[Fantasy] Aetherian Rhapsodies-(Stanza I: Three Worlds)

Omega

Legendary
Kin
49💸
Kumi
16💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Aetherian Rhapsodies
You must be registered for see images

Stanza I: Three Worlds

And so it shall be written. We walked among them until our differences became clear to all of man. We walked among them until our differences resonated throughout the universe and a rift, in the heavens and earth, swallowed peace and spat out destruction. It was not until existence that our very own turmoil spilled over and burned all who struggled under its foretelling shadow. For we will call it their sin for being placed under cursed stars; however, this guilt will not be shed with the passing of cherry blossoms. Neither will yours, for you have naught but an insincere tear. Indeed, let you tears become rain, and let the rain cleanse your filth. May your salt fester into the grains of destiny and sprout wicked intent! Allow the water to hide exposed blood for your own conscious. Blessed is the warrior at peace! The question that I must ask you my brothers; are you truly repentant?-”

A knight ran through the halls with little regard for his surroundings. His mind was set on naught but one purpose. It was evident that there was an issue of importance that required his presence. He seemed to have little concern for his well-being, nor the well-being of those around him. Today the halls were fairly empty; however, the few that roamed them that day would have to be wary of getting in this soldiers way. His determination would soon disappear as he reached his destination. A large white door with gold engravings stood before him. The soldier was immobilized for minutes as the sweat he had accumulated from running through the kingdom dripped down his face. With a quivering hand he knocked on the door.

“The subject is ready. I-It is time.”

After the knight had spoken, a deafening silence and a feeling of anticipation filled the air. The knight could not help but look down out of sheer nervousness while the door opened slowly. An elderly yet strong man walked into the light with a golden cane and crown. His black velvet robe trailed behind him as he looked down at the knight. “Very well, lead me to the audience hall.”

They walked through large red doors and into the audience hall. It was at this time the knight stepped aside and allowed the man to sit upon his throne. The room was completely silent. Everyone awaited the words of the king of Xelania, Lord Wyvern.

“Today the trial of the chosen will commence. As you know, the deadly Zyther has resurfaced. Not only has it resurfaced, but it has also assumed form. I believe our enemies our born from this dark and evil element. The great kingdom of Xelania has managed to keep the Zyther at bay because of the advance technology of the past. It is for this reason that I believe our cause has been blessed by the gods above. They dance and rejoice at our progress to guide the world. My head priest has received another vision while praying at the Alter of Roses. Someone in our great country will take the Blade of Destruction and become the light that guides Xelania out of this darkness. Priest Galvnich believes this man might be the one.”

A young man kneeled down before the king as a gate revealing the Sword of Destruction was opened. The room containing the doors looked like something out of a dream. The sword was not placed in the ground, but it seemed to float just on its surface. The blade of the sword seemed to be made out of the finest crystal. It looked almost like glass; moreover, there were gold letters from an unknown language engraved vertically across the sword. The hilt of the sword seemed to be entirely constructed of black sapphires. Cherry blossom trees could be seen growing within the room.

“This artifact is from the era of the gods, the Utopian Era. Gods and Goddesses alike used to roam the planet along with humans until their battle with the Dark One. This sword is an artifact from that era like many of the artifacts we have been blessed to excavate. Unable to move this blade, my ancestors built this kingdom around this single sword. They were convinced this was a gift from the gods and that someday someone would be able to move it. Go forth and take your destiny.”

The young man started to sweat profusely and he was shaking all over. Ever step toward the blade seemed to result in him moving farther away. All of the knights around the room had their swords drawn, and the archers all had their bows aimed toward the man. The nameless man entered the room and gently touched the blade. A bright light filled the room and ultimately blinded everyone in it. The light soon faded, and the sword had not moved. The man who had touched merely stood at the entrance. He turned around to reveal that his eyes had turned red. Several symbols appeared on his body. He opened his mouth to speak as a tear ran down his face, but before he could speak he turned into dust. Everyone in the room looked away save for the king and his son. The gate was again closed and the chosen warrior remained a mystery.

