You must be registered for see images

General Info:

Series Name : The Ruler Of The Land, Yeolhyeol Gangho, Burning Blood Kangho,
Yulgang, Dragon, Hiệp Khách Giang Hồ,Rexue Jianghu, Sabre & Dragon,
Sabre et Yul Hyul Gang Ho, Правитель,Yul Hyul Kang Ho, 熱血江湖 , 열강 , 열혈강호

Year of Serialization: 1995

Author : Jeon Geuk-jin

Artist : Yang Jae Hyun

Genre(s): Action, Adventure, Comedy, Historical Drama, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Romance, Ecchi, Seinen

Current Status: Ongoing

Update Frequency: Bi-monthly (Every two weeks)

Moment of Reviewing: Chapter 424 ( 66 Volumes )

Other Formats: MMORPG​

Series Summary:
The story revolves around Han Bi Kwang, the 6th disciple of the great Master of the Black Force. Despite this kind of grand introduction he doesn’t know any martial art other than light feather art of running. He uses it skillfully of course- for running away from any kind of troublesome situation. Ignoring repeated insistence of his master, he prefers to chase pretty girls over any kind of training and gets annoyed at the troupe of Black Wind guards assigned to him seeing them as a hindrance to this cause. One day he meets a skillful sword fighter who is looking for another legendary master. Bi Kwang gets attracted to his sister Dahm Hwa Rin and promises to help if the sword fighter would introduce him to her. He agrees and sets up a meeting but they are interrupted when a band of some dangerous rouges finds them. Bi Kwang lets the girl slip but makes a deal with the rogue leader Black Cobra to hand over the brother to them to save himself as well as to get the girl all by himself. But there was the catch- he was she. While she manages to fight off the rogues initially they chase her and finally she and by extension Bi Kwang are cornered. Hwa Rin loses her legendary Demon Soul Flower Sword. Even as the two regroup multiple other parties jump in to the fray each for their own reason. Soon there will be an all out fight involving everyone for which Bi Kwang is not prepared at all but it’s only the beginning of his journey in the Murim world.​

Critical Review:
Once upon a time, I was reading the author’s comment about some of his work in another manga, The breaker. His reference to this manhwa, lead me to search for it. To say the least, I wasn't disappointed. Intricate plot, action, comic situations, historical setting, magical weapons, and teasing fanservice- you name it and you have it. It mixes comedy with action and serious situations while balancing them skillfully.

The first arc itself has a pretty intense action with rapidly changing situations and somehow writer neatly managed to tell three different love stories in it along with introducing many characters. Yet more is to come.

The biggest strength of this manhwa is it's characters and their interaction with each other. All the characters that appear in it have a place in the story and help in moving forward. Dahm Hwa Rin is a cultured warrior who follows the traditional code of ethics and bravery by the book. In contrast Han Bi Kwang enters as a frivolous womanizer, unreliable and not above cheap tricks and dirty fighting to get what he wants. He has no personal goal to achieve and wants a carefree easy life. Despite having an amazing natural talent he is reluctant to make efforts to utilize his potential and comes of lacking at first. Of course, he will overcome his shortcomings that are restraining him from being the hero just yet. But, events have to happen to set that path. Hwa-Rin's entry in his life is like a rock thrown in a calm water and starts a chain of cause and effect throughout the manga. Every incident ripples across and affects all the characters it touches, positively or negatively and in some cases as a comic tragedy.

Despite the intense violent scenes and constant action this series doesn’t take itself that seriously. Sudden panel pop up with the creators making an excuse or an apology for some mistakes or plot device. Chibi characters turn around and make fun of their creators. When the power levels keep on increasing to mad levels the other characters start asking the same question repeatedly " is X still human?" Still the plot flows smoothly and keeps you guessing and interested what will happen next.

You may also notice influence of some other older classics now and then. Those who have read the The breaker may see some other similarities besides the writer’s style of adding comedy. A few of the techniques seem variations of the same ability. The heroes from both are talented youngster but new to the murim world and untrained, yet fast learners. But, both can be easily distinguished from each other and the execution of plot remains enjoyable.

I must add here that while the author is the same for both the mangas- The breaker series and the ruler of the Land, the artist for these mangas are different. So if you have read The breaker or it's sequel Breaker: the new waves, do not expect the same style of art in this one. The ROTL art is not sleek the way The breaker's is. But generally it's good and improves. Unlike The breaker that is set in modern times, the ROTL has magical weapons and a historical settings. So it’s retro style art compliments setting of the verse. Character designs are neat and varied enough and normally you can tell who is who and what's going on in the panels. Just focus on the character instead of only the face.

This manhwa is said to be highly acclaimed and rightly so. The only minor hitch I felt was that names were a little difficult for me to remember and I had to pay extra attention to them. But the fun was worth it. You shouldn't miss it.

PS: It's to be read from your left to right.

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,398💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have heard about this series, but I haven't given it a try yet because at first glance the art didn't really seem to appeal to me.
Yes, art may come as a shock especially if you have The Breaker in mind - the writer being the same. But once you get past that it hooks the reader pretty well. The actual events and what's going on in there is interesting and too action packed to ignore. Especially the first few volumes will need a slow read to take in everything.

However the art too improves as you go on. There were some relatively well drawn panels in between early on too and as the artist got more practiced drawing this kind of stuff he got better:

Or you just get used to it after this many chapters.

Gintõki1

Elite
Kin
16💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wanted to give this a try, but in the end i never did.
Breaker and ToG fan here but when i see the tag romance in a manwha it really kills it for me and it's hard for me to start the series then. I don't mind romance in the story it's just the korean drama they put in the most manwhas is annoying as hell.
They fall in love, drama drama, another dude shows up, love triangle drama drama, romance romance etc.

I guess i will still end up reading the first chapters and see for myself because the story got me interested.

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,398💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wanted to give this a try, but in the end i never did.
Breaker and ToG fan here but when i see the tag romance in a manwha it really kills it for me and it's hard for me to start the series then. I don't mind romance in the story it's just the korean drama they put in the most manwhas is annoying as hell.
They fall in love, drama drama, another dude shows up, love triangle drama drama, romance romance etc.

I guess i will still end up reading the first chapters and see for myself because the story got me interested.
That maybe true for some but here, the focus of the story is on the multi-layered power struggle for control over murim.

The other dudes and dudetts hitting on either of the two are to create some comic situations or to give them a reason to aid the main and they usually end up falling for someone or something different.

Minor spoiler:
Even Bi Kwang and Hwa Rin's aren't formally dating. She travels with him dressed up as a man and mostly hides her attraction though Bi Kwang notices it so hasn't lost hope. Her being from the opposing faction White Forces itself is enough challenge and puts a sobering effect on Bi Kwang.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gintõki1