Year of Serialization: 2014

Author(s): Horikoshi Kouhei

Artist(s): Horikoshi Kouhei

Genre(s): Action, Comedy, School Life, Shounen, Supernatural

Current Status: Ongoing

Moment of Reviewing: 55th chapter

Other Formats: /

Series Summary:

Izuku Midoriya is a timid boy with no confidence that gets bullied and the reason for this all is the exact same one: he is quirkless. Quirks are superpowers and in this day and age over 80% of the world population has one. It all started with a single Chinese baby that was born and during the span of a few generations the phenomenon occurred all around the world. The result was that the entire human society underwent a drastic metamorphosis, centering around these quirks. The most important innovation was that of the creation of the hero-profession. By now people without quirks have become extremely rare and stigmatized, which makes Midoriya's dream of becoming a hero nearly impossible. To make matters worse his childhood friend, and also his primary bully, brims with confidence because of his powerful quirk. By chance however Midoriya encounters All Might, the most powerful hero in the world, and he accidentally finds out that he has a severe injury that makes him unable to use his quirk for more than a few hours a day and that he currently has reached his limit. Right at that point a villain attacks Bakugou, the bully, and without a second thought Midoriya tries to save him despite it meaning certain death. This made All Might elaborate again on what it means to be a hero as Midoriya told him about his situation and he still jumped in. All Might then pushed his body beyond its limits and saved both of them. In the aftermath All Might had made a decision: he would tell Midoriya about the nature of his quirk, One for All. It's rather special in that it can be transferred once to another person, who then inherits the power of all the previous wielders. All Might had been searching for ages for a successor and finally found him. The problem however is that the quirk is immensely powerful, so to make Midoriya learn to control it, he enrolled him in the most prestigious hero academy of Japan. What follows is the story of how Midoriya tries to master One for All and this while being thrown head first into the world of twisted villains and ferocious rivals with only one purpose: becoming the next symbol of peace.
Critical Review:

A while ago I was just browsing the internet and I stumbled upon a short fan made comic with Naruto, Ichigo and Luffy where Naruto said something to a kid I didn't recognize, that it was now up to him. After that you saw Naruto leaving with Luffy talking about how big the kid would become. There was also a panel with a picture that was inspired by the iconic Team 7 picture, only this time Team 7 consists out of a young Luffy, Naruto and Ichigo with Goku as their teacher. Obviously this comic was meant to represent the passing of the torch in the world of manga. The Big Three, Naruto and One Piece in particular, got strongly inspired by Dragonball and this comic implies that they on their turn are inspiring the next generation and the unknown character in particular. Not long after that I decided to read Boku no Hero Academia and I suddenly came to the realization that Midoriya was the unknown character and that the thought that this series is going to be the next generation standard-bearer was very well possible.

Boku no Hero Academia is what you best could describe as an archetypical Shonen manga, which means it has by default all the elements to make it. The main character is a somewhat anti-social and weak person with a minority complex, but with the ambition of become the best there is and he lives in a world filled to the brim with superpowers. The comparison with Naruto is almost identical, though the big difference lies in the fact that he has a brain and not the usual idiot with a big mouth. This has even become a running gag throughout the series that whenever he needs to prepare something, the starts formulating detailed plans using notes he has been making during his entire life. In the end this series is like One-Punch Man meats One Piece. Just like in OPM the entire verse is based around the rather traditional superhero-concept (flashy costumes, weird names, sidekicks etc.), however unlike in OPM it's not meant as one huge parody. This is where the comparison with OP comes in as it gives off that same vibe. There are countless of colorful characters with weird personalities and even weirder abilities and looks. This somewhat child-like appearance of villains and heroes is one of the reasons as why OP gained such popularity. The author even specifically stated that he reads OP and even sent once an artwork that got published in one of the volumes long before he himself became a mangaka.

That Boku no Hero Academia is a rather traditional series and is similar to OP, is something that might scare away some people as one of the recurrent critics of people who don't like OP, is that it appears to childish. That might be so, but in the end it's undeniable that this formula works. That this series is gaining rapidly popularity despite only having been serialized for one year, is once again a testimony of that. It still however is very different on three points.

The first one is the artwork. As said before just like Oda the author likes to make colorful characters. His drawing style though is what I can best describe as being more spiky and rectangular while that of Oda is much more fluid and curvy. For example many characters have hair that's overly spiked, their limbs look like they're made out of straight lines and their fingertips look more square than round. The cloths also get strongly emphasized resulting in them being borderline caricature. This is often already the case when people wear 'normal' cloths, but it counts even more when they wear their heroes outfit. There's a character that has his two lower arms covered in two huge grenades and another in a complete space suit. This ridiculous outfits is where the series strongly resembles OPM.

Secondly Oda has created a world with an enormous depth. However to accomplish that he had to take his time and build up the story slowly. The first chapters/arcs of most series are often also meant to get you into it and only afterwards the real story begins. This is not the case here, Boku no Hero Academia is very quick-paced. But as a result it lacks the depth One Piece has, the feeling you get that there's an entire world out there is lacking. The academy Midoriya joined, is the most prestigious one in Japan. He gets in with no real issues and then in his class you have a series of characters that don't look particularly special. Quite rapidly their class also gains popularity and several characters noticed quite quickly a connection between All Might and Midoriya, including several villains. This makes it sometimes feel rushed.

Lastly so far it misses the ability that causes that indescribable feeling that you know this is something special when you read. It's very easy to understand as why this series could potentially be the next big thing, but compared to OP or Naruto it still lacks that je ne sais quoi. As long as that feeling doesn't appear, even if it succeeds in becoming one of the leading manga series, it would just be a lesser version of the ones that came before it.

