Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Alright. This is partially a refresher for myself as it has been a little while. I looked through my own Yin-Yang training, and a few others, before coming back to this thread and I think I'm good to go.

I want to start with a brief explanation of Yin-Yang symbolism; what is Yin-Yang? And I don't mean in the sense of the NRP. More broadly, what is Yin-Yang in Daosim? The entire story of Naruto is essentially that of Creation of All Things but told in reverse. You don't have to write a whole novel on it, but just give me some of the juicy bits.

And then (and this is where you should put some detail down), go into the mechanics of what Yin and Yang separately are. What they are capable of and what they can do when used in conjunction (Yin-Yang Release).

Priest

Legendary
Kin
3,010💸
Kumi
41,982💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I want to start with a brief explanation of Yin-Yang symbolism; what is Yin-Yang?

Yin-Yang is the combination of Yin and Yang. Yin and Yang are two opposing natures(?), unfortunately one can not be without another, IF the essence of life is to be formed. Yin-yang also depicts balance between yin and yang.

Yin, popularly depicted as the dark between light and dark, Black, Moon, Illusion, imagination is the spiritual side of the two. Anything that has to with the mind from imagining how things would be and creating life itself from imagination.

Yang, popularly depicted as the light between light and dark, White, Sun, Reality, Vitality, Life, is the physical side of the two. Yin creates form from imagination, Yang gives life and physical essence to the life form. Its like creation of life from the beginning.

A shell was created from Nothing -Yin
Life was breathed into the shell to create man - Yang

The existence of both natures is what brings balance to life and nature itself.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Solid response. Nothing necessarily wrong with what you said. But I'll expand. Do you recall the Shakujo that Madara and Obito wielded when they initially became the Ten Tail's Jinchuuriki? If you look carefully, one represents the Sun and the other the Moon. It is carefully chosen imagery to represent Yin-Yang. In Daoism the concept of 'Wuji' represents Nothingness. It is the primordial state of the universe. From nothingness comes "everything," which we refer to as Taiji, the Supreme Ultimate. In Taiji, 'everything' is a state where there is no differentiation. Everything is the same, but there is a 'thing.' Now, after Madara obtains his other Rinnegan from Obito his Shakujo, which originally symbolized Yin, actually just becomes a staff with no difference on either end. It is this staff that represents Taiji. So do you see how the story is told in reverse?

In Daoism, Wuji comes first. And from Wuji, or nothingness, everything emerges - or Taiji, the Supreme Ultimate. Taiji is then separated into Yin and Yang. And from Yin and Yang you have the Bagua - or the 8 Trigrams, which leads to the Creation of All Things. This is how Naruto is told. The villains in the story attempt to reach this 'ultimate power' of Kaguya, which represents nothingness. Kaguya is Wuji, Madara is Taiji (initially he represents Yin, but becomes more as he gains the Yang half of the Kyuubi and his Rinnegan). Nothing represents this better than what Kaguya's ultimate plan is - to turn everyone into a mindless Zetsu clone which has no individual personality. Everyone is the same, which means there is 'nothing.'

Anyways, that's a really bad run down of the symbolism of Yin-Yang in the story. It is very prominent.

So yes, Yin-Yang when used simultaneously gives form to life, and life to form. Can one exist without the other in the RP? Can we have techniques that are 'purely' Yin or Yang?

Priest

Legendary
Kin
3,010💸
Kumi
41,982💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Thanks for the comprehensive note.

No, I don't think they can exist individually though we don't make mention of the other half when describing a jutsu, but they certainly matter when we restrict

For example: Normally, we describe a yang jutsu, making everything about yang. Even though yin is not mentioned, it is present though in minute proportion. We eventually mention yin when it comes to restriction. We restrict our yin usage when we use yang jutsu because we mold very small yin energy when using yang techniques. This means the ratio of yin is minimum though it takes a toll on what we can do with yin while we use or immediately after we use yang techniques.

The same thing can be said for yin techniques.

In our RP, one may have the knowledge of Yin and may have not learned Yang. So IMO, he can draw out more on yin energy thus increase the ratio of yin energy in his chakra.

Yin genjutsu, is this pure yin? Also same question goes for Yin Mode.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No techniques are purely Yin or Yang, that includes Genjutsu augmented through Yin as well as Yin State. If it were the case, then they wouldn't be techniques at all. They just wouldn't function. In some techniques this is more difficult to function than others. You could argue in some form that every Yang technique that grants form to something. So take Ring of Hell for example; the technique grants others additional anatomy. It's shaping the anatomy and the actual material itself that you could say comes from the Yin portion of Ring of Hell, even though it is extremely small.

