Any Advice for a struggling high school student?

Moe22

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hello NB =D Before I begin, this isn't like a complain thread, I'm just a little lost in my life, and I don't really have anyone to ask for advice. Seeing there are many wise and compassionate members here, I thought you guys could give me some tips.
So I recently moved from the United States to the United Arab Emirates for my dad's job. It's quite different from the US, but I tried to be optimistic about this new experience. So fast forward a couple of months and I find myself enrolled in a Private British School. My pops says it was the "best option for a good education." But some of you know there is a big difference between the American school system and the British. The British has 4 courses you take in my grade called "AS levels" which are the same as AP and honors classes in the US. I was never specifically smart, I just get an average of all B's. Not good, not bad. So here I am with a huge knowledge gap in specifically Math and Physics, and I'm studying for hours and hours after school only to fail my tests and struggle in class. In a social aspect of the situation, I've also had a hard time making friends. I try to be open, but no one seems interested. I've also been called names by some of the other students. So with all these factors, I'm becoming lazier and lazier every day, and I feel like I'm slowly giving up hope for a decent future. If you read I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart, so any tips? :eww:

Reactions: Sefirosu Masamune

MetalGundam

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sorry to hear this :/ Not too far off from where I was in Highschool for the first two years. I came from a Private Catholic Grade School to a public Highschool. I was socially and education-wise behind everyone.

What I did was just stay with the few friends that went from my Grade-School to High school and joke around with new kids in class. I didn't open up till I was a Junior, though. I'd suggest just trying to find one person you have something in common with and hanging around him/her and their friends. Eventually, you'll find someone else in that group you like.

Joining clubs is also a great way to get to know people, I did it once or twice during the later years of highschool and was surprised to see how many people I recognized in class. Got along better with everyone, not to say we were friends.

School wise, I'm going to be honest here. I'm a solid C student. I never tried, didn't do much Homework, all of that. Math was murder and Physics was even worse. Teachers do help, thankfully. I went to a lot of teacher support and even tutoring. I'd suggest alerting your teachers of your struggle and the transitional educational path you have and hopefully they will either assign you a tutor or pull time aside to help you.

Reactions: Penguin

Edward

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You'll fit in, give yourself time to get used to your new environment. Slowly talk to people during class, and if the teacher puts you in pairs for group work, then even better. Just don't be awkward. You'll find friends, but don't try too hard. Join clubs if at all possible and participate I'm events. As for your school work, if you find yourself really struggling, I think you should study more. If you study a lot right now, Mayne drop some honor classes to help you catch up. Ask a teacher or classmates to tutor you after school. Just don't lose hope and keep an eye out for your goal.

ThatOfLegend

Regular
Kin
8💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I feel that if you had some kind of positive social stimulation, you'd be more enthusiastic about your studies, try your best to make friends, it will keep you optimistic and confident; I think that it would help everything. Though I'm not suggesting completely dropping your studies through your endeavour for social acceptance, though I do sincerely think it help.

Sorry if you didn't find this helpful, I'm just a Sophomore in high school myself

Reactions: Moe22

-Tremendous-

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yaww welcome to the Middle-east mate ;) and you will need time to get used to this country, the people and the climate especially. Don't worry about your grades keep working hard it's because you just moved here and finding new friends are bit hard.About the name calling thing it's best you just ignore them like you do anywhere. Just have patience. :)

Moe22

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sorry to hear this :/ Not too far off from where I was in Highschool for the first two years. I came from a Private Catholic Grade School to a public Highschool. I was socially and education-wise behind everyone.

What I did was just stay with the few friends that went from my Grade-School to High school and joke around with new kids in class. I didn't open up till I was a Junior, though. I'd suggest just trying to find one person you have something in common with and hanging around him/her and their friends. Eventually, you'll find someone else in that group you like.

Joining clubs is also a great way to get to know people, I did it once or twice during the later years of highschool and was surprised to see how many people I recognized in class. Got along better with everyone, not to say we were friends.

School wise, I'm going to be honest here. I'm a solid C student. I never tried, didn't do much Homework, all of that. Math was murder and Physics was even worse. Teachers do help, thankfully. I went to a lot of teacher support and even tutoring. I'd suggest alerting your teachers of your struggle and the transitional educational path you have and hopefully they will either assign you a tutor or pull time aside to help you.
I'm really glad to hear from someone that was in my situation. I've tried to befriend some people, but everyone's your average party and drink every weekend teenager. I tried for a tutor, but they're SO expensive. My dad would essentially be paying another school bill. and he's already struggling with me and my little siblings' school bill, and my brother's college tuition. But thank you so much, the advice was helpful!

You'll fit in, give yourself time to get used to your new environment. Slowly talk to people during class, and if the teacher puts you in pairs for group work, then even better. Just don't be awkward. You'll find friends, but don't try too hard. Join clubs if at all possible and participate I'm events. As for your school work, if you find yourself really struggling, I think you should study more. If you study a lot right now, Mayne drop some honor classes to help you catch up. Ask a teacher or classmates to tutor you after school. Just don't lose hope and keep an eye out for your goal.
I'm not allowed to drop classes :/ I think I need to study more too, but its getting to a point where I just don't have a life anymore. I'll surely look into clubs though! I think my biggest fault here is that I'm shaky on my goal. My old man wants me to be an engineer, but I don't really know what I want. Sorry If I'm sounding like a spoiled brat hahah

UchihaKira

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Youre from 'Merica, they should be begging to be your friend! Whats going on here? Did you call the police?!

OT: Just be yourself and never give up. Life is all ups and downs, you gotta go down to go back up.

Moe22

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Youre from 'Merica, they should be begging to be your friend! Whats going on here? Did you call the police?!

OT: Just be yourself and never give up. Life is all ups and downs, you gotta go down to go back up.
You're right. Thanks =D But since this is a british private school, most think Americans are just McDonald's eating, beer drinking Neanderthals. Their perceptions of Americans is REALLY off

Reactions: -Tremendous-

MetalGundam

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm really glad to hear from someone that was in my situation. I've tried to befriend some people, but everyone's your average party and drink every weekend teenager. I tried for a tutor, but they're SO expensive. My dad would essentially be paying another school bill. and he's already struggling with me and my little siblings' school bill, and my brother's college tuition. But thank you so much, the advice was helpful!

I'm not allowed to drop classes :/ I think I need to study more too, but its getting to a point where I just don't have a life anymore. I'll surely look into clubs though! I think my biggest fault here is that I'm shaky on my goal. My old man wants me to be an engineer, but I don't really know what I want. Sorry If I'm sounding like a spoiled brat hahah
Does your school not have free tutors? Or, some program for them :/? That is where I had to go.... If not, try to set up a study group or get in one when you make friends.

And, I feel ye'. I was put off by that stuff for a while too. I eventually just sort of accepted it. This next bit will be awful advice, but I personally just started goofying off more, drinking, smoking to fit in with my changing friends instead of trying to find new ones. So.. Eh.. I don't want to encourage that sort of thing. Maybe just... Hmm... Find people who won't do that? Or, give in a bit and try to have fun at a party every once in awhile....

Again, that's what I did but... Don't do it if you're uncomfortable with those things.. I was rather open to them

Moe22

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Does your school not have free tutors? Or, some program for them :/? That is where I had to go.... If not, try to set up a study group or get in one when you make friends.

And, I feel ye'. I was put off by that stuff for a while too. I eventually just sort of accepted it. This next bit will be awful advice, but I personally just started goofying off more, drinking, smoking to fit in with my changing friends instead of trying to find new ones. So.. Eh.. I don't want to encourage that sort of thing. Maybe just... Hmm... Find people who won't do that? Or, give in a bit and try to have fun at a party every once in awhile....

Again, that's what I did but... Don't do it if you're uncomfortable with those things.. I was rather open to them
You have great advice:yay: This sounds lame, but instead of that stuff I usually just close myself in my room and watch anime and read manga until I fall asleep hahaha. The school doesn't have free tutoring, or tutoring at all. I have to find one outside of school, and they're just ripoffs.

MetalGundam

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You have great advice:yay: This sounds lame, but instead of that stuff I usually just close myself in my room and watch anime and read manga until I fall asleep hahaha. The school doesn't have free tutoring, or tutoring at all. I have to find one outside of school, and they're just ripoffs.
Haha, I was like that. My older siblings got into a game called Warcraft, and I started to like it. I played it for eight years... Slowly getting more addicted... Like, even last year [My senior year] I would spend a Friday night every once in awhile just playing on that instead of hanging out with friends. I'd of course watch some anime.. Too. But... Mainly internet games.

So, being shut in AND going out can co-exist in oneself, or for me it did! I found simply being annoyed at all the fun stories friends had to tell that I would ocassionally miss out on to be what I need to get out of muh room... It's cool to just be alone, but not all the time! Main point: Been there brah... I'm in no position to call ye lame.

And, damn. Sorry to hear. I'd try to find a friend or someone in school that's a student to help you instead of having to pay. Or, ask a teacher/Guidance Counsler

Moe22

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Haha, I was like that. My older siblings got into a game called Warcraft, and I started to like it. I played it for eight years... Slowly getting more addicted... Like, even last year [My senior year] I would spend a Friday night every once in awhile just playing on that instead of hanging out with friends. I'd of course watch some anime.. Too. But... Mainly internet games.

So, being shut in AND going out can co-exist in oneself, or for me it did! I found simply being annoyed at all the fun stories friends had to tell that I would ocassionally miss out on to be what I need to get out of muh room... It's cool to just be alone, but not all the time! Main point: Been there brah... I'm in no position to call ye lame.

And, damn. Sorry to hear. I'd try to find a friend or someone in school that's a student to help you instead of having to pay. Or, ask a teacher/Guidance Counsler
We're so similar! hahaha =D I'll see if I can solve the tutoring problem. You've been a great help my friend!

xif wexlizer

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hello NB =D Before I begin, this isn't like a complain thread, I'm just a little lost in my life, and I don't really have anyone to ask for advice. Seeing there are many wise and compassionate members here, I thought you guys could give me some tips.
So I recently moved from the United States to the United Arab Emirates for my dad's job. It's quite different from the US, but I tried to be optimistic about this new experience. So fast forward a couple of months and I find myself enrolled in a Private British School. My pops says it was the "best option for a good education." But some of you know there is a big difference between the American school system and the British. The British has 4 courses you take in my grade called "AS levels" which are the same as AP and honors classes in the US. I was never specifically smart, I just get an average of all B's. Not good, not bad. So here I am with a huge knowledge gap in specifically Math and Physics, and I'm studying for hours and hours after school only to fail my tests and struggle in class. In a social aspect of the situation, I've also had a hard time making friends. I try to be open, but no one seems interested. I've also been called names by some of the other students. So with all these factors, I'm becoming lazier and lazier every day, and I feel like I'm slowly giving up hope for a decent future. If you read I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart, so any tips? :eww:
Dude i know just how u feel:Omg: u know my childhood and teenage hood was exactly like that...my dad used to be in army and we had to change cities and schools everytime he was posted....i had the same problems as u did and i was always a bright student but u gotta hv suitable enviroment to study or other wise u can't....to make friends don't open up to people very quickly...infact don't open up at all! trust me..u do that and u'll be the most popular student in class in no time....don't be intimadated by anyone....screw anyone who tries to diss u or make fun of u...u hv to do that if u dont want to be the underdog of the class....now for the most imp advice is that never share ur personal feelings with anyone! now for the studies....revise the things u learn at school daily...not memorize just revise...thats gonna help u alot

Blinkie Uchiha

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've been through the british education system :) here's my advice, try and make friends, they help you out but it's not essential. Don't get too friendly with the teachers unless you want a beating. and just generally work hard and a cramming session the night before an exam doesn't hurt just don't overdo it XD