“His soul could not co-exist with the spirit of the sword. He disintegrated like the others,” Wyvern’s son said as he ordered the knights and archers to leave. “Do not grieve father. Surely the gods have a reason for giving the priests these visions. At the very least, his soul was purified by the blade.”

Lord Wyvern nodded and placed his crown on a nearby stand. “It pains me, but these lives must be sacrificed for the good of the nation. Send an official letter with my stamp to his family.”

The prince nodded and looked back at the closed gate. “Father, I will see if the priest has received another name.”
After Prince Wyvern left the room, his father looked to the throne at his left. “What is on your mind? You have remained silent through this entire ordeal. If you are to be my daughter in law you must share your thoughts in important matters.”

The silvered hair woman was young, but was still an adult. She continued to gaze at the spot where the nameless soul died. She did not cry, but there was a definite sadness in her blue eyes. “Forgive me Lord Wyvern. It pains me to see people die even if it is for a good cause.”

“That is understandable. One day, it will be clear when you have to make the tough decisions yourself.”

“I believe I would choose life.”

“You have a pure heart Aurora. Sometimes the purest hearts become tainted when ruling a nation. For your sake I hope you never have to betray the things dear to you.”

Aurora gazed across the room as she pondered the words her father spoke. It would be a lie to deny the truth in them; however, it would be a lie to betray her beliefs. Sometimes the line between right and wrong is very thin, and Aurora was just beginning to see reality for what it was.

“Zane…..Zane…..Zane!”

The young man woke up to his mother’s voice. Zane was still in his night clothes even though it was in the middle of the afternoon. He brushed his blond hair out of his face and rubbed his eyes. Yawning while he spoke made him hard to understand. “Oh it’s just you mom.” He immediately went back to sleep which earned him the wrath of his father.

“ZANE WAKE UP YOU LEECH!” His father bellowed. He punched Zane awake and threw a new change of clothes and a few empty bags in his direction. Sleepy and confused, Zane merely looked at the clothes and then back at his dad. “Don’t give me that look! Consider it tough love, but I won’t allow your mother to enable you anymore. You’re twenty years old and it is about time you learn what it means to support yourself!”

Zane finally snapped out of his dreary disposition and looked around frantically. Before he could speak, his mother slapped his father on the head. “Edward! What do you mean I’m enabling him? You’re the one who doubled his allowance!”

“Maria you know he had a date! You also know how much women like money!” His father snapped.

“Oh, so now all women are superficial, money grubbing demons!”

“WELL IF THE NIGHT GOWN FITS! If I was still a knight, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be talking back right now!”

“That’s it! My father was right about you! I’m leaving!”

“See I told you! GO RIGHT AHEAD! I’m sure some lucky princess will be perfectly content with an honest blacksmith. I’ve seen a few plays you know!”

Zane’s parents stormed off into separate rooms leaving their son confused. He shrugged his shoulders with no desire in his heart to comprehend what had happened and attempted to go back to sleep. Just as he closed his eyes his parents entered the room again. They embraced each other while speaking in soft and gentle tones.

“Maria, I’m sorry sweety. You know it’s really all Zane’s fault. I’m usually not this agitated.” Edward said as he looked deep into his wife’s eyes. This was in total contrast to the previous few seconds.

Zane merely eyed his father with the same look of confusion he has had since he woke up. “D-Did you just blame your marriage problems on me?”

“I concur. I’m sorry for getting mad at you my hubby bear. It is about time Zane left. Once he is gone we can go back to those good ol days. You know like when we were young.” Zane’s mother said this with a slightly devious smile as she drew closer to her husband. This nearly made Zane pack up and leave all on his own; however, his prized laziness allowed him to stomach another dreadful scene of parental affection.

“Hey guys I’m still here. Can you not do this right in front of me?”

“The truth is, Maria, everything went downhill when he was born.”

“DAD! I’m right here!”

“That’s true…we were both drunk that night-“

Zane closed his eyes and covered his ears. He could hardly believe how insensitive his parents were being. It was true that his older brothers had left the nest, but he did not think he was deserving of this. “I’m not listening anymore! Lalalalala…La! LAAAAA!” Everything was a blur after he closed his eyes, for when he opened them all he could see was his mother and father standing on the other size of a half closed door while he sat on the doorsteps. His parents were waving and smiling; it was disturbing. He had at least thought there would be more sympathy from his mother, but she seemed to be more eager than his father at this point.

“We hope you make something of yourself.” His father said cheerfully.

“You’ll always be our little accident.” His mother said in a similar manner. After that they slammed the door and ultimately sealed his fate.

Zane, whom was completely dumbfounded at this point, stood outside the door in his night clothes. He turned around and looked up at the sky as if he were waiting for rain to suddenly fall. There was no way to wrap his mind around the recent events, so he just started walking on the main road. “You know this isn’t too bad. Now I have a sense of purpose. I have a sense of freedom. I have a…a universe kinda thingy……..I have…uh….I..have….I…” Zane bit his lip and looked back at his house. He looked forward towards the unknown and at his house again. Going outside was nothing new, but to go outside with nowhere to go made the world look like a bottomless abyss. “MOM!” Zane yelled while running back to the door. He knocked on the door, but no one answered. It was quite a pathetic sight actually. He stopped his tirade as soon as a woman passed him. Zane made sure to quickly stand up straight and speak in a low tone. “MOTHER! I’m going to get food because my good for nothing father ran off with a gold digger. I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be back before supper!” Zane waited for the woman, that was still eyeing him nervously, to move out of sight. Once she was gone, Zane took off in a spontaneous direction. Of course he had no clue where he was going, but he had to start somewhere.

After a few minutes of just walking around St.Rose, Zane’s stomach started to growl. “At least it can’t get worse.” Zane groaned. It was as if he had mocked the gods of misfortune for at that moment a Red Rose knight appeared seemingly out of thin air. Zane was too deep in his own thoughts of misery and concern to notice the relatively young knight in front of him. Zane continued to walk until the knight grabbed his shoulder.

“Hey, isn’t there someplace you need to be?” The guard said as he eyed him intently.

“Who, me?” Zane said. He was bewildered as was often the case. “Uhh I don’t think so.” Zane didn’t realize he had dug his own grave with those words. The ring of a sword being drawn could be heard by everyone on that street. The onlookers immediately backed away from Zane and the knight. Again, Zane looked around only to find himself in another hopeless situation of his own creation. Every word and phrase that stems from the upmost frustration entered his mind at this moment. He was still confused as to why he was being apprehended, but it did not take a scholar to know he was about to get into some unwanted trouble.

“Alright, just come with me. If you resist I will be forced to-“

“He’s with me!” A mysterious and rugged voice interrupted.

“Yeah, I’m with him!” Zane said trying to locate his savior. That was when the owner of the voice separated himself from among the small crowd gathering in the street. He was an extremely large individual and had a very imposing presence. Various tattoos could be seen across his body and face. When Zane obtained a full view of him, he quickly changed his tune. “You know what? I actually don’t know that guy at all. Feel free to take me in.”

“Come on, stop joking with the knight. I’m sure he is too busy to listen to your act. Your lunch break is over.”

The officer sheathed his sword and patted Zane on the back. “You almost had me going there. Everyone likes a good break, but try not to enjoy them too much, or else you won’t want to go back to work.” The officer scanned Zane once more and then placed his hand back on his sword handle. “Waiiiiit…if you’re working, why are you wearing night clothes and carrying all of those bags.”

Zane eventually decided it couldn’t hurt to trust the scary, brute of a man who appeared to be helping him. He had played out both scenarios in his head, and due to his flair for the dramatic, both scenarios resulted in death. He saw no harm in dying by the tattooed beast. “Well you know this is the latest trend in Xelania. I heard this is what the prince wears at all of his events. It gives you comfort, its casual, yet dignified. Only those with the confidence of a king can pull this off.”

“Now that you mention it, I can see that. Wow, I hope it’s not too late for me to catch on to this trend. If I were trendier then maybe I could start working in the castle. Thanks man!”

“No problem. I think it will last for the next decade at the very least.”

“Well, have a good day. Sorry for the trouble.”

A great feeling of relief came over Zane as the soldier walked away. This feeling would soon come to an end as he was taken by the collar and dragged across the street.

“I helped you, so now you are going to help me. Heh, heh.”

