[Suggestion] Any consideration of making an official Animebase Discord (while updating them with video links, similar to NB)?

Ensifer

Veteran
Kin
145💸
Kumi
412💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hello there,

I recently came back to this site and also paid for membership due to wanting to involve myself again with the community like back then in 2015, and unfortunately stumbled upon the activity issue that seems to be persisting throughout.

Even though I personally don't like it myself, would it be considered a good idea to invest into making an official (and Nitro boosted) Discord server for Animebase? I know due to past legal reasons, Naruto/Boruto episodes can't be posted here anymore, but wouldn't it be an interesting idea if they were instead posted through the hypothetical Discord server instead (like having a channel dedicated to it)? This way the issue could be avoided with not having it directly being published on this site.

It would also give a bit of exposure to here again if carefully applied, putting more emphasis on the discussion for anime, manga and the off-topics rather than pointlessly spamming memes or "funny thing of the day" like most of the servers, especially now that is a thing and advertising could be done for the site from there.

I truly feel like with the way it is right now, there would be persistent issues with bringing in new members to the forum, rather than attempting to retaining the old ones that long have left. For me, I would love to have a community to chat with again about recent releases and whatever is going on in the anime/manga industry.

But as I said, it is just a personal recommendation based on my own experience (since I used to do the same with communities for World of Warcraft, and wrestling forums).

Lady Coffee

Kin
716💸
Kumi
54💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That would be lovely but animebase had tie up with jas discord server it failed horribly.

I dont think discord is really solution to the problem here atm. I saw most of the activity of forum declining when discord was around.

Ensifer

Veteran
Kin
145💸
Kumi
412💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That would be lovely but animebase had tie up with jas discord server it failed horribly.

I dont think discord is really solution to the problem here atm. I saw most of the activity of forum declining when discord was around.
I've seen the previous one before, the problem was the structure and how loose it was compared to how much it was putting emphasis on the site (or lack thereof).

I truly believe with the right direction in how it would be handled, it could prove instrumental to advertising for the site. Make it a small extension of AnimeBase (enough to be able to use it as a means to give new members a taste of it), but not enough make all chatter revolve around it like the previous attempt.

Reactions: Lady Coffee

Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,027💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is a bad idea.

1- Discord is a superior means of communication than Forums. This means people will use discord more than forums and the forum activity will reduce.

2-Discussion can happen on the forums. This discussion will increase forum activity. Why is a second means of discussion required? It will only divide the community between pro forums and pro discord camps. This has already happened with the NBRP community here. lol

3- Discord is bad for advertising. This is because Discord is closed in nature. If you make a server you need to make an account to access it. A guest cannot access it. This means advertising is much more difficult as people who do not have an account on discord will never know about AB Discord.

4- On top of that most people who use discord are not keen on using forums. These new people on Discord will not come to the forums. Very few WLA people came to the AB Forums. On the flip side, many AB forum people went to the WLA Discord and stayed there. This has happened once, it will happen again.

5- Why should the forum staff put double the effort into maintaining two communities when the gain is minimal and the loss is massive?

I have said this before, Discord and other means of communication should not be considered at all. The forums should be the only means of communication. Only then can it grow. If a AB discord is made, these type of threads will once again resurface: https://animebase.me/threads/do-something-about-the-forum.767966/. In this thread, many of the active forum users state that they do not like Discord and prefer the forums. This shows that the forum is the main interest for the people who care about the forums.

Illegal manga/anime scanlations site links should not be considered. Even if you use a proxy means eventually it will be traced back to AB and lawsuits will be filed. This is a dangerous issue and forums are shutting down because of it. It is best to stay away completely.

If advertising needs to be done, then social media sites are a good idea. This is because they are open in nature. Most people use Twitter and facebook and if advertising is done properly then these people will come across AB. A person does not even need a facebook or Twitter account to access the AB site pages.

If people here want the activity to increase, only this simple thing needs to be done: https://animebase.me/threads/whats-the-road-ahead.768726/#post-21938610.

Last edited:

Ensifer

Veteran
Kin
145💸
Kumi
412💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is a bad idea.

1- Discord is a superior means of communication than Forums. This means people will use discord more than forums and the forum activity will reduce.

2-Discussion can happen on the forums. This discussion will increase forum activity. Why is a second means of discussion required? It will only divide the community between pro forums and pro discord camps. This has already happened with the NBRP community here. lol

3- Discord is bad for advertising. This is because Discord is closed in nature. If you make a server you need to make an account to access it. A guest cannot access it. This means advertising is much more difficult as people who do not have an account on discord will never know about AB Discord.

4- On top of that most people who use discord are not keen on using forums. These new people on Discord will not come to the forums. Very few WLA people came to the AB Forums. On the flip side, many AB forum people went to the WLA Discord and stayed there. This has happened once, it will happen again.

5- Why should the forum staff put double the effort into maintaining two communities when the gain is minimal and the loss is massive?

I have said this before, Discord and other means of communication should not be considered at all. The forums should be the only means of communication. Only then can it grow. If a AB discord is made, these type of threads will once again resurface: https://animebase.me/threads/do-something-about-the-forum.767966/. In this thread, many of the active forum users state that they do not like Discord and prefer the forums. This shows that the forum is the main interest for the people who care about the forums.

Illegal manga/anime scanlations site links should not be considered. Even if you use a proxy means eventually it will be traced back to AB and lawsuits will be filed. This is a dangerous issue and forums are shutting down because of it. It is best to stay away completely.

If advertising needs to be done, then social media sites are a good idea. This is because they are open in nature. Most people use Twitter and facebook and if advertising is done properly then these people will come across AB. A person does not even need a facebook or Twitter account to access the AB site pages.

If people here want the activity to increase, only this simple thing needs to be done: https://animebase.me/threads/whats-the-road-ahead.768726/#post-21938610.
The best strategy right now is for users to respond to the manga discussion threads that @Caliburn and @Avani are making. If users are active in those threads it will make a huge difference.
It won't make a difference if it is the same small group of people replying in those threads, especially when they become relied upon too much.

There needs to be methods of bringing in new users, perhaps a promotion for them doing it a lot through Twitter or Facebook or etc.

Last edited:

Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,027💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It won't make a difference if it is the same small group of people replying in those threads, especially when they become relied upon too much.

There needs to be a methods of bringing in new users, perhaps a promotion for them doing it a lot through Twitter or Facebook or etc.
It will make a difference. Anime and Manga is the main focus of the forum. If even 7 people continuously post in those threads it will make the guests also join because they would want to discuss too. Now there is no need for the same group of people to keep on posting for a long time because they will be replaced by the new members if they stop. This is the best way to increase activity. It is the golden mantra for forums if you ask me.

You are correct with the bold and the staff needs to advertise on these platforms. That is how we can get new members.