Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I know the title sounds wrong, so let me give a bit of context and explain myself. For the longest, I have never truly fitted in with my African-American family. Like, I don't ACTUALLY speak with my uncles, mother, grandparents, cousins, etc. This has been the case LONG before I had even hit the age of 10. My talks with them stop at needs such as college, work, and food. The only family I truly speak with are my siblings and it's about general interest things such as anime and games. And you know what? I've spent vastly more time online(NB/Reddit/etc) talking about such topics than I have with my actual family.

The result of this is that, while I understand them very well, I'm culturally removed from them. They have the understanding that I probably won't know the hottest rap single, don't watch basketball/football, may not know ALL of the slang they sling, and won't know many of their trending celebrities. But my understanding of them is more bent. It goes beyond interests. A person may think that being so removed would feel depressing, but it doesn't. What feels depressing is seeing what I COULD have been if I were closer to them. Like I said, this goes beyond interests.
Culture is a package deal and much of it is just baggage.

Their racism, sexism, homophobia, mentality, and so on are part of the deal too. They and, by extrapolation, you are likely to be blind to the downsides of your cultures. To prove how heavily these things correlate just look into specific interests and notice the crowds they attract. Gun boards are typically conservative and may predominantly feature news articles of black thugs doing this and that, rap boards are typically center-left~ish and may predominantly feature news articles of this black and that black being wronged, and so on this pattern repeats with a multitude of interests. From their eyes, they're being wronged by the other. From my eyes, they're BOTH fighting real-life boogeymen AND are simultaneously creating more boogeymen in the process. This isn't to say they don't have valid concerns, but that they're super polarized and unnecessarily so. Each culture looks at one another and sees the boogeymen, but not the millions of regular people. Oftentimes, many of these boogeymen aren't even from the opposing culture but a shared enemy.

Now I want to zoom back out to wrap this up. Those are just interests and culture is also tradition, yes? When I say culture should be destroyed, I don't mean that I want all of these interests and traditions to be wiped. I mean that I DON'T want these things to be exclusive. In other words, I'd prefer if cultures expanded and were more inclusive. Being born black, you'd expect me to have a taste for hip-hop, and you'd expect me to like hunting or baseball if I were born white in America. The point that this makes clear is there was never a REAL option for you to branch out and connect with the other cultures, and by extension, races. To destroy cultures is to destroy the barriers and let those interests and traditions reach you AND your children. Let yourself and child do things BEYOND what you were raised with. They won't be isolated, but simply surrounded by a more varied environment. Their shared identity shouldn't be culture, but their strong belief in human rights.

A followup question to this is that some people hold dear to traditions that many find reprehensible, so should we just tolerate that? To that, my answer is no. No tradition should be valued above human or animal rights and that's that. Thoughts?

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,404💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
As long you do not try to destroy mine, you are free to do whatever you want, with yours.
:nero:

However racism, sexism, homophobia, crimes etc do not and should not define a culture. A culture is more than the social issues it may need to resolve and it has to evolve with times and adjust to new environment too if it's changing it's habitat.

No tradition should be valued above human or animal rights and that's that.
Cow, chicken, fishes have as much right to be not eaten as dog. Are you going vegetarian?

Reactions: Sagebee

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
As long you do not try to destroy mine, you are free to do whatever you want, with yours.
:nero:
You're not safe.
Avani said:
However racism, sexism, homophobia, crimes etc do not and should not define a culture. A culture is more than the social issues it may need to resolve and it has to evolve with times and adjust to new environment too if it's changing it's habitat.
But culture often ends up crashing into these issues, thus they're defined by them anyways. A man that specifically goes out of way to belittle women is sexist, and a culture that does the same would also be sexist EVEN if there's more to it. The only acceptable evolution is to cut the pieces that do off(or maybe some kind pact).
Avani said:
Cow, chicken, fishes have as much right to be not eaten as dog. Are you going vegetarian?
I would like to.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You know I could insert an Itachi quote here on how we are all limted by "things" and how it clouds our potential and stuff but I wont.

xD

I think culture can be really powerful, like for example if you have the chance to go to a fancy rich school then like you can't expect to behave like an idiot if you are there, cus you wont fit in.
Like, I think you should respect other cultures and stuff.

