Kin
-2💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images
Introduction
Just your normal RPer here, and I really do enjoy it. Been at it for quite some time, a writer as well. I wrote this over two months ago, and some of you may or may not have read this, but I figured that everyone would benefit from it greatly, so I received permission to post this.
The point of RP is not about winning or losing, please remember this. It is to have fun, for everyone. I mean, it's not like we benefit out of this in real life or such, so when RPing, remember to relax, enjoy, and keep the arguments to a minimum. Thanks guys!

So, we battle every day. We're shinobi fighting for our lives in many different areas, protecting or fighting for what we see fit. However, often times in our battles, we are missing details, counters, attacks that lack major description and imagery which leads to most of the arguments we have now.
Personally, when I battle, I have a sheet of paper out before me, and I draw out the situation to make sure I am not missing any details. When I am done planning my move, I usually have a lot of extra notes on it.
So, now, I want to present to you several terms that may help you. My personal guide on battle RPing, a huge standard of aspects in battle that I go over every time I'm engaged in a fight. For serious conditions, of course.

Table of Contents

♪ Environment.
♪ Field of Vision.
♪ Positioning.
♪ Sound.

♪ Jutsus.
♪ Handseals.
♪ Range.
♪ Freeform.

♪ Emotions.
♪ Cause and Effect.
♪ Reasoning.

Environment
The place one is currently in, whether it be a lake, a forest, or even a beach.

While it is stated in most battles, not every one of them utilize their surroundings to the greatest impact. During fights, it is extremely vital to know where you are currently fighting, because there is a high possibility of using this to your advantage.
Especially in Kekkei Genkeis, such as Wood or Ice, that are able to transform the surroundings, this can be extremely vital in many ways.

Firstly, let us speak about the ground. If you are fighting on flat grounds without grass, it is then possible for you to use sand or dust to your advantage.
Now, many of you may have learned the Wind or Earth jutsus that are usually accommodated with such a factor, however, there is no need to use actual chakra.
By simply kicking the ground, you can cause dust to rise up and potentially hinder your opponent - running, doing any rash action upon it will cause the dust to rise up. This can then block their vision of you, or if they attempt to get into close range of you, then the dust could also harm their eyesight.
Also, if fighting on a beach, you can bend down and pick up some dust in your hands, tossing it at your opponent - there are many things you can do.

Secondly, think about the weather. Are there clouds in the sky? Is it completely sunny blue? This could affect the usages of certain jutsus that require stormy weather or clouds, much like Kirin or Rain Tiger at Will. They could speed up the jutsu timing, or even expand the duration and range.
And is it cold? Hot? Raining? Windy?
If it is raining, it could potentially hinder your fire jutsus, if it is too hot, fire could be strengthened, if too cold, ice can be formed easily, and water could turn into ice.
Wind is also a major aspect - the law of gravity, states, without Wind resistance, objects drop at a speed of approximately 9.8 meters per second, but with Wind resistance this can change to either the direction changing or even faster or slower descending. If you throw a kunai with an explosive tag and the Wind is extremely heavy, it could backfire on you. At the same time, you can use this to your advantage too, so keep in mind how windy the weather may be during battle.
I could go on and on but I hope you understand the gist of it.

Furthermore, think about tight spaces. A Wood jutsu, the Forest Emergence one, can force opponents into tight spaces while you can easily set the entire forest on Fire, potentially killing them. An Earth jutsu that creates a dome around the opponent, forcing them in a small space, can also enforce the power of high, pressurized jutsus because the molecules of whatever it is have no place to escape to.