If there was one thing Zane did not like; it would be ominous laughter. Zane’s mind was free to run wild until they reached their destination. He even started to second guess if he should have went with the knight. When they reached their destination the large citizen let go of Zane and locked the door. He disappeared into a room only to reappear seconds later. “What the hell are you doing?” The large man inquired as he saw Zane in prayer stance.

“I am coming to terms with my death. Do whatever you want, but please don’t eat me.”

“Why the hell would I eat another human?! Look kid, just open your eyes.”

“What, so you can gauge them out? No thank you.”

“Closing your eyes wouldn’t stop me from gauging them out.”

“HA SO YOU ADMIT YOU’RE AN EXPERT EYE GUAGER!?”

“Yes. I MEAN NO! JUST CUT IT OUT!”

Zane gave in and opened his eyes. Once they were open he could not bear to close them. “Wow! I wasn’t expecting this!”

An endless amount of desserts filled the shelves of the humble shop. One could tell a great amount of care was involved in creating desserts of such intrinsic designs. There seemed to be every type of dessert you could think of. Even the pessimistic Zane felt genuine happiness, at least before his personality kicked back in. “Ha, man…you almost got me, but you’re not going to fattin me up just to eat me later.”

“Look, I already said I’m not going to eat you! I just want you to help me out for a little while. One of my workers left.”

“Really? So earlier…you actually helped me?”

“You seem like a good kid. I didn’t want you to ruin your life over pajamas.”

“Pajamas? Oh yeah.” Zane looked at his attire, and his bags. He then remembered the lie he told the knight. His eyes grew wide and then he had burst into laughter. “I never changed out of my night clothes. No wonder the knight was trying to take me away.”

“Exactly, the Red Rose Knights don’t take kind to those living on the streets, and you seemed to fit the bill of a homeless wanderer. They take pride in making this ‘the example’ for all other nations, so you most likely would have been crammed into the St.Rose dungeon if you had been caught. They don’t seem to mind the homeless who live in the Lawless district though, so maybe you’ll end up there. That makes me wonder…why were you in your pajamas in the first place? It’s well into the afternoon.”

“Well…” Zane said as he looked around the room. He did not want to tell the tale of getting kicked out of his parent’s house for being a good for nothing leech. Especially to this man. This man looked as if he lived a hard life, and worked hard to own his own business. “You see it all started when my parents died-“

“He was kicked out by his parents,” a woman said. Zane looked around frantically as he scanned the area to find out who blew his cover. A woman appeared out of the shadows with a devious smirk on her face. It was the lady who had passed his house earlier that day; however, Zane would have never thought she knew what happened. The large man was laughing hysterically at this point. Zane merely tried to pretend this was all a dream. “I’m Molina, and this is my father Dyne. My father is the owner of this bakery.”

“Um, hello…I’m Zane and-“

“That’s real nice but we have to run the shop now; we can talk later.” In the middle of her sentence a broom was thrusted into Zane’s arms. Molina disappeared into a room only to reappear seconds later with a small wooden box. She placed the box on the table and then motioned for Zane to come closer. Strangely enough she also made it clear she wanted him to continue sweeping at the same time. “Believe it or not, many people are lazy and they would rather pay the delivery fee instead of walking to the shop and getting their desserts themselves.”

“Heh, lazy people. Imagine that.”

“Riiiight…, anyway these are the requests. I’m going to take about 60% of these requests and give you the remaining 40%. You can start on these when you’re done. Each of the desserts have their labels on them, and if you’re still confused they each have a corresponding number and letter. You place the desserts in the wheelbarrow looking thing over there, and yes, you have to push it yourself. Since it is in the middle of the spring you will have to deliver these desserts pretty quickly, or else, they will get all mushy and nasty. I’ll also tell you this; if we lose customers then we will be losing you. No pressure right? Good luck.” With that said, Molina gathered all of the desserts in her pile of requests and put them on her cart. The cart looked like an oversized wheelbarrow. Across the sides read “Dyne Dyne’s Bakery”.

