Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
i am now. music helped me drastically honestly also with dealing with rejection. like i was scared to sing infront of anyone and would just sing in the shower or at home when nobody was really around growing up. i really liked doing it and i was scared someone would tell me i sucked. but it was the opposite, my mom heard me and said i had a beautiful voice, then my friends when i was singing to a song in a car. one "friend" was like a secret hater and was mocking me one day and it hurt my feelings. but it made me look for ways to get better

then songwriting, once i got good at guitar and started understanding how to arrange different parts. i was so scared of showing people my songs i recorded on garageband, so i showed my mom and sister first. they would tell me what was bad and it hurt my feelings because i thought it was really good at the time. but again it made me look for ways to get better and it got better, so i started seeking out criticism. doesnt mean my feelings didnt get hurt when people didnt agree with me or like it as much as i did but i learned how to manage them. mostly because i would ask people what they thought, then if it wasnt what i expected, id get all in my feelings but i wanted people to be honest with me, so i had to learn how to deal with it. also i started seeing that they didnt really have the answers. like one person would say the guitar needs work, someone else would say they love the guitar, someone would say my voice doesnt have enough feeling, someone else would say my voice sounds great, etc. which made me less invested in what people said

then after a while i got so good at songwriting and performing them. 95% of people didnt really know what to say to me, so it would be bullshit mostly that came down too, "idk why i do or dont like it or how to explain it to you, i just do or dont". after a while people stop having advice and you have to trust yourself purely. its a lot easier to deal with that type of criticism than a specific thing when i was amateur because its clear they dont know what theyre talking about unless its another music artist i respected. its pretty much the same now at the professional level but critics -do- know how to explain why they dont like it, even if it has nothing to do with like the technical aspect of a song. but the road to getting to this level, im less invested in others opinions of my work or me

Reactions: Chikombo