Lastly, I would like to speak of one more important term that some of you may have learned when I trained you. This is called zoning, a term that I borrowed from the game I frequently used to play, League of Legends.
Zoning, in League of Legends, means that when you have an advantage over the opponent, you control your character on the map in such a way so that you deny the chance to allow them to take their advantage back over you. They can't get near for gold or experience (people who play RPGs often should understand this) while you continue to get stronger and stronger.
In the same way, zoning can also apply to environments. By controlling it properly, you can deny your enemy from using a particular large arsenal of jutsu.
A huge scale move that covers the entire ground, much like Antlion will force the enemy off the ground, and prevent them from using moves that require usage of the ground.
A move like Lightning Fang, which comes from the sky, would prevent the enemy from using moves that require jumping into the air or the general sky.
A jutsu that completely shields you or the area around you, like Peacock Whirling Foundation, would prevent the opponent from getting near you, denying most Taijutsu attacks.

Field of Vision
Where one is looking at all times, up to the peripheral view of their vision.

As humans, we get most of our information from our eyes. I am assuming that if I ask most of you whether you want to be blind or deaf, you'd rather be deaf.
It's important, in the same way, to know the limits of our own field of vision and also the enemy's.

Knowing where the enemy is looking at at all times is extremely, extremely vital. This can tell us the aim of his next jutsu, or even where he is planning to do with his next jutsu. Surely, if one were to toss a kunai at me, they would want to be sure to focus their eyes on the area they want it to strike.
This is also vastly vital to remember against Doujutsu users - people who possess Sharingan can cast you under a Genjutsu with just a simple gaze, so you would need to state where your eyes are rested on at all times. Against Byakugan users, they have a 360 vision, and the only spot where you would be able to surprise and strike them at would be the area behind their neck. If you are locked up against them in close range, keep a wary eye on their field of vision at all times.

While also realizing this information, you can also use it to your advantage. You know they are looking one way, so strike them from the other. You can draw people's attention through many sorts of moves, including that certain C-Rank Earth jutsu that creates distraction, or much like what Shikamaru did, attract Temari to the floating kunai in the air with the parachute.
You can also completely block their field of vision, such as what I did in one of battles:
While this is happening, my two haze clones that have been running to the side join the fireballs, so that they flank either side of it. They also draw out two kunais, one for both hands (all fake, but of course, you don't know this), and are charging at Sora along with the fireballs, sort of like an onslaught of a small army. The fireballs itself should be at least one meter wide and take up Sora's entire peripheral view.
Note what I did here, completely blocking his entire vision, from left to right. Sora would have been focused on the fireballs to defend it, while you could be cooking up an entire other jutsu behind it that they would not know about.
And, if you aim a jutsu upwards, your opponent would want to look up to make sure they can defend against it - knowing this, you can then strike them with another attack that could be aimed from the ground or even their leg.
Furthermore, certain Taijutsu moves allow you to strike an opponent into the air - they would be easily seen during their flight, a simple target for you to finish off.

Lastly, let's focus on your field of vision during battle. Normally, without some kind of Doujutsu, our gaze is a good 180 degree in front of us. That's a lot, however, we can only focus on so many things at once.
There are ways to increase such an advantage during battle, one of my favorites being creating an Earth pillar. The higher you are, the better view you have of the battlefield - if you have a summon that can fly in the air with you sitting upon it, that's great. You can then have an entire bird's eye view of the fight.
It is also possible for you to create a Shadow Clone, which relates information to you at all times. Remember what Kakashi did in the manga? When asked how to create a Rasengan by Naruto, he made a clone that looked left, while he looked right, accomplishing two things at once. This is just one of the many things Shadow Clones can do during fights.

Sound
The second important way we gather information, basically, the vibration of objects and jutsus in the air upon which our ears then interpret the knowledge. Often times, sound can also be tied into sense of touch.

Sound is just as vital as field of vision and an important sense that we possess as well. While blind, we can use sound and vibrations in the air to our advantage. Remember when Kakashi and Gai were fighting the Seven Swordsmen and Kakashi's eyes were blinded? He still fought just as well, relying on his hearing in an amazing manner.

