Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

You must be registered for see images

Fifty-nine years after James Watson and Francis Crick deduced the double-helix structure of DNA, a scientist has captured the first direct photograph of the twisted ladder that props up life.
Enzo Di Fabrizio, a physics professor at the Magna Graecia University in Catanzaro, Italy, snapped the picture using an electron microscope.
Previously, scientists had only seen DNA's structure indirectly. The double-corkscrew form was first discovered using a technique called X-ray crystallography, in which a material's shape is reconstructed based on how X-rays bounce after they collide with it.
So it turns out they were correct in the double-helix of DNA. This is an amazing accomplishment. So this begs a good question. What might be the next thing in science to be proven fact(In 50 years)?

DeadManWonderLand

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I may be uneducated, but what's this do for science really?
A multitude of things.If we can unravel the mystery of DNA which this project and the one they dubbed encode are working on then we could eventually clone perfect copies of ourselves and wipe out disease and unlock are past.Not to mention the modifications to out bodies we could be turned into super humans or maybe have out life expanded

Yusuke Urameshi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
A multitude of things.If we can unravel the mystery of DNA which this project and the one they dubbed encode are working on then we could eventually clone perfect copies of ourselves and wipe out disease and unlock are past.Not to mention the modifications to out bodies we could be turned into super humans or maybe have out life expanded
Exactly why I dislike science. Humans are made to live and then die. We shouldn't tamper with that.

Anorien16

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Exactly why I dislike science. Humans are made to live and then die. We shouldn't tamper with that.
Dont worry current technology is millenniums away to stop death (if ever possible) . . . only thing we can do is eliminate disease and expand our lifespan to its maximum potential.

If u hate such cures try saying that to person with cancer or parents with terminally ill infant....... u might get an answer to your face.

I also disagree with this cloning shit, but to dislike science in general because of it is silly.
Poe? If not, FYI cloning doesn't necessarily mean creating sentient beings, it can mean creating various forms of tissues from cells. Basically it will eliminate the need of organ donors: A person with liver damage can get liver cells etc

Also how is science silly?

On Topic:

Well in 50 years we may:
1. Find a good source of alternate energy..... we need it desperately.
2. Prove macro evolution....... work underway......
3. Reach the pinnacle of Virtual reality . . . . that wld be cool
etc

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Now, if we can come up with some actual methods to use our 'junk dna' and activate it.. it might turn out into triple-helix dna!!! :eek:

Wesobi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Quite interesting really. I'm surely hoping this will help them in further investigating the cloning of various organs and perhaps even limbs. Would be a nice breakthrough for science and people in general.

What would I like to see in 50 years, hmm... Well, as said before, a source of clean(er)/endless energy would be nice. If put to good (read: NON-DESTRUCTIVE) use.

AngryRock

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Now, if we can come up with some actual methods to use our 'junk dna' and activate it.. it might turn out into triple-helix dna!!! :eek:
Junk DNA has been proved untrue by many scientists. It was a term used a long time ago to describe DNA they had yet to figure out what they were.

Germanicus

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
A lot of credit isn't being given here to how much understanding completely our genetic material (DNA) could be used to cure diseases which result from mutations in the amino acid sequences of the double helix which prevent them from functioning properly. For example, most cancers are caused from defects or damages in coding sequences. If we understand our DNA more, we can treat the DNA base sequences directly in an effort to cure cancer. That's just an example.

Thanks for sharing the picture, by the way. We actually just got through the genetics chapter in my Bio class, so I find this more interesting right now.

Elio

Supreme
Kin
1,982💸
Kumi
13,129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Dont worry current technology is millenniums away to stop death (if ever possible) . . . only thing we can do is eliminate disease and expand our lifespan to its maximum potential.

If u hate such cures try saying that to person with cancer or parents with terminally ill infant....... u might get an answer to your face.

Poe? If not, FYI cloning doesn't necessarily mean creating sentient beings, it can mean creating various forms of tissues from cells. Basically it will eliminate the need of organ donors: A person with liver damage can get liver cells etc

Also how is science silly?

On Topic:

Well in 50 years we may:
1. Find a good source of alternate energy..... we need it desperately.
2. Prove macro evolution....... work underway......
3. Reach the pinnacle of Virtual reality . . . . that wld be cool
etc
She/he didn't say science was silly. The user said "disliking science in general because of cloning is silly". :y