General Info:

Series Name:
Billy Bat (ビリーバット)
Year of Serialization: 2008
Authors: Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki
Artist: Naoki Urasawa
Genres: Drama, Mystery, Seinen
Current Status: Ongoing
Moment of Reviewing: Chapter 101 (up to date as of now)
Other Formats: ---​

Series Summary:

The series directly hits off with an issue of Kevin Yamagata's Billy Bat comic! Well, issue in the making. Kevin's having a hard time finding a good way to finish his plot without it feeling too cliche. But before he comes to a resolution, an even bigger concern hits him: he may have been unconsciously copying another person's design for his Billy Bat character, somebody who currently lives in Japan. If his father ever encouraged a virtue, it was to never steal from others. Kevin has no clue how his design could have originated from elsewhere, but nonetheless, he travels to Japan seeking permission to use it.

But Kevin doesn't realize the truth to the Bat. He is caught in a string of lies, secrets, murders, and total mystery. All of them leading to an identical source: the same Billy Bat he's been drawing in his comics. Kevin finds himself involved with a supernatural, and possibly divine power that has been around for thousands of years. With the Bat telling him what to write, Kevin draws both the future and the past of known history. What exactly is Billy Bat?

Critical Review:
Naoki Urasawa is definitely one of my favorites when it comes to writing manga. If you know 20th Century Boys, Monster, or Pluto, you know this guy. But I have to say, Billy Bat's plot might be the most mysterious of the bunch. I will say that I'm up to date and still don't know half the truths that are going to unfold. Just when I thought the manga might be entering one of its later arcs, it turns out to be the equivalent of a prologue to the actual story.

If you're new to one of Urasawa's stories, you might be offset by a few things. The pacing isn't going to be nearly as fast as some of the action packed stuff out there. There's plenty of names to remember and a lot of foreshadowing (I'm sure there's a lot that hasn't even showed up yet). Personally I think it's something you're either into or you're not - plain and simple.

As for me, I love this type of thing. One of the main traits Billy Bat has to offer is how it works with history. Billy Bat himself seems interested in the work of the past and the future. Urasawa cites several key people, including: (don't click if you want to get the surprise in manga form)
You must be registered for see images

What really makes it interesting is that they ALL lead directly to Billy Bat. What is he? Some say a god, others the devil... but who is it that mocks the world in the form of a cartoon? These questions make it a fun series for me to read! It's truly a mystery. Honestly I feel pretty stupid half the time when I read it, because I always feel like I might be missing the big picture. I think Urasawa likes overwhelming the reader. He really messes with your mind in the beginning.

This will probably surpass 20th Century Boys for me, if it continues as it is.

Reactions: narutorikudoumode
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have read about all that Naoki Urasawa has made and I will have to say that he is one of the greatest mangakas of all time Monster,20th century boys, and pluto I haven't read this yet because I keep putting it off but now I will try I know I won't be disapointed.

Drakengard

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have read about all that Naoki Urasawa has made and I will have to say that he is one of the greatest mangakas of all time Monster,20th century boys, and pluto I haven't read this yet because I keep putting it off but now I will try I know I won't be disapointed.
Heh well a lot of people seem to like 20th CB or Monster more but I dunno... I think this is pretty good (like I said I think this has the potential to beat them). There's a big plot twist that reminds me of something very similar to 20th CB. But now the wait's gonna kill me since it's ongoing >_>

I've seen some people say they were pretty disappointed from one of Urasawa's works but others say that it's their new favorite. There truly seems to be a gap!

Supermacaquecool

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
XD This review gave me the lols. Tbh, I'm always uncomfortable when a mangaka pulls the this-was-behind-x-historical-event cuz it seems plain stupid to me. But with Billy Bat it seems ridiculously hilarious (in a good sense I guess, I'd need to read it to know...which won't be soon because I'm not willing to wait for another on-going xd The waiting kills me...xd Most of my reads are on-going >.>).

Drakengard

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
XD This review gave me the lols. Tbh, I'm always uncomfortable when a mangaka pulls the this-was-behind-x-historical-event cuz it seems plain stupid to me. But with Billy Bat it seems ridiculously hilarious (in a good sense I guess, I'd need to read it to know...which won't be soon because I'm not willing to wait for another on-going xd The waiting kills me...xd Most of my reads are on-going >.>).
Well some of it's pretty fun/weird ;P
Einstein had a chat with Hitler not too long ago xD