There is a good jutsu in Ninjutsu A-Rank, called Hiding in Camouflage, which basically allows the user to alter the light around them so that they seem to blend with their surroundings. However, unless you are the second Tsuchikage, you can't completely hide your movements.
It is important to use sound in two main ways. The first would be to mask your moves in a quiet manner, especially in situations where you force your opponent to use this sense, such as Hidden Mist or just a simple smoke bomb. Their entire attention would be drawn to the sound of your movements, so it is vital to state you are being quiet with your moves in these moments. Two jutsus that especially require this would be Shadow Makibishi, where you place out Makibishis on the ground when your opponent's vision is obstructed by smoke and the second would be Genjutsu technique of Bringer of Darkness, which only targets the vision.

The second concept may seem similar to the first, but this time, you are not forcing your enemy into a situation where they will be forced to rely on the sound - in fact, you are drawing their entire sense of sound while they could be focusing on other senses as well.
This is normally called a distraction, however, this is more specifically targeted to sound. When you hear people call your name, you no doubt turn around to look at who called you. Enemies react in just the same way.
Rasenshuriken, when used in the manga, created a large, slicing sound, and while it made the jutsu easily seen and rather obvious, it also attracted the attention of Kakuzu when Naruto used it against him.
Another move such as the C-Rank, Thunder-Up, can also create loud sounds, and by doing this, you draw your enemy's attention to it while you can plan another move, and potentially hide the loudness of your next jutsu too.

Positioning
The current placing of your entire body in regards to the environments.

Positioning is important, and especially emphasized on during freeform fights. Positioning ties in many things at once, including body weight, stability, and in advanced Taijutsu or Kenjutsu, stances also often come into play.
Believe it or not though, positioning can also help you greatly in any normal fight, and I will continue to emphasize on this aspect.

Stances help you re-adjust in such a way so you can react to attacks properly. In Kenjutsu, stances can allow you to easily strike or parry a slash, and in Taijutsu, you are able to maneuver your moves smoothly and tie them together.
I won't go into detail about the many different stances, but will go over the basic ones that can help you the most in battle.
Firstly, you have the ready stance - by shifting your body weight downwards, it can allow you to smooth out the power that your enemy is releasing. Bend both your knees just slightly while simultaneously keeping the feet just a bit apart, with equal distance between one another. For example, if your enemy sent out a huge bullet of Wind and you used a shield of Earth to block it, you would no doubt be sent back a couple of feet by the force of the Wind. You can slow this down by implanting your body weight into the ground with your stance.
Also, because both of your feet are in the same position, you can easily side step or go into any move you wish, even turning the aim of your jutsu easily.
Secondly, there is the frontal stance - by shifting your dominant feet in front of your other one and balancing 60% of your body weight frontwards while adjusting the other 40% in the back with a foot facing to the side in a 45 degree angle. This is a more offensive stance and if your enemy is running at you directly with a punch or a Kenjutsu slash to your chest, you can absorb the power because all your body weight is shifted mainly frontwards while the back half can still support you. You can then transition into another attack.
Lastly, there is the defensive stance - by shifting your dominant feet forwards while pointing your other feet in a 90 degree angle to side to create a sort of "L", you make your body face more towards to the side and make yourself a smaller target to the opponent. And also, because most of your body weight is emphasized on your hind leg with the support of the ground (Newton's third law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction), you can defend against many moves in this manner, however, keep in mind that you won't be propelled backwards like the ready stance.

I talked about body weight in stances, but I will emphasize on this now. This is basically what it sounds like, your body weight. It's what helps your attacks and defenses greatly and using it properly can be extremely beneficial, but also risky.
For example, if you decided to charge at your opponent with your entire body weight, much like a slam, you have a great power behind your move, however, if you miss, the momentum would send you forwards and you will be unable to control your speed and direction for a duration, which could be disastrous.
Body weight also includes objects that your opponent may be holding at the moment - a heavy two-handed sword could potentially slow their attacks greatly, but with more power behind it. The law behind this is generally, force = mass x acceleration.
I can't cover everything about body weight because there are countless aspects of it during battle, but just keep in mind the size of your opponent, the weapons they hold, and also your own body weight and how it could benefit a move you may be attacking or defending with.