By the time Zane was done sweeping, Molina had already packaged her goods and left. Although Molina was not at the bakery, Zane could still faintly hear her voice rushing him to finish his duties. Zane walked over to the box and then looked at the door. He could leave anytime if he really wanted to, but despite his faults, Zane would honor his debts. He looked back at the stack of requests as Dyne walked over to Zane while wiping tears from his eyes. “Phew, that was a good laugh. Don’t worry Zane it’s not that hard. Molina likes to act tough and bossy, but at the end of the day she answers to me. I let her do her thing to satisfy her ego. Don’t tell her I said that though.”

“Don’t worry Dyne! I’ll deliver this with the best of my ability!”

“Ha Ha! That’s what I like to see out of my employees!” Dyne calmed down and then looked at one of his signature cakes. “I don’t know what happened before we met, but you know if you work hard enough anything is possible. I grew up in the Lawless district and now I own my own business. Follow what you believe in and never waiver. Do you understand Zane?” Dyne turned around only to see that Zane had changed out of his nightclothes and left already. Dyne laughed in embarrassment and continued to work on more desserts to replace the ones that were just taken.”

Zane knew the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] district fairly well so navigating through the streets was not an extremely difficult task. “Hello! Delivery from Dyne Dyne’s Bakery! A request for a uhhh…a….meatball cake?” A thin elderly woman opened and shut the door behind her in the blink of an eye. She was signaling for Zane to get quiet. “Um, why am I being quiet again ma’am.” Zane whispered.

The lady looked around and leaned in closer. “You seem like you’re a new employer. My husband has recently become a vegetarian. I agreed to go along with it but for heaven’s sake, I miss ham. After 3 weeks of no meat, I was going crazy. I tried to ask him if it would be okay if I act…you know…normal. He totally went crazy at the thought of us not being vegetarian. So I had an idea, why not have someone make a meat cake disguised as a sweet cake. Brilliant right?”

“Whatever makes you happy. Look I got other deliveries to make so-“

“That’s when I met Dyne. He could make any kind of dessert. He not only managed to make a meatball cake, but he managed to disguise its smell and make it taste really good as well. The only downside is I have to eat it in the bathroom-“

“EXCUSE ME! I really have to go now. Here is your meat cake, have a nice day. I don’t think you should tell anyone else that story.”

“Oh, because it might get around to my husband. Great advice ummm…”

“Zane, my name is Zane.”

“You may just be a kid, but you’re pretty smart. Now wish me luck Zane! I haven’t been married for 40 years just to let vegetables get in the way!”

Zane nodded with a polite yet awkward smile and then dashed through the streets of St. Rose. He was confused and amazed at the elderly woman’s story, but he could not let that distract him.

After delivering numerous desserts, Zane could understand why Dyne and Molina took their job so seriously. Something as simple as desserts seemed to add something to the lives of the strangers he had met. For that brief moment, there was true happiness, there was true hope.

“One last delivery.” Zane said as he approached the door. Today was a successful day for the most part. Amazingly, he had not received any complaints. As he approached the door he could not help but notice there was a man prepared to knock at the door. He was wearing clothes akin to that of a nobleman. “Excuse me, I have a delivery to make.”

“Hmm…..you wouldn’t happen to work for the Dyne Dyne bakery in this district?”

“Well…..sure I guess. Why?” Zane did not see any harm in telling this man he worked for Dyne. Even though he just started working a few hours ago, he did just deliver their desserts. The nobleman pulled out a piece of paper with gold lace on it.

“I come from the city of Rohanis. The king will be visiting St. Rose to bear witness to the great sword that lies here. He just happens to prefer the food of commoners and this was on his list of shops I was to visit. Of course you can refuse without penalty, but I’m sure a shop that made it onto this list would accept the challenge, if you know what I mean. Hahahaha.” The nobleman’s laugh sounded insincere. It was a classic rich man laugh sprinkled with condescending tones. Zane decided to laugh as well in hopes of getting on the rich man’s good side. His laugh came out weird as he tried to emulate the same laugh as the nobleman. During the awkward exchange, the nobleman handed him the fancy paper he was holding.

“What is this?”

“That is the contract stating you will deliver everything on that list. If you look at the bottom you will realize how much this particular job will pay.”

