Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Okay, don't get me wrong, but this is not manga coloring, this is filling colors, which any guy who is familiar with his software can do in .. I'd say maximum 3 minutes.

I'm not here to just flame work without reason, I'm saying that because it's better for you, aim for the awesome not the okay-ish. Do lineart (remove extra black lines), do shading, do highlighting, draw background. Just do everything to make it perfect.

Let's take as an example your kabuto one down ill post image of manga coloring done by my friend with exactly this panel. His name is John (aka Mercy, I'm sure he is on NB too)

You must be registered for see images

Torche

Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
3,732💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Okay, don't get me wrong, but this is not manga coloring, this is filling colors, which any guy who is familiar with his software can do in .. I'd say maximum 3 minutes.

I'm not here to just flame work without reason, I'm saying that because it's better for you, aim for the awesome not the okay-ish. Do lineart (remove extra black lines), do shading, do highlighting, draw background. Just do everything to make it perfect.

Let's take as an example your kabuto one down ill post image of manga coloring done by my friend with exactly this panel. His name is John (aka Mercy, I'm sure he is on NB too)

>Coloured manga

Here is what official coloured manga looks like:

Sure OP could have shaded a bit, probably should have, however, OP did exactly as he said; coloured manga. Digital art =/= manga colouring; sure it's the same, but at the same time different (if that makes any sort of sense?).

I get that you're trying to help, but.. :lol Not everyone has the time/patients/skill, etc - or perhaps even they do not wish to learn it? - to put into learning digital artwork of that level.

Just L

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
>Coloured manga

Here is what official coloured manga looks like:

Sure OP could have shaded a bit, probably should have, however, OP did exactly as he said; coloured manga. Digital art =/= manga colouring; sure it's the same, but at the same time different (if that makes any sort of sense?).

I get that you're trying to help, but.. :lol Not everyone has the time/patients/skill, etc - or perhaps even they do not wish to learn it? - to put into learning digital artwork of that level.
Both are manga colorings, your example is bad manga coloring while provided by me - good. I have psd of that coloring, trust me its not digital art, but that's a nice compliment for creator lol.

I'm trying to say to not praise work which requires under 5 minutes for any half decent gfx-er. Yeah I can say gj OP and what ? Does it boost his ego ? Probably. Will it help him ? No.

And don't doubt my words without with a proper argument.. It was like "hey manga coloring is not what you said, it's what I said because I said it." I have some emm experience to know what is what and to be sure what I'm talking about.

Oh almost forgot provided by you "official colored manga" is still fun made, either by translator or who is releasing them.

Torche

Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
3,732💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Both are manga colorings, your example is bad manga coloring while provided by me - good. I have psd of that coloring, trust me its not digital art, but that's a nice compliment for creator lol.

I'm trying to say to not praise work which requires under 5 minutes for any half decent gfx-er. Yeah I can say gj OP and what ? Does it boost his ego ? Probably. Will it help him ? No.

And don't doubt my words without with a proper argument.. It was like "hey manga coloring is not what you said, it's what I said because I said it." I have some emm experience to know what is what and to be sure what I'm talking about.

Oh almost forgot provided by you "official colored manga" is still fun made, either by translator or who is releasing them.
I agree that the style you posted looks better; superior, but that's the effect of different styles of colouring. :) Perhaps I used the wrong word or term then? Idk, it seemed like the appropriate term to use.

Never said you had to, I agree that it would not help. But, you could have at least posted some links to get started. Seems like the decent thing to do, no?

I don't doubt your words. Perhaps I phrased what I said incorrectly. What I mean was one style was simple, and another complex taking more skill, time, and effort. One is closer to digital art, and another more geared to the style that is recognized as "official" despite what you have to say about it. Yeah, I didn't convey my meaning well at all. In fact, I darn right failed. I should have labelled them "advanced manga colouring" and "simple manga colouring," perhaps? You said that he was incorrect in saying what he did was colouring manga, and yet he did exactly that and I went and did the same thing... :lol

It's literally official as in "official".

Here, about Naruto chapter 700 which was release first in colour.