Momentum. Much like the example I gave earlier of how missing a body slam could be dangerous, momentum could also be helpful in battle.
According to Newton's first law of inertia, an object at rest stays at rest, and an object in motion stays in motion in a straight line. The only thing that can change either situation is the action of an unbalanced force on the object, or friction in the air.
You take with you your body weight and all the speed with you when using momentum - this can be done in many ways, such as falling from the sky towards the ground, or just simply running. Flipping towards your opponent can also help you increase the power of your moves.

Side stepping was an interesting concept I noticed after the Custom Jutsu of something like "flip" was created. I've seen it used in many ways, and while our rules state that it is necessary to explain how you defend against a move, often times, side stepping could be a creative and easy way to do so.
The best example of this would be something I saw recently while reading Battle Tests late at night. In between the battle of KeotsuEclipse and Scorps (which, by the way, is an amazing sensei test of the higher tier), I noticed how Scorps used this concept:
As I turn invisible, through the use of my Byakugan I can notice the approaching wide spread of wind blades. As I focus chakra into my whole body, I take advantage of my inherent agility and flexibility to pull out the impossible. In a very "matrix" like motion, I spin, using a known movement but executed with the sole purpose of avoiding the wind blades. I take a lower stance while rotating, letting one of the wind blades pass above me with a few inches only to spare, while jumping in a spring like motion while rotating and kicking the air to avoid a lower wind blade. What I do is basically use a Taijutsu move to move in such a way that I can avoid being hit by the wind blades and remain invisible. This is done in a fluid movement by taking advantage of the fact that the wind blades are thin and small while dense and fast and that as a Hyuuga I'm faster in terms of agility and fluid body movement than normal ninjas.
He used Leaf Strong Whirlwind, a B-Rank Taijutsu, to defend against the S-Rank Wind move, Serial Waves.
Side stepping can allow you to avoid small, aimed attacks, as your entire position is changed, but can also alter the aim and direction of your jutsus.

Lastly, I would like to talk about using chakra in such situations.
Recently, I've taken two Kaguya Battle Tests, and I put myself in a condition where I am using a Shikamaru Nara bio against a Kaguya bio. Now, I'm sure you've read the manga, but Shikamaru has literally no Taijutsu prowess, and I wished to stay in character (unfortunately, had to use a Genjutsu in the beginning to gauge the person's knowledge on the Kaguya) so I only had basic Ninjutsu, Kagemane, and my own wits with Taijutsu at hand.
Kaguyas are known for using Taijutsu well and their advantage in close range is absolutely tremendous. Because of this fact, I made sure to charge chakra into my feet at all times during the battle.
By doing so, one can enhance their speed and power of the moves - and this allowed me to easily defend against and justify my escape from such an attack:
However, I felt the knee start vibrating with chakra, and with a slight guess of what was going to happen, I immediately flung my right leg (as it was free) against Saruhiko's knee, using the momentum and body weight to propel me backwards several meters before sharp bones erupted out of it, barely missing me in the process. (I had also charged chakra in my feet earlier to make the process faster and stronger.)
But one more important concept of this. Charging chakra into your feet also helps keep you in balance, and against such moves like World Shaking, a C-Rank Earth jutsu, you can avoid being thrown off balance (a whole different concept that I can talk about, not too important but if you can toss your enemy off balance, you basically have them lose control of their body weight for a short duration of time, in which then they are extremely vulnerable) and also helps keep your stances.
You can also charge chakra into your hands to enhance the power of your moves in general, or even when you're flipping on the ground.

Jutsus
The techniques a shinobi use during battles to help advance an aim or goal.