Zane skimmed through the letter briefly and read the bottom of the letter as instructed. His eyes grew wide as he saw six digits across the paper. Zane had only just started working for Dyne, but he thought it would not hurt to sign what he considered a once in a lifetime deal. He was certain Dyne would be overjoyed to find out he was baking for a king. “Don’t worry I will send Dyne the great news! I’m sure he will be happy to hear this!”

“Good, do not be late. The appropriate time and place is on the contract. The King of Rohanis will be looking forward to your arrival.”

By the time the nobleman finished speaking, Zane was already running back to the Dyne Dyne bakery. He took off so fast that he forgot to deliver the last item that was in his cart. When he arrived at the bakery Molina’s cheerful face had already warped into a look of disapproval. She immediately scanned for anything that would give her an excuse to scold him while Dyne was closing the shop.

“Zane! You forgot to deliver one of the items? You had one job-“

“Oh, my bad, but guess what happened to me today!”

“If you didn’t run into a brick wall then I don’t want to hear about it.”

“You’re too uptight. Anyway, I met a nobleman today. The King of Rohanis sent him here.”

“Well that’s good for you. I don’t care for nobles too much.”

“That’s not all. It turns out the King of Rohanis is coming to visit St. Rose and he just happens to be a fan of common food.”

When Dyne heard this he abandoned what he was doing and walked over to Zane. He had a stern, and anxious expression. “Zane, he didn’t make you sign anything did he?”

“Well yeah. He said the king wanted your food. He was paying a really good price, and I thought if you could make meat cake taste good then you could make something fit for a king.”

“ZANE YOU IDIOT!”

“What did I do this time?”

“The King of Rohanis bates commoners into cooking for him. It’s all a ruse Zane and you fell for it…”

“But he said-“

“I know what he said. While it is true that he will have commoners cook for him, it is not true that he actually ‘prefers’ the food of commoners. He thinks of this as a game. Those who cannot impress him are put to death; however, if you are one of the few to meet his standards then he will indeed gift you with large sums of money. This contract is binding and the one who signed it is subject to the things I just mentioned.”

“Oh so that means….”

“Yeah, according to this contract you’re gonna die in about two days Zane.” Molina said this as she continued to close up for the day.

“HOLD UP, WHAT! You guys are joking right?”

Dyne and Molina just continued to close up the shop while Zane struggled to maintain any amount of sanity. Every moment of the day was filled with twists and turns. Zane rubbed his eyes as if to wake from a deep slumber.

“What in the world did I do today to deserve all this?!”

Darkness swept across the streets of the Lawless District. Lighting was not prominent in this area. The only source of illuminance came from the stars and moon above. Empty bottles and other disposed items would often find their way into the crevices of the streets; however, it was not an unbearable amount. If anything, it only augmented the shadow that hung over this area. Poor, and desperate people made this place their home.

It goes without saying that criminal activity was rampant in this area. The strict rule of St.Rose hardly applied here, for they considered this place a lost cause. It earned the name “Lawless”, and its citizens adopted the name as well. That is not to say they were free to do whatever they wished; however, the officials of St.Rose would never go out of their way to fix the problems in this district. This dark and clear night a man roamed the streets at a time most men returned to their safe havens. The streets were dark and quiet, or at least that is what it appeared to be. The man looked as if he was born of the giants in the eastern hemisphere; however, he was in fact human. His face was hidden within the shadows of his hood. He then came to a slow stop. It was as if he was a statue under the night sky.
After another three minutes, a flame suddenly appeared ahead of him. This single flame would be followed by a chain of new flames appearing all around him. It would be revealed that these were torches illuminating sinister faces that displayed wicked intentions. The large man did not move at all during this time. A single man stepped forward and flashed a wicked grin.

“Arrogant fool. You roam the streets during our time? I should probably thank you though. If it weren’t for idiots like you we might have gone out of business a while ago. I don’t know if you’re new here or not, but you should know where this is heading.”

The giant like man slowly reached into his cloak and threw a pouch on the ground. A few coins spilled out of the pouch and flashed brightly under the surrounding torches.

“Oh I’m sorry. I think you misunderstood me. We’re going to take your money; that goes without saying. We’re also going to have to kill you.”