Nonetheless I have high hopes for Boku no Hero Academia, especially because it's still unclear what the 'Grand Plan' is. Every typical Shonen manga has that plan, but currently it's very unclear which direction the story will go. In the least it's a very entertaining manga where you can easily cruise through and if I would make list of the series that have the highest chance of becoming the Big 3's successor, it's definitely this one.

You must be registered for see images

- Reviewed by Caliburn

Reactions: Lilvic92

Lilvic92

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Favorite manga right now!!

Favorite characters

1.Todoroki Shouto
2.Midoriya Izumi aka Deku
3.Ururaka Ochako aka Uravity
4.Stain aka The Hero Killer
5.Tsuyu Asui aka Froppy

Totsuka No Tsurugi

Legendary
Kin
53💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have high hopes for this one.... but looking at their manga sales ( am not comparing them with current Naruto and the other big 3 sales, am comparing them with how well Naruto and the others did in the sales chart during its early days of serialization) its quite a stretch to say that(not you) this manga is going to become big and replace/succeed Naruto as the next big thing,

considering that its been a year since their serialization and they barely make any noise in the sales, heck even Toriko which turned out to be a bogus successor of One Piece make more sales during its early days before plummeting down to the abyss,

Having said that an Anime adaptation might boost the manga sales, but if that ever happens then we can safely assumed that this manga is not in the same league with the big 3, considering none of the big 3 need an anime adaptation to turned the sales upside down.

Lilvic92

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have high hopes for this one.... but looking at their manga sales ( am not comparing them with current Naruto and the other big 3 sales, am comparing them with how well Naruto and the others did in the sales chart during its early days of serialization) its quite a stretch to say that(not you) this manga is going to become big and replace/succeed Naruto as the next big thing,

considering that its been a year since their serialization and they barely make any noise in the sales, heck even Toriko which turned out to be a bogus successor of One Piece make more sales during its early days before plummeting down to the abyss,

Having said that an Anime adaptation might boost the manga sales, but if that ever happens then we can safely assumed that this manga is not in the same league with the big 3, considering none of the big 3 need an anime adaptation to turned the sales upside down.
Yeah but anime is a different animal nowaday, probably because of the Internet and social media. Attack on Titan sells like crazy only because the massive success of the anime brought attention to the manga.

With the crazy powers , fights, and great artwork of Boku no Hero. If given to the right studio, I think that the anime will blow people away. The main reason the Naruto and One Piece animes suck so hard is that they make an episode every freakin week so they don't have time to make it quality so most of the time you get crappie animation and filler (Naruto) or an abysmal on chapter per episode pacing with horrible animation (One Piece)

When Boku no Hero gets an anime that shit is gonna rock the anime community, I'm calling it now lol

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

There's quite a generation gap here. I would need to verify this, but I'm pretty certain that the current situation is quite different from when Naruto or OP had their 55th chapter. Back then manga was still only a Japanese phenomenon with only a few, like Dragonball and Rurouni Kenshin, having it made to the West and then only in television format. These days however manga is big business and the amount of series is far higher. Now it's also far easier to get your hands on manga for free, by simply reading it online. This is really not something that was possible, or far more difficult, 10-15 years ago.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah but anime is a different animal nowaday, probably because of the Internet and social media. Attack on Titan sells like crazy only because the massive success of the anime brought attention to the manga.

With the crazy powers , fights, and great artwork of Boku no Hero. If given to the right studio, I think that the anime will blow people away. The main reason the Naruto and One Piece animes suck so hard is that they make an episode every freakin week so they don't have time to make it quality so most of the time you get crappie animation and filler (Naruto) or an abysmal on chapter per episode pacing with horrible animation (One Piece)

When Boku no Hero gets an anime that shit is gonna rock the anime community, I'm calling it now lol
The sales in Japan for Boku No Hero Academia is already good and that's without an anime. I got high hopes for the series.

OT: Nice review. It does have an interesting setting.

Gintõki1

Elite
Kin
16💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Great review from you agiin. (favorite is Shokugeki though. :p)

The only thing that bothers me is the mc. I just can't stand a kid as the protagonist, since most of them are annoying in Mangas/Anime.
However, i think i just read the first chapters and see. (even if i hate to start a manga when i have something that really bugs me about it)

Last edited:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Great review from you agiin. (favorite is Shokugeki though. :p)

The only thing that bothers me is the mc. I just can't stand a kid as the protagonist, since most of them are annoying in Mangas/Anime.
However, i think i just read the first chapters and see. (even if i hate to start a manga when i have something that really bugs me about it)
Midoriya isn't the most charismatic character. I'm honestly said more interested in his interactions with other characters.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
is it only manga??? or it has an anime????
Anime is coming next season. There's no confirmation about it being 12 or 24 episodes. It's probably going to be 24 episodes. However, I'd say start with the manga since BONES (the studio animating this series) does anime only endings for some of their series. I'm not saying it'll be a bad adaptation for sure but there is that chance. The PV does look promising.

I posted the PV a while back:

sravan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Anime is coming next season. There's no confirmation about it being 12 or 24 episodes. It's probably going to be 24 episodes. However, I'd say start with the manga since BONES (the studio animating this series) does anime only endings for some of their series. I'm not saying it'll be a bad adaptation for sure but there is that chance. The PV does look promising.

I posted the PV a while back:
Thanks for the info..i would love to watch it........

Deviation

Legendary
Kin
243💸
Kumi
171💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Now I understand why Lokus mentioned something about writing something in his notes in our training. I'll definitely give this one a read. Thanks for the review Cali.