We learn jutsus from senseis and we use them during battles to help us greatly. I won't go into the ranking of jutsus and how they work, as you should be taught that in your basic five lessons. However, jutsus aren't just simply posting a technique and moving on, there are many aspects that I would like to emphasize upon.

Firstly, the current rules allow a maximum of three jutsus to be used during battle. Whenever battling, don't just think about spamming three moves and moving on, note that every single jutsu you use takes up a slot, and that is extremely vital.
When I teach Genjutsu, I ask how people would escape from a jutsu if they are completely immobilized. Many say Nagashi, but that may not always be the best way to go. You can simply bite off a chunk of your lip, and you would still have three jutsu slots to play with.
Don't ever take a jutsu lightly. If you can do more things with one technique, why not? If your opponent uses a C-Rank Wind, why not use a B-Rank fire that can allow you to defend against it, yet send it back to your opponent? This is an attack and defense in one move, and can potentially give you more to do with the time frame you have.
The jutsus have labels that most people do not pay attention to and one of them is the type of jutsu it is. Is it supplementary, defensive, offensive, or even personally beneficial?
With such knowledge, one can create openings and control the flow of the battle easily.

Secondly, what about the timing of jutsus?
I will discuss a major part of this in the next section, but you must always keep in mind the timing it takes for a jutsu to activated. This is vital especially against moves such as Kirin, which requires stormy clouds to build up in order to work.
Also, when defending against certain moves, this comes into play. If your opponent releases quick moving bullets of water at you, yet you create an Earth wall that takes time to build up, then the bullets will strike you before you can properly defend yourself.
The best way to gauge this is to use your common sense. I am sure most of you have that...at least...

Lastly, where do you aim your attacks?
The first Ninjutsu technique requires you to toss a huge shuriken at your opponent while hiding the second one in the shadow of the first. I ask many students to perform that, but they give me the vague description of:
I then throw it at your clone.
But...WHERE?! Do you throw it at the head, in order to incapacitate it? Do you aim it at the left side of the chest, for the heart for an instant kill? Or do you toss it at the legs in order to disable their movements? This type of detail is a must if you perform Taijutsu or Kenjutsu.
This was the main issue I saw in a current, majorly argued fight, McRazor VS Xanthe. His move was:
As you enter mid range from me, I perform a quick and fluid string of two handseals in order to trap you in a genjutsu where you see an earth cube appearing around you and completely restricting your movements. The cube materializes in an instant (since it's maximum form of 100m3 needs a few seconds this one needs 30x less time to materialize) and has a volume of 3m3, with you being in the center of it. To you, it seems like I performed the two handseals in order to create the cube and restrict your movements, while in reality the cube is made of water and any attempt of breaking out of it with the use of lightning techniques would be deadly for you. Immediately as the cube forms I perform one more handseal and release a spear of lightning towards the cube, aimed at your heart. As the lightning gets in contact with the water it electrocutes it before piercing through your heart.
The jutsu used was:
Type: Supplementary/Defensive
Range: Short-Long
Chakra: 40
Damage: N/A
Description:
With 2 simple hand seals (Snake + Ram), the user will materialize water within range of the technique, using the moisture all around the field and his chakra as a fuel. The water can be shaped into any given solid construct the user desires (like cubes, spheres, walls, etc) or kept as a raw body of water. The amount of water the user can produce is, at its best, about 10 000 liters of water (give or take a cube of about 100m3). However, the speed as which the water forms is always the same, taking a couple of seconds to materialize its maximum volume. The user has some control over the water while its materializing and once it materializes, but he can never generate enough momentum or compress it enough to actually do any harm to any enemy, even when he gives it a specific shape.

Note: Can only be taught by Scorps
Note2: Doesn't require a water source and can be used as one
Note3: Usable only thrice
Note4: In the same turn the user can't use techniques above S-Rank

It's a great jutsu, however, when he used it, he failed to state how he aimed and impacted it on Xanthe, resulting in a huge argument.
Notice that the jutsu states that it takes a couple of seconds to materialize to its maximum volume. However, when affecting Xanthe with it, did he start by creating a small cube around him and then expand out, or did he start with the outside, causing four of walls to expand in?
This lack of detail led to the huge argument and headache that Scorps was left to deal with.

Handseals
Many jutsus require handseals in order to work - the handseals weave our chakra in the appropriate manner for the technique.

Handseals are a must. There are a total of 12 handseals, all named after the Chinese Zodiac animals. We learn them in training, and I assure you that whoever taught you a jutsu that required hanseals, you were told to form the handseals first and then perform the technique. However, have you placed any thought into the handseals you performed? I shall discuss this now.

You may or may have not have heard of this, but whenever you attain a certain amount of mastery over a jutsu, you are able to use it with only one handseal. This is a specialty included in many bios nowadays, that wasn't here when I was around back then.
Much like the jutsu Water Dragon Technique, which requires 44 handseals, Tobirama Senju only needed one handseal to use it. Chidori, which normally requires 11 handseals, can be used with only the Ox handseal if mastered.
But why does this matter? Of course it does!
It all ties into the aspect of timing. If you have a jutsu that requires two handseals, but your opponents' required five, then you are able to release yours' first. This can be a significant advantage as you can transition into your next move more quickly.

Range
The distance you and your opponent stand from one another.

There are three main ranges, stated on almost every jutsu. These are short, mid, and long range, and from what I know, this varies from 0-5 meters, 6-15 meters, and 15+ meters. Ranges greatly affect the power and timing of a jutsu, and even if it reaches the opponent.

The most common issue in new RPers is the range. They forget to glance at how far their jutsu could reach, and often times use a short range jutsu when their opponent is in long range.
Keep in mind the range whenever using a jutsu, because your attacks may not even reach your opponent.

While not every description is logical, there is a huge aspect that comes into play when determining range. Remember what I said about momentum earlier and Newton's law of inertia? If I release a fireball from my mouth after pressurizing it, and my enemy was at close range, he would no doubt feel the full impact of the jutsu because it hasn't been slowed down or affected by the friction.
In the same manner, most jutsus are weakened the further they travel. Kunais and shurikens tossed at chest level would eventually descend towards the ground and drop upon it if they don't hit a target.

Lastly, range is a huge factor in timing. The farther you are away from your opponent, the longer it takes for the jutsu to reach them. This can greatly affect where you may aim it at, because your enemy can take the time to escape from it and can also be alerted to it beforehand.
This is also why Taijutsu is so scary - when you and your opponent are locked into close combat, attacks are instantaneous, swift, and powerful. You would need amazing reaction time and good logical comebacks in Taijutsu fights, especially in freeform.

Freeform
Moves or attacks in a battle that don't require a jutsu slot.

I enjoy freeform a lot. I incorporate it into many of my fights, and there are so many ways of utilizing freeform. It allows for creativity, but also, a lot of hidden aspects that many people don't think about. Most of you may only know this term from Taijutsu or Kenjutsu fights, however, this can be incorporated in normal fights too.

The first type of freeform is something I teach all my Ninjutsu students. This is basically ninja tools, and I go over the four basics, which is the Kunai, Shuriken, Flash Bomb, and Smoke Bomb. There are no restrictions regarding the use of these, so I inform students to use these as logically and creatively as possible.
Using flash bombs and smoke bombs can help you hide your jutsus and incorporate many of the aspects I talked about earlier. For example, I would create a Shadow Clone and hide it underground under the cover of a smoke bomb while having that clone sense all the movements from above, and your opponent would never move (unless they godmode, but where is the fun in that?).
In the same way, kunais and shurikens can be used as normal attacks. By simply tossing one at your opponent, you would force them to defend against it while you take advantage of their slower time frame by starting a jutsu. Explosive tags create sound, and distract your opponent, and my personal favorite, the makibishi, can be scattered upon the ground to zone an opponent.
I am quite the fan of Shikamaru, so I can't deny my liking of such tools.

The second type of freeform is more common, and this is a huge part of Taijutsu and Kenjutsu basically. Stances, attacks, body weight - all these come into play whenever in Taijutsu and Kenjutsu.
My favorite freeform is using the chakra blades I have in my Shikamaru Nara bio. In one of my current Kaguya tests, my opponent used three jutsus, but I was able to defend all of them just by simple wit and the usage of chakra blades. No jutsus were used in such situations.
The example of kicking dust earlier also comes into play - anything that is logical and can help contribute to the battle can be considered freeform. The limit of such things is but only your own imagination.
However, keep in mind, never to godmode in freeform Taijutsu. You can't base attacks off of the fact that you have already killed your opponent or sliced off a hand. Only assume...after all, no one ever admits defeat these days.
By the way, if you want to read AMAZING, and I mean amazing freeform, here is a link to one of the greatest freeform RPers I have ever seen:

Emotions
In battles, we fight for a purpose or reason, and this is often accommodated with our feelings, which can serve as both beneficial or even harmful.

This is a subject many people fail to touch upon. They may RP on it a bit in their dialogue, however, very few people take into account psychological reactions during battle. But in a real battle, as many of you have seen in Naruto, emotions play a huge part in winning or losing. Naruto's motivation or desperation led him to win many unlikely fights, and Nagato's change of heart in the heat of battle contributed to his loss over Konoha.

We all feel things during fights. No matter how hard this may be to imagine as we type out our moves in front of a computer screen with a good cup of coffee (like me right now), RPing always include feelings. Desperation leads to rasher, yet less logical moves. Motivation from a friend can strengthen or even enhance moves.
While this may not be possible to incorporate into our battles, a certain art that relies heavily on this does.
Genjutsu is usually based off of either fear or stress, which both can hinder the body greatly. Just imagine if you were trapped inside a room with a murderer, with your death drawing closer every second. Would you be able to move? Would you be able to react? Chances are, you would be shivering to death, unable to thinking logically, your adrenaline rushing uncontrollably through your body.
And what if you kept walking in circles and circles, unable to get out of the environmental illusion? This leads to exhaustion, which greatly slows and weakens all your moves. And not only does Genjutsu have this effect, but strong uses of jutsu, like forbidden ones, or even the drawback of Eight Gates, can do this.
Surprise? A jutsu pops up in front of us, and we feel shock as adrenaline is pumped through us, triggering the run or fight effect. Does this not make us vulnerable in that timeframe?
Also, fire. Once, I was trapped in a burning building when I was young. Although I was nowhere near the actual flames, just the heat and intensity of it was enough to scare me to death. We act like lightning or fire have no such effects when they draw near us.

But there is also pain. Pain is the strongest emotion of all. There is a reason why many people these days cut themselves in order to release them from emotional pain, and why I punch walls when I'm extremely angry or depressed.
The known factor that pain releases us from Genjutsu, but many don't know how and why. It is because pain overcomes all other feelings, and it has been proven, in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, that with pain, we are unable to do anything else but feel and live it.
Pain works against moves like Killing Intent or anything that inflicts emotion. By taking a kunai, charging it with fire chakra, and targeting a non-vital area to strike it with, you can release yourself from such psychological effects.

Cause and Effect
Using an attack in order to trigger a predictable one.

This is a concept I teach most of my students, and a huge part in battles. It is not only in RPing, but in almost every game out there - it is the battle of the mind, the psychological warfare, and how you win your battles. Chess, Starcraft II, League of Legends...all of these are about outplaying your opponent. It is the battle of the mind.

