicize they watch anime you might have some friends that have a shared interest but for friends that aren't into it in most cases seriously wont bully you about what you watch. If your issue you want to publicize your love for anime with clothing or accessories go ahead you might meet some new people into those series too. Again you shouldn't worry to much of what others think.
funny enough, a lot of my friends or ppl I know are into anime and we're not "that" young, I think I got lucky that many of them are weebs. All of them in their mid 20s like myself and we're pretty "normal" ppl lol I'm also very public, since I am proud of my anime and manga collection. I got a friend who's obsessed with everything DBZ though, his whole room is full of figures, posters, funko pops etc.. this boi has dropped mad cash into his collection. Love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagebee

ahmad1909

Kin
15💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have never faced any issue in real life, and the only people who got problem with me being an enthusiastic anime watcher were the peeps online who can't take a joke. Everyone in my friends circle (almost none of them watch anime, and the ones who do, do it rarely) knows about my obsession with anime/manga/novels, and no one ever flamed me for it. As for those who have a problem, who has the time to think about them? Just do your thing, and you will be good to go. In the end, it is your life.

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
We're not incels.
You'll be fine, but let me just say, if you're that self conscious about what ppl think of you because you'll enjoy anime and manga, then how do you live? be your authentic self and quit worrying about what some crusty ngg gonna say about you.

funny enough, a lot of my friends or ppl I know are into anime and we're not "that" young, I think I got lucky that many of them are weebs. All of them in their mid 20s like myself and we're pretty "normal" ppl lol I'm also very public, since I am proud of my anime and manga collection. I got a friend who's obsessed with everything DBZ though, his whole room is full of figures, posters, funko pops etc.. this boi has dropped mad cash into his collection. Love it.
When I meant young I meant i know alot if people from teenagers and the way to there 30s whose into it wouldn't be surprised if people older than that are into it to aswell. Tbh in many ways I find anime animation to be superior in things we see in the west. Due to unique story telling, conveyancing of emotion, they usually pull from more diverse source material and they run longer.

N o i r

Kin
93💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
When I meant young I meant i know alot if people from teenagers and the way to there 30s whose into it wouldn't be surprised if people older than that are into it to aswell. Tbh in many ways I find anime animation to be superior in things we see in the west. Due to unique story telling, conveyancing of emotion, they usually pull from more diverse source material and they run longer.
I'm part of a fb group called "who said anime was just for kids?" and trust me, there's ppl old enough to be my parents in the group. I always find that exciting. I reconnected with a high school ex gf after so long and she straight up told me she stopped watching anime. Some ppl do act like "anime" is what you're into when you're younger. She certainly sounded like that was the case now that she was working in her career etc.

And for sure, I think of anime as a unique way for writers/artists to tell their stories. Here in the west we have films/Hollywood going for us, but the japanese have dominated the animation side of storytelling. I watched a silent voice with my stepmom, she enjoyed it. I was telling my parents the summary of "Monster" by Naoki Urasawa and they asked if the animated series was in spanish lol Meaning, they got interested based on the summary I gave them and wanted to watch it themselves. It's like the saying, don't knock it until you tried it!

Reactions: Sagebee

JuanMaddox

Kin
12💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was just wondering, because I feel like it’s a common and harsh stereotype that people who watch anime, particularly dudes get stereotyped as being unpleasantly weird guys tha t just don’t get girlfriends etc...
i found the solution!

kujaku

Kin
2,928💸
Kumi
352💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I think there was a lot of stereotyping when I was in hs, but that is more about people's (kids in this case) ability of not being pricks and actually using more than one neuron at a time.

Now I don't see any stereotype at all. Sure, there still are people that would say mean things about anime and anime fans, but chances are those people would say mean things regarding anything, even their own mothers, so they are pretty much unimportant sad individuals and not worth it.

And if you want to watch anime, you shouldn't ask yourself what people think. Why would you do that to yourself? Why doing something according to what people think and not because you want/like to? That makes no sense and it's a horrible approach. Just do whatever makes you happy, man.

kc5181

Regular
Kin
2,119💸
Kumi
234💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My generation picked on hardcore weaboos. I'm not a weaboos, so I didn't get picked on, I just started off with mainstream stuff. But as it becomes more popular and available kids will read a few.
Post automatically merged:

Stoners usually pick on them

N o i r

Kin
93💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My generation picked on hardcore weaboos. I'm not a weaboos, so I didn't get picked on, I just started off with mainstream stuff. But as it becomes more popular and available kids will read a few.
Post automatically merged:

Stoners usually pick on them
what's your generation? just curious.

Premfection

Veteran
Kin
1,575💸
Kumi
8,090💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
My friend sometimes jokingly makes fun of me for being a big anime fan, being attracted to the female characters, and other such stuff like that but all in good fun.

Sometimes it's hard to but you have to be true to yourself and your interests. Like you gotta own that shit.

For example, I choose to ride a segway in a mall and I have some facial hair and a little bit of a belly sooo when everyone calls me paul blart I expect it lol. Kinda just who I am. Also I love riding the segway so f it :)

As long as it ain't hurting nobody you should be real about what you are into regardless of what people think. Besides that's how you end up surrounding yourself with people who like the same stuff you do

Last edited: