Supreme
Kin
116💸
Kumi
265💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

The January 2018 issue of Kodansha's Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine revealed the results of its third Attack on Titan character popularity poll on Saturday. The poll received a total of 6,624 votes.

Levi received nearly double the number of votes as Erwin in the magazine's second popularity poll for the manga, which published its results in 2015. However, Erwin beat Levi by a large margin in this year's poll. Hange, Eren, and Jean returned from the previous poll to again round out the top five. Similarly, Bertholdt, Mikasa, Armin, Reiner, and Marco again ranked in the second half of the top 10.

The top 25 most popular characters according to the magazine's readers are:

1-Erwin (2,055 votes)
2-Levi (1,316 votes)
3-Hange (677 votes)
4-Eren (613 votes)
5-Jean (287 votes)
6-Bertholdt (tie; 218 votes)
7-Mikasa (tie; 218 votes)
8-Armin (215 votes)
9-Reiner (178 votes)
10-Marco (97 votes)

the rest : 11-25

Annie
Ymir
Historia (Christa)
Petra
Miche
Sasha
Moblit
Nanaba
Kenny
Zeke
Gabi
Conny
Pieck
Porco
Magath

-Punk-

Supreme
Kin
116💸
Kumi
265💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Who are Moblit and Nanaba?
Not it I think is the guy with the ugly nose that was a military police with annie and the other girl, and Nannaba died during the castle arc.

Anyways, Erwin dying really got people feeling for Erwin

Not surprise with the top four, very good characters. Glad my girl Mikasa still out there

Ambivalence

Elite
Kin
1💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Reiner below an empty, one-dimensional character like Mikasa, hah. Though this is before he got all this massive character development.

Erwin is where he belongs - at the #1 spot.

-Punk-

Supreme
Kin
116💸
Kumi
265💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree with Erwin and Levi being top 2, but why is Historia and Annie so low :(
Also Bert and Zeke should switch positions.
I just don't understand the love for Marco, -___- Zeke should be in top 10 no doubt. Historia as wellim surprise people don't get behind her more seeing how great develop she is, Annie is just not really likable by fans.

EZQ

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
IMO, the best character of AoT is Eren. It's one of the only series where the mc is actually a good character.

EZQ

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Eren was far too generic and shounen-ish before the time skip to be called the best in AoT, at least in my opinion.
Well, i completely disagree. In my eyes, he was the opposite of shinen-ish and generic, except for the main aspiration "i'm gonna be hokage"- "i'm gonna kill all the titans".

But with eren we got a completely regular guy. There was no friendship power aspull or things like that, the guy was so imperfect, it made the story so real. He kept up during the whole series.

Plus, that scene where he finally accepts Annie betrayed them and goes on a rampage to kill her is one of the best scenes i've seen in my whole life. The voice actor is damn good.

You must be registered for see medias

min 8:07

EDIT: That scene is good but i mistaked it with this one

I mean, there's no "i have to save people " BS. They guy turns into a complete psycho and starts fighting to get things done. He killed so many innocent people and he would keep doing it. He doesn't really give a damn about humanity, he has a personal deal with titans and he wants to finish it.

Last edited:

Ambivalence

Elite
Kin
1💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well, i completely disagree. In my eyes, he was the opposite of shinen-ish and generic, except for the main aspiration "i'm gonna be hokage"- "i'm gonna kill all the titans".

But with eren we got a completely regular guy. There was no friendship power aspull or things like that, the guy was so imperfect, it made the story so real. He kept up during the whole series.

Plus, that scene where he finally accepts Annie betrayed them and goes on a rampage to kill her is one of the best scenes i've seen in my whole life. The voice actor is damn good.

min 8:07

EDIT: That scene is good but i mistaked it with this one

I mean, there's no "i have to save people " BS. They guy turns into a complete psycho and starts fighting to get things done. He killed so many innocent people and he would keep doing it. He doesn't really give a damn about humanity, he has a personal deal with titans and he wants to finish it.
Screwing up throughout a significant part of the series is a shounen hero forte. You know - they start weak, loud and annoying (Naruto) and then change. Eren fit that trope almost perfectly in early chapters, now he's far from that.

Yeah, not trying to save Annie was a good decision by Eren, however I've heard too much of Kaji Yuki to consider the voice-over good. Look up any of his other VA roles, he's the exact same everywhere. One of the most memed about VA's on MyAnimeList. And I don't see what a voice actor has to do with how a character is written.

Eren is not a complete psycho, Lol. There have been so many times he's done what he's done for Mikasa and Armin, at the very least. And who would decide to randomly punch a titan (smiling one) and get a sudden power-up? That's right, a shounen hero in his early days.

Never a thinker, always rushes battles with a war cry, headstrong, loudmouth without much going for him. Eren was all of that.

EZQ

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Screwing up throughout a significant part of the series is a shounen hero forte. You know - they start weak, loud and annoying (Naruto) and then change. Eren fit that trope almost perfectly in early chapters, now he's far from that.
Yes you're right about this, but i not only meant in power (like starting weak like naruto). I'm talking about continous stupid choices, never being right, not trusting commrades, or trusting them too much, etc.. But i do think that in this specific category he does approach shonen generic characters.

Yeah, not trying to save Annie was a good decision by Eren, however I've heard too much of Kaji Yuki to consider the voice-over good. Look up any of his other VA roles, he's the exact same everywhere. One of the most memed about VA's on MyAnimeList. And I don't see what a voice actor has to do with how a character is written.
Good point. My love for Eren is more of an anime exclusive, since the VA is a huge part of his character.

Eren is not a complete psycho, Lol. There have been so many times he's done what he's done for Mikasa and Armin, at the very least.
Did you just not see him kill hundrers of people? That's definitely VERY far from what a generic shonen MC would do. That's like the opposite of the "protect everyone" shit.
And who would decide to randomly punch a titan (smiling one) and get a sudden power-up? That's right, a shounen hero in his early days.
I don't see this as a part of Eren's personality so to me it doesn't count. He could get infinite power ups but to me what makes a character generic/shonen type is the way he acts.

Never a thinker,
Naruto is a thinker for example. I don't think this is a generic MC trait.
always rushes battles with a war cry, headstrong, loudmouth without much going for him.
Example of the bold? I always saw him as a confidence lacking kid that breaks down when he has to make a big decision. The loudmouth comes from when he was arguing with Jean in the first chapters? Because from that point, he was just a character that kept his mouth shut not being able to say anything on most times.

To me, if eren was closer to a generic MC, he:

-Would have changed his goal "kill all the titans" to "protect everyone"

-That would be reflected in his actions, and he would never reach the point where he actually kills hundreds of people fighting annie

-At some point in the manga, he would stop having mental breakdowns and use some talk no jutsu on his enemies at least, instead of losing his mind everytime he talked to Reiner and Berthold after he discovered the truth

-When being chased by the female titan, he just kept his mouth shut while Annie was crushing anyone who came and tried to help them. And here is where the lack of confidence clearly is showed, when he could just faced annie there, but he decides to leave things to his teammates (which they all died).

I don't say he's the opposite of a generic MC, and if i said it i take it back. But he's not close to it. Generic MCs are normally so nice and have so high morals, that they don't even seem human, while Eren is like the most regular guy you could find: selfish, unconfident and committed to his purpose, and lets his emotions take over every single time (this last trait would be that of a generic MC if his emotions were normal, but almost every time he is just engulfed with rage and thirst for blood, damn, i just re watched season 2 episode 9 when he tells reiner and berthold with an absolute rape face he wants to kill both of them the most painful death he can think of)

Ambivalence

Elite
Kin
1💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Did you just not see him kill hundrers of people? That's definitely VERY far from what a generic shonen MC would do. That's like the opposite of the "protect everyone" shit.
You mean when he transformed in the latest chapter? I'm talking about Eren before the time skip, though, as my original post says.

If Eren was the way he is now throughout the whole series - which he most certainly was not - then I'd agree he would be the best character.

I don't see this as a part of Eren's personality so to me it doesn't count. He could get infinite power ups but to me what makes a character generic/shonen type is the way he acts.
Lol, who on earth tries to punch a titan? That's something a character that likes to act without thinking does. And the power-up, although undoubtedly explained well, just made me think of ''shounen-hero-in a pinch-gets-sudden-powers-and-wins''. Waaay too close to that trope.

Naruto is a thinker for example. I don't think this is a generic MC trait.
What? :lol Forget that the bold sounds hilarious, but no, he wasn't. Again, I'm comparing Eren at the start to how shounen characters start themselves. Naruto was the biggest example of ''strength>tactics''. He didn't gain some battle smarts until Part 2. Eren reminded me a lot of him in early AoT.

Example of the bold?
1. ->
2. ->
3. ->
4. ->

Fail, fail, fail, eventual win. The generic hero's formula.

To me, if eren was closer to a generic MC, he:

-Would have changed his goal "kill all the titans" to "protect everyone"

-That would be reflected in his actions, and he would never reach the point where he actually kills hundreds of people fighting annie

-At some point in the manga, he would stop having mental breakdowns and use some talk no jutsu on his enemies at least, instead of losing his mind everytime he talked to Reiner and Berthold after he discovered the truth

-When being chased by the female titan, he just kept his mouth shut while Annie was crushing anyone who came and tried to help them. And here is where the lack of confidence clearly is showed, when he could just faced annie there, but he decides to leave things to his teammates (which they all died).

I don't say he's the opposite of a generic MC, and if i said it i take it back. But he's not close to it. Generic MCs are normally so nice and have so high morals, that they don't even seem human, while Eren is like the most regular guy you could find: selfish, unconfident and committed to his purpose, and lets his emotions take over every single time (this last trait would be that of a generic MC if his emotions were normal, but almost every time he is just engulfed with rage and thirst for blood, damn, i just re watched season 2 episode 9 when he tells reiner and berthold with an absolute rape face he wants to kill both of them the most painful death he can think of)
Yeah, I get what you're saying. Eren is a middle ground between a typical shounen MC and an actual character without tropes defining him. It comes down to my personal very high dislike of said MC's interfering with my judgement, so I can't view him as the best character, he was far too obnoxious and predictable early on. In my opinion, the best is either Erwin or Reiner, but hey - opinions are subjective, and everybody has one.

EZQ

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You mean when he transformed in the latest chapter? I'm talking about Eren before the time skip, though, as my original post says.

If Eren was the way he is now throughout the whole series - which he most certainly was not - then I'd agree he would be the best character.
No no. I mean when Annie and Eren fight inside wall Sina. They break into multiple building and crush a lot of people.

Lol, who on earth tries to punch a titan? That's something a character that likes to act without thinking does. And the power-up, although undoubtedly explained well, just made me think of ''shounen-hero-in a pinch-gets-sudden-powers-and-wins''. Waaay too close to that trope.
But imo acting without thinking is not a "generic MC" treat

What? :lol Forget that the bold sounds hilarious, but no, he wasn't.
In my eyes, Naruto has always been a thinker. Even in Zabuza arc (the first one) he uses a pretty impressive tactic to save Kakashi from getting killed (that one with Sasuke transforming into a shuriken). Then against Kiba for example, how he tricked him into punch Akamaru. Then against Gaara, Neji, and even before, in the forest of death against some random forest that used genjutsu to attack, he always made a tactic to fight them. He was the "dummy" because he acted like that outside battles, but he was pretty tactical.

Only when he was like really overpowered, he would go KN0 and attack recklessly like against Haku or Kimimaro. Man, not even against Gaara.
Again, I'm comparing Eren at the start to how shounen characters start themselves. Naruto was the biggest example of ''strength>tactics''. He didn't gain some battle smarts until Part 2. Eren reminded me a lot of him in early AoT.
I see what you're going, but i don't agree on comparing him to Naruto inside battles . But they do have in common that "strenght of will" and i do admit that's a generic trait.

1. ->
Agreed with this one. I remember him being a big mouth before their first mission in Trost
2. ->
3. ->
4. ->

Fail, fail, fail, eventual win. The generic hero's formula.
But i disagree with these 3. These are not "big mouth" statements. He was talkin to himself in two of them, and it was more of a reflection of what he was feeling in pure rage. He can't control what he thinks in the moment.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Eren is a middle ground between a typical shounen MC and an actual character without tropes defining him. It comes down to my personal very high dislike of said MC's interfering with my judgement, so I can't view him as the best character, he was far too obnoxious and predictable early on. In my opinion, the best is either Erwin or Reiner, but hey - opinions are subjective, and everybody has one.
Well yeah, agreed. Tho i completely hate reiner, but i guess that says how much of a good character he is, because he is made to be hated. His back story is amazing. And Erwin should have had more time screen, but i love the fact that he wasn't even "strong" in battle and still he was the most important human at some point.

Geezus

Legendary
Kin
1,351💸
Kumi
19,495💴
Trait Points
70⚔️
Character Development wise, Eren has to be one of the Best MC to date. I also think that his personality has been heavily influenced by his Father and the Eren Kruger since he's come to obtain their memories. I think this is also reflected in his physical appearance. He's gotten longer hair and that facial hair which seems very similar to Grisha imo. Even his attitude has seemed to change, as he has come to the conclusion that this battle was inevitable as he told Reiner in this recent chapter.

I can't wait to see how his comrades and the rest of the eldians have evolved after this realization the world is their enemy.

Reactions: SSStylish

SSStylish

Veteran
Kin
93💸
Kumi
2,560💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Erwin, Levi and Eren are my faves so seing them all in the top 5 is quite pleasing. I don't really get why Hange is above my boi Eren though. Him and Reiner are beyond a doubt better characters than Hange. Oh well, at least the japanese readers don't have this irrational hatred for Eren that westerners have. He's the first shounen MC to be my fave out of the entire cast.