To further emphasize on this concept, I'd like to start with the most basic Genjutsu, the environmental altering one. Now, many people don't use it because it's D-Rank and predictable, however, it introduces this very important concept.
If I changed the surroundings around you without you noticing it, forcing you in an environment where a huge wave of water is coming at you, you would most likely defend with a wall of earth.
However, the wave of water, in reality, is not a wave of water. It's a Lightning jutsu. In this very case then, you would have killed yourself by not setting up the proper defenses.
This is the elemental effect of cause and effect, the one I use the most often. In one of my old battle tests, I set up a huge, wide-range A-Rank fire jutsu.
My reasoning for this was:
As for the move I just posted, he used a wind against me which I easily countered with fire. I sent a wall of fire at him, long enough so that it basically even covers up his peripheral view.
In any normal case, someone would use a large scale of a water move to nullify this, which is only logical, because it would also destroy the "clones" running at him, so basically, a free offensive move that repels more than one of my actions. However, to nullify this as I purposely intended for him to use such a move, I created an earth rampart, close to the mid to long range border.
With a force of a huge water wave (considering he uses one close to the one that Kisame used against Gai, but directly in front of him), it would hit the earth rampart, AND BOUNCE BACK, due to the pressure applied when creating the wave. Because we are also at mid range, it would easily be countered back at him.
Considering it also does bounce back, I've created a Lightning Jutsu beforehand, sending it down while controlling it with my palm (as this is a Kakashi-central technique) and plan on discharging it completely into the water, basically giving the water an electrical essence and destroying any defensive techniques he would use (most likely earth) to prevent this.
I took into account two aspects, which is the high possibly of him using water to defend against this move, and I set up an earth pillar and a Lightning jutsu in order to counter this.
It is not as hard as it sounds - just take into thought all the most used jutsus and their counters. Then, counter those counters.

Reasoning
Using what one knows about the jutsus and attacks used to come up with a logical counterattack.

I find this extremely important in defending against Genjutsu, but also for justifying many of the attacks that may or may not seem possible. Not everything follows guidelines, sometimes, when things seem impossible, it is when many of the mods or senseis are deemed to use their logical thinking and rational thoughts.

My first example of reasoning is in using it to justify a counterattack in Genjutsu. In fact, many of us use it whenever defending against Genjutsus - Genjutsus are meant to be sneaky and sudden, however, by deciphering and knowing we are in a Genjutsu, we can get out of it.
Let's take into account the B-Rank Genjutsu, Crushing Snake Constriction. It was used on me recently in a spar:
"Greetings, sir," my opponent spoke. His voice struck me as someone reserved, yet awfully deadly, and it didn't fail to leave me with chills running down my spine. "And we are...?"
"And we are...?" I repeated his words in a toneless voice, not quite registering what he had said or what he had implied within them. All I felt was something creeping around me, and with a shock of realization, I saw a snake began winding its body around me in an aggressive manner.
Several things flashed through my mind at once, the first being that I knew no one but Orochimaru and Kabuto, who had possession of snakes. Secondly, this opponent had never seemed to summon anything before the battle even began...
It was no doubt an illusion, one that was beginning to take hold fast.
I quickly bit off a good chunk of my outer lip, hard enough so that the taste of bitter blood flowed into my mouth. As I grimaced in collective pain, I realized that I had been freed from the illusion, but the danger was not over any time soon.
Do you notice what I did there? I reasoned, one, that my opponents did not summon any snakes before the fight started, and two, that mostly only Orochimaru and Kabuto could have summoned a snake.
Most Genjutsus play on the mind, and there will always be some kind of flaw to them, so if you want to avoid arguments and make good defenses against them, I highly suggest backing it up with reasoning.

Reasoning basically is your judge. Is that right or wrong? Is that possible or not possible? It is mainly based off experience and what we've seen before, so in whatever you do, make sure that you have reasoned beforehand to avoid arguments.
Of course, that B-Rank Earth Wall is supposed to block against that B-Rank Wind attack, however, the Wind attack was extremely pressurized, and aimed for the weak areas of the wall, breaking through it effectively.
And with that, I shall leave the rest of it in your good hands.

Conclusion
Well...I hope that this will help many of you improve your RP prowess.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.