Unique to all other chapters in the series, this chapter was originally released in colour as opposed to black-and-white. However, the tankōbon version of this chapter is released in black-and-white. It was later released in the Zai no Sho, again in full colour.
That doesn't say that it's the only chapter officially release in colour, just that it was released in colour before black and white.

Just L

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I agree that the style you posted looks better; superior, but that's the effect of different styles of colouring. :) Perhaps I used the wrong word or term then? Idk, it seemed like the appropriate term to use.

Never said you had to, I agree that it would not help. But, you could have at least posted some links to get started. Seems like the decent thing to do, no?

I don't doubt your words. Perhaps I phrased what I said incorrectly. What I mean was one style was simple, and another complex taking more skill, time, and effort. One is closer to digital art, and another more geared to the style that is recognized as "official" despite what you have to say about it. Yeah, I didn't convey my meaning well at all. In fact, I darn right failed. I should have labelled them "advanced manga colouring" and "simple manga colouring," perhaps? You said that he was incorrect in saying what he did was colouring manga, and yet he did exactly that and I went and did the same thing... :lol

It's literally official as in "official".

Here, about Naruto chapter 700 which was release first in colour.

That doesn't say that it's the only chapter officially release in colour, just that it was released in colour before black and white.
Will start with the last and quite myself here,

provided by you "official colored manga" is still fun made, either by translator or who is releasing them.
About the rest as you can see I didn't even post direct link to dA, because it's against the rules I think, so couldn't provide any useful guides or something. If anyone will be interested will gladly help through PM, been there done that, will do as many times as people ask.

Peoples works should be praised by efforts, I just want to give proper "judgment" to the works posted here. Only saying what I think, not in a rude way too I believe. Also when I don't know nothing about architecture - I don't praise a building and saying how well built it is. To not get anyone confused I'm saying that people should stop commenting "nice" "good" without any reason, at least say what they like and what they dislike. aka providing some useful info for the creator.
There is a reason why every good gfx-er quit form nb.
Edit: wording
Every good old gfx-er.

Last edited:

Torche

Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
3,732💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Will start with the last and quite myself here,

About the rest as you can see I didn't even post direct link to dA, because it's against the rules I think, so couldn't provide any useful guides or something. If anyone will be interested will gladly help through PM, been there done that, will do as many times as people ask.

Peoples works should be praised by efforts, I just want to give proper "judgment" to the works posted here. Only saying what I think, not in a rude way too I believe. Also when I don't know nothing about architecture - I don't praise a building and saying how well built it is. To not get anyone confused I'm saying that people should stop commenting "nice" "good" without any reason, at least say what they like and what they dislike. aka providing some useful info for the creator.
There is a reason why every good gfx-er quit form nb.
Edit: wording
Every good old gfx-er.
Yeah, but that doesn't discredit anything. :| OP was more-or-less trying to mimic that and it's labelled as coloured manga.

True. Although I think with something like that if you used it's fine. My apologies there.

It's good that you do, as it can help when said help/advice is given with some detail. That's fine, but I think it came of a bit rude, tbh. Maybe that's just me. That's true, however you have to keep in mind that this is not a GFX forum. It's just the Design section of an anime/manga forum. Most of the people here probably haven't ever used software like photoshop, gimp, etc. Even if they have, it doesn't mean they have extensive knowledge on GFX to try to help further improve other people.

Yeah, probably because it isn't a GFX forum and they couldn't receive "sufficient" cnc as a result. :| There are a handful of skilled people, and then there are mediocre and entry-level people like myself. I think your standards are a bit too high for this place in the sense of everyone having the knowledge to help people improve.

And I think this will be my last post here. It's getting off-topic. :)

Reactions: Just L

Just L

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Last post then too, sorry for a bit of off-topic.

This forum was GFX heaven back in the days, so many talented gfx-ers.
What I'm saying if people don't want to invest time and doing something that requires 4 hours in 5 minutes without effort, no one should be surprised if they receive deserved "praise".

For the OP, when there are colors there is a light and when there is a light there are shadows. Always shade your colorings.

Reactions: Torche