The original Yin-Yang State technique could only be used by Yin-Yang Masters because it required the user to modify both their Yin and Yang ratio simultaneously, reducing one half to a minimum while also maximizing the other. This was changed of course, and it still makes sense, to where you only need to be a master of one half to make the necessary changes.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
(In'yōton, Onmyōton: Chakra no Sōzō) Yin-Yang Release: Chakra Creation
Type: Supplementary
Range: Short
Chakra: N/A (+300 per turn)
Damage: N/A
Description: A unique ability available only to Yin-Yang masters, Chakra Creation pertains to the ability to focus on ones physical and spiritual energies and draw more from one's essence. This allows the user of the technique to replenish and regenerate a limited amount of chakra. This is done by clapping one's hands and focusing, meditating for a moment.
Note: Must meditate for 1 full turn before ones chakra starts to regenerate

The first Yin-Yang technique. It's pretty obvious how it works, and sets the limit for what you can do to produce chakra through meditation.

Priest

Legendary
Kin
3,010💸
Kumi
41,982💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This removes the need to use medical pills though it would be hard to use this during battle except one has an ally and would not be interrupted. I believe replenishing one's chakra means one cannot go over the cap. Am I wrong?

Can you meditate for more than one turn to gather more chakra or its limited to one turn?

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Medical pills still have a place, that's for sure. They're more on the spot and convenient. And yes, if you go over your chakra limit you're usually dead no matter what. So I'd avoid doing that.

You can meditate as long as you'd like as long as you don't exceed your limit and you're not interrupted, each turn gaining you chakra after the initial waiting period.

Now for its twin:

(In'yōton, Onmyōton: Chakra no Jokyo) Yin-Yang Release: Chakra Removal
Chakra: N/A (-200 per turn)
Description: A unique ability available only to Yin-Yang masters, Chakra Removal pertains to the ability to focus on ones physical and spiritual energies and draw in chakra from those nearby. This allows the user of the technique to drain a limited amount of chakra from opponents. This is done by clapping one's hands and focusing, meditating for a moment. After a full turn, a collective max of 200 chakra is drained from those in the landmark per turn for up to 4 turns each. Should one be touched directly, the user doesn't need to meditate.
Note: Must meditate for 2 full turns before ones chakra starts to drain.

Priest

Legendary
Kin
3,010💸
Kumi
41,982💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Medical pills still have a place, that's for sure. They're more on the spot and convenient. And yes, if you go over your chakra limit you're usually dead no matter what. So I'd avoid doing that.

You can meditate as long as you'd like as long as you don't exceed your limit and you're not interrupted, each turn gaining you chakra after the initial waiting period.

Now for its twin:

(In'yōton, Onmyōton: Chakra no Jokyo) Yin-Yang Release: Chakra Removal
Chakra: N/A (-200 per turn)
Description: A unique ability available only to Yin-Yang masters, Chakra Removal pertains to the ability to focus on ones physical and spiritual energies and draw in chakra from those nearby. This allows the user of the technique to drain a limited amount of chakra from opponents. This is done by clapping one's hands and focusing, meditating for a moment. After a full turn, a collective max of 200 chakra is drained from those in the landmark per turn for up to 4 turns each. Should one be touched directly, the user doesn't need to meditate.
Note: Must meditate for 2 full turns before ones chakra starts to drain.
The part that requires contact actually can be useful during battle or when you knock out your target and want to be assured they won't pose any threat again. However, draining chakra without them even knowing about it is nice. Talking about the one that requires meditation. If there are four on the landmark, would the 200 be shared among them? Meaning 50 each would be drained and deducted. Can this be done with NPCs?

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
What about this technique indicates that they wouldn't be aware of their chakra being drained?

No, you can't use it in NPCs in the Ninja World. Almost no technique, unless otherwise specified, can be used on an NPC to reap some kind of benefit.

Priest

Legendary
Kin
3,010💸
Kumi
41,982💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What about this technique indicates that they wouldn't be aware of their chakra being drained?

No, you can't use it in NPCs in the Ninja World. Almost no technique, unless otherwise specified, can be used on an NPC to reap some kind of benefit.
Was refereeing to NPCs but since it can't be used on them, I'm okay.