Death Note's inspiration from One Piece's Eiichiro Oda's One Shot in Wanted!?

WoldOfFingo

Regular
Kin
8💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I found this while looking on the One Piece wiki page
I knew Oda in the past had made some short stories but this one in particular caught my eyes

God's gift for the future, a One shot made in 1993

The series revolves around an unnamed notebook of God.
Anything written with it will happen. The eraser of fate can erase the content written similar to how in the Death Note pilot exclusive the 'Death Eraser' could erase names and revive people back. ( This was ultimately not included though)

You must be registered for see images

A special notebook that can kill people whom's names are written in it, even specifics such as the time of death.. Sounds familiar?
As Death note is a rather unique conecpt I can't see this being a coincidence Ohba must have surely drawn inspiration from this wonderfull One Shot

Dat Goda :cool: He did it again

Venomous Cobra

Legendary
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Nope. Death note's author never stated that he reads manga or such, his idea was original hence why it made a huge success. Now stop overrating one piece.

Last edited:

WoldOfFingo

Regular
Kin
8💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nope. Death note's author never stated that he reads manga or such, his idea was original hence why it made a huge success. Now stop overrating one piece.
A mangaka that never read a manga nor draws inspiration from works of others? U got to be kidding..
Why are u bringing up the overration of One Piece even? Wow it never ceasez to amaze me how the glory of OP rustles people to this amount:lol
Sure his idea was original but the Death Note and the notebook's resemblances are impossible to notice
I merely wanted to inform the people of the base of the similarities between these 2 manga's. It was not my intention to upset u

Last edited:

Venomous Cobra

Legendary
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
A mangaka that never read a manga nor draws inspiration from works of others? U got to be kidding..
Well if you use that brain of your you would realize that an author who does not read manga cannot possibly be inspired by A one shot......manga.........
Why are u bringing up the overration of One Piece even? Wow it never ceasez to amaze me how the glory of OP rustles people to this amount:lol
Ehmm, you need light years of experience to even annoy me let alone rustle me .:yeah:
Sure his idea was original but the Death Note and the notebook's resemblances are impossible to notice
I merely wanted to inform the people of the base of the similarities between these 2 manga's. It was not my intention to upset u
Well similarities are always there, both mangas are colored with white and black......Oh shit DN must have copied OP........

#LogicIsFlowing I'm out.

WoldOfFingo

Regular
Kin
8💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well if you use that brain of your you would realize that an author who does not read manga cannot possibly be inspired by A one shot......manga.........

Ehmm, you need light years of experience to even annoy me let alone rustle me .:yeah:

Well similarities are always there, both mangas are colored with white and black......Oh shit DN must have copied OP........

#LogicIsFlowing I'm out.
How do u even know he does not read or has read manga's? Because he never stated he read manga's? ... srsly?
Do u think he just one day decided 'oh hey I wanna be a mangaka' but I have never read nor looked at a manga before in my life.
You're black and white analogy is just weak man, sorry

2 higher beings both present a notebook to a human with wich they can kill a person whose name is writte inside it specific to even time and date or the event how it occurs.
You obviously can't stand the fact there was someone who had the same general idea about a superpowered notebook before the author of Death Note had his

Last edited:
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I just looked Tsugami Ohba (and takeshi obata) gave the artists that inspired them. Oda was not among them sorry. The two manga explore completely different ideas I don't think that overlap in plot is relevant.

WoldOfFingo

Regular
Kin
8💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I just looked Tsugami Ohba (and takeshi obata) gave the artists that inspired them. Oda was not among them sorry. The two manga explore completely different ideas I don't think that overlap in plot is relevant.
Ok thanx for that answer. I guess it was just a mere coincidence then. Both notebooks in both stories have basically the same powers.
Interesting that 2 talented people came out with ideas so similair though

Oblivionx

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
well i don't know if the two are related but death note is a master piece. I don't see any other manga/anime even coming close to it excluding code geass may be. But that's just my opinion.... :)

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Dat Oda indeed :cool: It's possible to be an inspiration.

Just because the mangaka never stated it, doesn't mean it never happened. Mangaka's have a whole list of inspirations. All forms of manga have their roots in inspirations. I really don't get why people get so defensive over the idea of their fav. mangaka having inspiration from another series or one shot. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP was right. Btw, the OP never was overrating One Piece in that post lol.

Venomous Cobra

Legendary
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Dat Oda indeed :cool: It's possible to be an inspiration.

Just because the mangaka never stated it, doesn't mean it never happened. Mangaka's have a whole list of inspirations. All forms of manga have their roots in inspirations. I really don't get why people get so defensive over the idea of their fav. mangaka having inspiration from another series or one shot. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP was right. Btw, the OP never was overrating One Piece in that post lol.
And those inspirations can be related to real life event, stories,books or even novels. And I'm not getting defensive, it just feels weird when fanboys of a manga you like yourself start giving it too much credit over non existing things, if OP simply mentioned the similarities, it would having been way better but no, he had put some non existing bullshit bout inspiration and shit. And no, he ain't right, there's no "if", the guy was clearly trying to give oda credit for something that he has never done or never could. One of the few reasons I dislike mainstream mangas in general.......

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
And those inspirations can be related to real life event, stories,books or even novels. And I'm not getting defensive, it just feels weird when fanboys of a manga you like yourself start giving it too much credit over non existing things, if OP simply mentioned the similarities, it would having been way better but no, he had put some non existing bullshit bout inspiration and shit. And no, he ain't right, there's no "if", the guy was clearly trying to give oda credit for something that he has never done or never could. One of the few reasons I dislike mainstream mangas in general.......
Ofc, even video games. Mangaka's inspirations have no limits and it applies to every writer or artist out there. It doesn't have to be part of the same medium. You're not getting defensive? I don't know about that. It looked like you didn't like the idea of it possibly being an inspiration. That's just the OP's opinion, nothing to get offended over lol. Look dude, even the title is approached as a question. He's asking if you think it is or not. To him personally, it is and he shouldn't be bashed because he has that belief.

You could of easily just said no or I disagree and that would of been cool or it would of been even better if you had evidence to refute that but you tried to attack him later and told him that he's overrating One Piece. The dude never even brought up One Piece, aside from finding it on a One Piece wiki site.

Even if this was confirmed as an inspiration, what's the big deal? Does it take away from DN's popularity/success/quality of the series? No. Just relax dude.

Venomous Cobra

Legendary
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Ofc, even video games. Mangaka's inspirations have no limits and it applies to every writer or artist out there. It doesn't have to be part of the same medium. You're not getting defensive? I don't know about that. It looked like you didn't like the idea of it possibly being an inspiration. That's just the OP's opinion, nothing to get offended over lol. Look dude, even the title is approached as a question. He's asking if you think it is or not. To him personally, it is and he shouldn't be bashed because he has that belief.

You could of easily just said no or I disagree and that would of been cool or it would of been even better if you had evidence to refute that but you tried to attack him later and told him that he's overrating One Piece. The dude never even brought up One Piece, aside from finding it on a One Piece wiki site.

Even if this was confirmed as an inspiration, what's the big deal? Does it take away from DN's popularity/success/quality of the series? No. Just relax dude.
As Death note is a rather unique conecpt I can't see this being a coincidence Ohba must have surely drawn inspiration from this wonderfull One Shot

Dat Goda :cool: He did it again
and no it does not, It just sounds annoying when someone is trying to give too much credit to someone based on some non existing bullshit. Sorry if was rude but it is obvious as day light that he was trying to say that death note was inspired by oda's work which is far from the truth.