The large man tilted his head as if he was asking a silent question. A torch flickered in just the right way to reveal a mark on the hand of what appeared to be their leader. “Organ harvesters…”

“Oh so you can speak! Ha ha, it’s not like it will matter anyway. You will be happy to know you’re right. There are certain magicians and witches who would pay a hefty price for human organs. I care not for magic, but money...that’s something I can get behind.”

“Your sins…are painted on your faces. You will not live beyond this night to view the sunrise.”

“HA! You hear this boys! This man thinks he can kill us. Sorry but you’re-“ The torch flickered in just the right direction, and this time the evil man saw a symbol across the cloaked man’s face. Upon seeing this he started to tremble uncontrollably. His eyes widened and it became difficult for him to speak. “This man…this man is with the Shade Syndicate! Everyone get out of-“ Before he could finish his sentence, his torch was snuffed out and darkness again ruled over the light in that area. The others were immobilized by fear and shock. They could anticipate something was going to happen, but no matter how strongly they wished to move, their bodies rebelled against them. A burnt stick rolled towards one of the numerous harvesters surrounding the area. It was the torch used by the ring leader. After brief moment of absolute silence another torch was snuffed out, and then another. Just over half of the torches went out in only a few seconds, and it was only then that everyone began to run in any direction that would take them away from the chaos. It only took seconds for complete darkness to rule the night again.

A group of cloaked individuals sat in a poorly lit room. They sat in complete silence until the wooden door creaked as it slowly opened. Everyone in the room averted his gaze to the giant man who walked in. The cloaked man sitting at the center of the table motioned for him to come in. “You are late.”

“I am sorry. I was purging the wickedness of the harvesters who have run amok in this district for the last month,” he said as he took a seat right next to the leader.

The one leading the meeting nodded and then turned to everyone else that was seated before him. “Now that we’re all here we can begin the meeting. Has everyone covered their trails?” Everyone in the room nodded in agreement. Even the light seemed to flicker in agreement.

“Well then…let us begin. Operation Guardian will commence. Within the next forty-eight hours. we will assassinate the King.”

END

Author's Note
Zyther-A mysterious dark energy that was believed to be repressed. It has recently resurfaced. Not much is known except that it is a wicked power that leaves a trail of destruction and evil.

Xelania-One of the four major countries of the world. Out of the four Xelania is the largest, most advanced, and powerful of the four nations.

St.Rose: One of Xelania's largest cities. It consists of 3 districts. Noble(1st), Common(2nd), Lawless(3rd). It was one of three original cities of Xelania. Founded before the country expanded.

Rohanis: A small city in Xelania. It is one of the three original city and a nearly a sister town to St.Rose. It has experienced less fame and prosperity compared to St.Rose, but it is still a great city compared to most.

Utopian Era: An era in which gods dwelled among the human race. This was a highly advanced era, enlightenment, and technology were at their peak.

As always feedback, comments, are appreciated
I'm always happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks for reading!

Theme Song

Last edited:

Omega

Legendary
Kin
49💸
Kumi
16💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Really good start, man:) I'm eager to see how Zane fits into the events at the beginning and end of this chapter.
(Mwahaha as for Zane its my little secret) But seriously, thanks a lot man! I put my heart and soul into this ff for awhile now. I can't begin to tell you how many times I scrapped and changed up this first chapter. T_T The beginning is always the hardest part for me because I know a bad beginning can just ruin everything that follows, so hopefully everything else falls into place. I'll keep ya informed. Thanks again. xD

Glad Of War

Elite
Kin
117💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
... Incredible I must say. I really enjoyed how this fantasy as that "Middle age" look. It's almost as if I went back in time. Zane is a particular character I'm most interested in, which I know'll be seeing a lot of him. I'm also looking further to this "Operation guardian," which implies the King is going to be assassinated. I just hope I don't grow fond of the King.

Also, the name Aetherain as that "Games of thrones" special feeling. I probably noted a few ancient romans names as well. Conclusively, I'll say this is a great start and am certainly looking forward the next chapters!

