JDtheAlchemist

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Eh, I don't think so. Luffy is more of a hand to hand type fighter. The only time we ever saw him use a weapon was as a joke in Arlong Park if I recall correctly.

kimb

Veteran
Kin
67💸
Kumi
703💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Luffy's a brawler and he's constantly using punches and kicks for attacks. That's his fighting style. Staffs, swords, or blunt weapons aren't really up Luffy's ally. Although, I could see him getting shanks sword if shanks ends up dying near the end of the series.

Anduril

Legendary
Kin
42💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Luffy's a brawler and he's constantly using punches and kicks for attacks. That's his fighting style. Staffs, swords, or blunt weapons aren't really up Luffy's ally. Although, I could see him getting shanks sword if shanks ends up dying near the end of the series.
Sword is the last thing luffy would use. If it's gonna be anything I bet it will be a staff.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
He also had a massive sword as Nightmare Luffy, but i dont think he actually used it.
He sliced Oars with it once, but he didn't use it beyond that.

I feel like a staff and his name being monkey would lead people to connect him to Sun WuKong and then they might connect that's who Goku was based on and try to connect Luffy and Goku.
The connection between Sun Wukong, Goku, and Luffy already exists. Oda based Luffy on Goku and Goku was based on Wukong(Sun Wukong is the Chinese translation of Son Goku).

Last edited:

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He sliced Oars with it once, but he didn't use it beyond that.

The connection between Sun Wukong, Goku, and Luffy already exists. Oda based Luffy on Goku and Goku was based on Wukong(Sun Wukong is the Chinese translation of Son Goku).
I hadn't heard Luffy was based on Goku. Not arguing but I don't really see it.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Luffy was based on Sun Wukong, as Sun Wukong had a weakness to smoke. Hence why Smoker is Luffy's rival. That's one of the few inspirations I know of & I think it's more Sun Wukong than Goku.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Imbuing a weapon with Haki isn't a particular rare skill. Logically the more adept you are at controlling Haki, the stronger the weapon will become and the more destructive its attacks will be. However in the end the efficiency of using the weapon solely depends on the skill of the user. For Luffy who has always fought with hand-to-hand combat, suddenly using a weapon is not going to be a power up, in fact it might even be a downgrade as even if he strengthens the weapon, what use does it have if he can't wield it properly? That would work more against him than in his favor.

Sure he has on occasion used a weapon, but that's exactly that: on occasion. It might be beneficial in a specific fight when coincidently a certain weapon would work against a specific opponent, but that's not really what you would call a power up. For example Nightmare Luffy used a sword against Moria, but at that time Luffy had eaten a shadow (or even shadows) of people who were experienced swordsman. Outside that most of the time Luffy used an object it was on the spur of the moment and he treated it like a throwaway.

So unless Luffy actually learns extensively to master a specific weapon, which pretty much goes against his entire fighting style, it really wouldn't be a power up.

Anduril

Legendary
Kin
42💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Imbuing a weapon with Haki isn't a particular rare skill. Logically the more adept you are at controlling Haki, the stronger the weapon will become and the more destructive its attacks will be. However in the end the efficiency of using the weapon solely depends on the skill of the user. For Luffy who has always fought with hand-to-hand combat, suddenly using a weapon is not going to be a power up, in fact it might even be a downgrade as even if he strengthens the weapon, what use does it have if he can't wield it properly? That would work more against him than in his favor.

Sure he has on occasion used a weapon, but that's exactly that: on occasion. It might be beneficial in a specific fight when coincidently a certain weapon would work against a specific opponent, but that's not really what you would call a power up. For example Nightmare Luffy used a sword against Moria, but at that time Luffy had eaten a shadow (or even shadows) of people who were experienced swordsman. Outside that most of the time Luffy used an object it was on the spur of the moment and he treated it like a throwaway.

So unless Luffy actually learns extensively to master a specific weapon, which pretty much goes against his entire fighting style, it really wouldn't be a power up.
Well that pretty much sums it up lol thread closed xD

Well as many have pointed out I was thinking of sun wukong too! And the fact that all 3 of them used to use Iron pipes as weapons when young or was it just Ace and Sabo? Dunno....

Last edited:

Tomato God

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Well for a brawler with immense natural talent and no formal or informal training in fighting (the training grounfor was for mostly haki and I will admit he did learn fighting principles but by no means any specific styles) it would be good to learn a formal discipline and refine his raw talent