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
So pretty much your saying you just want more cultures to be more inclusive? Do you care how much someone's defined by their culture?

Theres really no way everyone will unify and get each other it really comes down to the individual how much their culture defines them how how inclusive they ate of their culture and how open they are to other cultures. You can also create your own mini community issue is when people try to enforce on others how to think and live.

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You know I could insert an Itachi quote here on how we are all limted by "things" and how it clouds our potential and stuff but I wont.

xD

I think culture can be really powerful, like for example if you have the chance to go to a fancy rich school then like you can't expect to behave like an idiot if you are there, cus you wont fit in.
Like, I think you should respect other cultures and stuff.
Are you saying you'd have to respect cultures if you dipped into them or that you should simply respect cultures because you can't dip into them all?
So pretty much your saying you just want more cultures to be more inclusive? Do you care how much someone's defined by their culture?

Theres really no way everyone will unify and get each other it really comes down to the individual how much their culture defines them how how inclusive they ate of their culture and how open they are to other cultures. You can also create your own mini community issue is when people try to enforce on others how to think and live.
Yup. I would pretty much prefer if they were all more inclusive. It's OK for it to come down to the individual, I just don't like the thought of said individual never having the option to branch out to begin with. The issue you listed is also more likely to occur by a system enforcing my idea than the cultures, so you should probably be more wary of the idea itself lol.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
"People Live their Lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That is how they define "Reality" . But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? They are merely vague concepts... Their "Reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to be simply living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

I can interpret that as we are bound by the culture we grow up in.
Itachi grew up in the Uchiha clan.

But he identified as konoha's Itachi and not the Uchiha's Itachi.
You can think the cultural values laid upon you is correct and true.
You can think the reality you grow up in is the only reality that matters but it isn't. We can look beyond those prisons of the mind.

Now...Itachi did literally kill his culture, I don't think you should do that. But I couldn't resist on relating to him :S.

You must be registered for see images

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"People Live their Lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That is how they define "Reality" . But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? They are merely vague concepts... Their "Reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to be simply living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

I can interpret that as we are bound by the culture we grow up in.
Itachi grew up in the Uchiha clan.

But he identified as konoha's Itachi and not the Uchiha's Itachi.
You can think the cultural values laid upon you is correct and true.
You can think the reality you grow up in is the only reality that matters but it isn't. We can look beyond those prisons of the mind.

Now...Itachi did literally kill his culture, I don't think you should do that. But I couldn't resist on relating to him :S.

You must be registered for see images

u misfuckingunderstood itachi kote...he said it about tobidara...ya foolz..i swear god u will all remember minamoto's speaking truth when tobidara gets revealed...y'll remember me bunch of fvvcking foolz..

Reactions: Chikombo

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
u misfuckingunderstood itachi kote...he said it about tobidara...ya foolz..i swear god u will all remember minamoto's speaking truth when tobidara gets revealed...y'll remember me bunch of fvvcking foolz..
I think he spoke about his frustration of the expectations of his clan when he could be so much more outside of that.

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think he spoke about his frustration of the expectations of his clan when he could be so much more outside of that.
there was a other madara inside teh bobito zetsu skin....thats madara's ultimate secret....i dont know about teh other edo-madara....but teh other edo-madara was like kabuto's creation...teh reall madara was tobidara and he was willing to revive his reall body through nagato's rinnetensei....MADARA'S BODY SECRETS ENGRAVED IN TEH UCHIHA STONE (chaptar 560) will solve many tobidara puzzles...

Reactions: Chikombo

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
there was a other madara inside teh bobito zetsu skin....thats madara's ultimate secret....i dont know about teh other edo-madara....but teh other edo-madara was like kabuto's creation...teh reall madara was tobidara and he was willing to revive his reall body through nagato's rinnetensei....MADARA'S BODY SECRETS ENGRAVED IN TEH UCHIHA STONE (chaptar 560) will solve many tobidara puzzles...
I hope you continue to fight for that theory a 100 years from now.

Cus that's what Madara did, he never gave up until he died a second time.

• Angry
Reactions: minamoto