Omega

Legendary
Kin
49💸
Kumi
16💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
... Incredible I must say. I really enjoyed how this fantasy as that "Middle age" look. It's almost as if I went back in time. Zane is a particular character I'm most interested in, which I know'll be seeing a lot of him. I'm also looking further to this "Operation guardian," which implies the King is going to be assassinated. I just hope I don't grow fond of the King.

Also, the name Aetherain as that "Games of thrones" special feeling. I probably noted a few ancient romans names as well. Conclusively, I'll say this is a great start and am certainly looking forward the next chapters!
Thanks for reading! You have no idea how many times I changed the title. Lol, out of all the ff I wrote I spent the most time perfecting this one so it feels good knowing my beginning wasn't too bad. I'll let u know when the nxt one is out. Maybe it'll answer some of your questions or maybe it will make u ask more. xD

Side note, I'm actually reading your latest chapter now. Lol, thanks again

Reborn

Legendary
Kin
732💸
Kumi
3,689💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Damn Zane's parents bipolar and cold af. Blamed this man's entire existence like it was Satan. The comedic relief of this chapter definitely helps.

Spelling and Grammar: Very good use of the english language. I cannot complain about anything in this category really.

Creativity: This is the first entry I've read that doesn't seem to have any basis in any other story. The foundation for this story is a fantasy setting, which I appreciate a lot. You definitely use the tropes of the genre as evident by the feeling I got as I read through this. I've read and watched my fair share of fantasy pieces but it is not something I'd call myself an expert in. Nevertheless, this seems to be a relatively thought out original piece. Even the aesthetics of your writing and chapter design (though I'm not judging that as part of the creativity). This is an opening chapter so I can't cast too many aspersions since I do not know what is to come. Though I could easily guess

Structure: It's fine, moving on...

Story/Plot: Very strong introduction to a conflict that exists within the set world you've chosen. The first part of this story really illustrates a severe tone for the story's plot. The second part gives a more light hearted tangent to introduce what would appear to be the main character or at least a major character. Then we end with an ominous tone, more in line with the seriousness of the first half. If I have any major complaints it would be the amount of attention given to each section. There is far more time spent on the antics of Zane in the middle of the story than either the beginning or the end. I've seen this in the beginning of a show where a great deal of it is fluff with the immediate beginning and/or end having the real meat of the show. Though the brevity of the first and last sections did not feel strong enough. If you had divided it into two parts and simply began with the scene with the royalty and expanded on that a bit more, while ending with Zane's dismay about being tricked and facing a death sentence, that would have given a good ratio and ended on a more comedic (though still somewhat dark) note while still having the audience a reason to come back. Likewise, if you reversed it and ended the chapter in an ominous way, you'd provoke curiosity in a way that teased and still make the audience come back. Overall the chapter is good as is the way you set it but had potential to be better.

Imagery, Detail, Vividness: I could see this world and I could see the characters as if the anime of this chapter was playing in my head. Your use of engrish is good and very interesting to read. I could not read this in one sitting but that was because I had ugly rl things to do. But when I came back reading this gave me less pain than I'm accustomed to when I have to read anything (I hate reading). On NB I'm used to reading crappy RP bios, RP fights, complaints, etc (which I'm sure you're aware of since you are part of that community as well) so my standard for this site has fallen. This raised the bar a bit so good on you.

Impact: Zane is hilarious, this man's luck is truly tragic. If I'm being honest, I'm interested in Zane's character and his role more than anything else in this. I gave you praise for the creativity in comparison to the other chapters I've read by the the the premise is very common. I'll use this section to give the most critical part of this. The generic royalty and kingdom nonsense was very flowery and easier for me to read thanks to how you convey it but I really do not care for it. Nor do I care for the end too much with the scene of the man getting cornered by some organ harvesters. It was really well written but the enjoyment I get from this comes from Zane's character and the characters from that section. Your kingdom and it's problems, ominous man, and ghetto slums are alright. I suppose I'm a very character driven person when it comes to my enjoyment since you can really only do so much with the rest of the world. Though in that regard you can't do much with characters either since you can always relate x to y. Though the enjoyment factor for me comes in laughing or crying, with characters, sympathizing with them, etc. That is a personal thing with me. I really did like this chapter, all things considered.

contact me if you want you grade