LordRaikage

Elite
Kin
54💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Gonna Love How Japan Keeps it REal and Doesn't "Asian" or "White" Wash Ancient Egyptians in Anime like in Yu-gi-oh or in Dragon Ball.

If these Anime were created by America or Europe they would make them white...

You must be registered for see images

A thumps up for Japan

Gj Japan

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
White-washing is a tricky topic to bring up when talking about anime considering the key features of an 'anime' face were purposely made to not have any distinctive ethnicity to begin with.

Animation is great in general for it, both Western and Eastern. It's the film industries that get it wrong. Both Japan and Hollywood have been guilty of this as of late and it's annoying but sadly to be expected.

LordRaikage

Elite
Kin
54💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lol look at this shit:
[video=youtube;IjHgzkQM2Sg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHgzkQM2Sg[/video]

The First Mummy Movies were Comedic so when they "whitewashed" the Mummies....it wasn't that bad it was good....but this time around taking themselves seriously............ain't gonna fly.

Genocide

Banned
Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
or people who are tried of the bullshit...

and how can someone who is alive have no "life"?

tired of what bullshit? how many manga has european characters a ton and did i dont think anyone forced them to write characters as such

Last edited by a moderator:

LordRaikage

Elite
Kin
54💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
White-washing is a tricky topic to bring up when talking about anime considering the key features of an 'anime' face were purposely made to not have any distinctive ethnicity to begin with.

Yu-gi-oh had white-washing? Seemed pretty respectful to me.
No yu-gi-oh didn't that's the point i was making.... they kept it real..

even though in the American version they changed a few things like "Black Magician" to "Dark Magician" why did they do that??
(lol and in the season finally they revealed the "Black Magician" was actually a real dude in the anime....who was...."black"...lol and black magician girl too...was a slave girl)
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
No yu-gi-oh didn't that's the point i was making.... they kept it real..

even though in the American version they changed a few things like "Black Magician" to "Dark Magician" why did they do that??

Thoughts?
Yeah, I misread and edited my OG post haha

Just some things don't translate perfectly I guess, if it doesn't change the meaning of the story then I don't think it matters personally. Some instances white-washing genuinely becomes unnatural and it stems from classic theatre, black-face or the early Hollywood epics where English/American actors played roman centurions. I think we're still outgrowing this today, especially with the odd (sometimes warranted) outrage whenever a fictional character has their identity/gender/race changed. Luckily- anime and animation has never really faced this issue.

Avatar, Xiaolin Showdown & Fate Zero are just some examples.

LordRaikage

Elite
Kin
54💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
tired of what bullshit? how many manga has european characters a ton and did i dont think anyone forced them to write characters as such

Don't Care about that.... nothing wrong with that either....

Just proud of them for not "Asian Washing" or "White Washing" Ancient Egyptians.

LordRaikage

Elite
Kin
54💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah, I misread and edited my OG post haha

Just some things don't translate perfectly I guess, if it doesn't change the meaning of the story then I don't think it matters personally. Some instances white-washing genuinely becomes unnatural and it stems from classic theatre, black-face or the early Hollywood epics where English/American actors played roman centurions. I think we're still outgrowing this today, especially with the odd (sometimes warranted) outrage whenever a fictional character has their identity/gender/race changed. Luckily- anime and animation has never really faced this issue.

Avatar, Xiaolin Showdown & Fate Zero are just some examples.
Yup :D

So youre black, she is black?
So You're White, she is tanned?

k logic.

*man i love that word "Tanned"*

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Another fun note:

Xiaolin Showdown uses Chinese stereotypes like crazy. It also features a Cowboy character from Texas called Clay. Stereotyping and appropriating is A-Okay as long as it's tongue-in-cheek, respectful and equally distributed.

The same applies to Hetalia and Attack on Titan.

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
At least Hollywood casts the odd Rami Malek in a couple Egyptian roles. It's a start.

Just wish it were films like Ben Hur, God of Egypt and Exodus rather than say...Night at the Museum.

LordRaikage

Elite
Kin
54💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well she is from egypt, so not white nor black :axedance:
i guess you can't use her eyes or maybe you never actually seen a real black woman.

At least Hollywood casts the odd Rami Malek in a couple Egyptian roles. It's a start.

Just wish it were films like Ben Hur, God of Egypt and Exodus rather than say...Night at the Museum.
Well he is Talented....

Another fun note:

Xiaolin Showdown uses Chinese stereotypes like crazy. It also features a Cowboy character from Texas called Clay. Stereotyping and appropriating is A-Okay as long as it's tongue-in-cheek, respectful and equally distributed.

The same applies to Hetalia and Attack on Titan.
Lmfao Xiaolin Showdown was too Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.