[NEWS] Disney Refuses to Pay Alan Dean Foster ..

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I do not know about publishing but the article's wording suggested Disney was selling it and the seller was to pay- that's what seem to be the case to me. Anyway whatever the case I hope the issue is sorted more amicably and some clarity about contracts come out in public too. If nothing else it would be a lesson for other writers to know what to watch out for.
smh, you just cant control your charm can you? you need like a warning sign or something geez 😁😉

but yo i agree with the sentiment. one really important piece of advice i got from an older music artist when i got signed that i think applies to any creative coming into this industry. is build a relationship with the company you work with. he clearly had no kind of relationship and was being complacent till the residuals stop coming. he shouldve been on top of this, so when an independent company merges with a giant in the industry, you have people that will vouch for you and represent you within the company when you have an issue. this couldve went by a lot smoother in house. but now all he did was piss Disney off by running a smear campaign, when details of Disney’s contract with LucasFilms isnt available to him or the public

so we’ll see what happens. ive seen and heard about similar scenarios with creatives and companies in this industry, its nothing new like that article is making it out. only if it affects Disney’s ability to make money will they pay back residuals then make a new contract which wont be favorable to Foster whatsoever after this

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,430💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
now all he did was piss Disney off by running a smear campaign because he upset, when details of Disney’s contract with LucasFilms isnt available to him or the public
Actually you haven't been reading. Alan didn't run a smear campaign. Disney reportedly refused with Alan Foster unless he signed a non-disclosure agreement.

SFWA's Grievance Committee, helps authors deal with legal and rights problems, and in an effort to sort out the entire mess Alan went to to SFWA’s Grievance Committee. But talks broke down and they were unable to get Disney to pay. I quote again:

"In my decade with the organization, the fact that we are forced to present this publicly is unprecedented. So too, are the problems. The simple problem is that we have a writer who is not being paid.

The larger problem has the potential to affect every writer. Disney’s argument is that they have purchased the rights but not the obligations of the contract. In other words, they believe they have the right to publish work, but are not obligated to pay the writer no matter what the contract says. If we let this stand, it could set precedent to fundamentally alter the way copyright and contracts operate in the United States. All a publisher would have to do to break a contract would be to sell it to a sibling company. "

See ^ . They made it public when they too couldn't get Disney to talk.

And of course this is not the first time Disney has been accused of shady practices. Probably that's another reason to make this one public. Other writers are concerned too.

Reactions: GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Actually you haven't been reading. Alan didn't run a smear campaign. Disney reportedly refused with Alan Foster unless he signed a non-disclosure agreement.

SFWA's Grievance Committee, helps authors deal with legal and rights problems, and in an effort to sort out the entire mess Alan went to to SFWA’s Grievance Committee. But talks broke down and they were unable to get Disney to pay. I quote again:

"In my decade with the organization, the fact that we are forced to present this publicly is unprecedented. So too, are the problems. The simple problem is that we have a writer who is not being paid.

The larger problem has the potential to affect every writer. Disney’s argument is that they have purchased the rights but not the obligations of the contract. In other words, they believe they have the right to publish work, but are not obligated to pay the writer no matter what the contract says. If we let this stand, it could set precedent to fundamentally alter the way copyright and contracts operate in the United States. All a publisher would have to do to break a contract would be to sell it to a sibling company. "

See ^ . They made it public when they too couldn't get Disney to talk.

And of course this is not the first time Disney has been accused of shady practices. Probably that's another reason to make this one public. Other writers are concerned too.
oh im not reading? you just just busted out two different articles from the original one you posted, dont try to play me cause i caught you not reading :rolleyes:😂

but yo like ive already said if you would read 😝, theres nothing unprecedented about having him sign and NDA. entertainment companies, especially larger ones always have you sign NDA's and theres always clauses in the contracts about not publicly sharing the contract or theyll sue you. you just bring your lawyer with you and work it out, its politics. though smear campaign may be the wrong phrase my mistake but what hes doing most likely wont help in the future. but i could be wrong and hopefully it works out. regarding the SFWA, while its union and valid since he pays to be a member. im talking having connections with people actually apart of LucasFilms LTD. prior to it being sold, that wouldve helped him tremendously because this industry is politics

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,430💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
oh im not reading? you just just busted out two different articles from the original one you posted, dont try to play me cause i caught you not reading :rolleyes:😂

but yo like ive already said if you would read 😝, theres nothing unprecedented about having him sign and NDA. entertainment companies, especially larger ones always have you sign NDA's and theres always clauses in the contracts about not publicly sharing the contract or theyll sue you. you just bring your lawyer with you and work it out, its politics. though smear campaign may be the wrong phrase my mistake but what hes doing most likely wont help in the future. but i could be wrong and hopefully it works out. regarding the SFWA, while its union and valid since he pays to be a member. im talking having connections with people actually apart of LucasFilms LTD. prior to it being sold, that wouldve helped him tremendously because this industry is politics
He is still within his right to say no to NDA since he already has a contract and they are making money out of it. Just because something happens a lot doesn't mean it's a fair practice. Disney could pay him back royalty and stop publication or renew or offer him a package and cut ties. But it's being cheap.

• Love
Reactions: GrapeApe