[Discussion] where does last airbender and legend of korra rank among japanese animes?

Lance171

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think legend of korra has some of the best animation from any cartoon. I personally think the avatars cartoons are the best animated series America has made. how does it compare to like naruto, OP, or bleach?? and whyd the last season get kicked from nickelodeon? I thought it was olne of their most successful shows

Reactions: Filosoofis

Yokaze Sama

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Quality wise I'd say above Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece etc...
But that actually depends on the series we are talking about.. The last airbender really reached top class during the 2nd season and continued doing so in the 3rd, where as Korra only delivered one good season, while the other three had only some parts that were written well.

The last airbender can partially be compared to the likes of Attack on titan or Death note in terms of writing and characters, but that's my opinion.

Reactions: Lance171

BlacLord™

Legendary
Kin
22💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
TLA >>>>>>>> LoK.

In terms of animation quality, it's above Naruto at it's average/worst but below it at its best. And whilst TLA had a good strong story, it's not as well written or as deep as the Famous 3.

Lance171

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Quality wise I'd say above Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece etc...
But that actually depends on the series we are talking about.. The last airbender really reached top class during the 2nd season and continued doing so in the 3rd, where as Korra only delivered one good season, while the other three had only some parts that were written well.

The last airbender can partially be compared to the likes of Attack on titan or Death note in terms of writing and characters, but that's my opinion.
what season from LOK did you think was the best?

Lance171

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nothing wrong with that. It is Nickelodeons choice and I can understand them wanting to censor a lesbian ending for little kids. Not saying being gay is bad but if Nickelodeon doesn't want it than it is their right to not make it happen
I don't remember there being a lesbian ending??

SW442

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't remember there being a lesbian ending??
At the end of the show, Korra and Asami go on a trip to the spirit world just the two of them, as Korra told her. Then they hold hands, and look into each other's eyes as the show fades out. So they became a couple in the end, going on a trip together. The directors have stated that was the intent, however showing them kiss was still too risque. So that's the closest we got in terms of that. But Bryke has mentioned that Asami is Korra's heart. .

Here they are walking to the spirit portal.
You must be registered for see images

Lighting is weird, but they are still holding hands here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lance171

TheUnbiasedOne

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
At the end of the show, Korra and Asami go on a trip to the spirit world just the two of them, as Korra told her. Then they hold hands, and look into each other's eyes as the show fades out. So they became a couple in the end, going on a trip together. The directors have stated that was the intent, however showing them kiss was still too risque. So that's the closest we got in terms of that. But Bryke has mentioned that Asami is Korra's heart. .

My issue wasn't that they were gay, there was just no development for that, at all.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,801💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Coincidently not too long ago I watched all the episodes again from both TLA as the LoK and made a review of the latter: . Most of my thoughts are already mentioned in that thread.

I think legend of korra has some of the best animation from any cartoon. I personally think the avatars cartoons are the best animated series America has made. how does it compare to like naruto, OP, or bleach?? and whyd the last season get kicked from nickelodeon? I thought it was olne of their most successful shows
Both TLA and especially the LoK had an amazing animation quality, far better than Naruto, OP and Bleach and most other anime and there is a very simple reason for that: the better the quality, the more it costs. Episodes of series like Naruto are mass-produced, there are hundreds of them, OP will likely in the end surpass even the thousand episodes mark. It's impossible to animate so many episodes with a high degree of perfection. This is quantity vs quality. The more episodes, the lesser the quality, the fewer episodes, the better the quality.

And the last season didn't really got kicked from Nick as they still released the episodes online at regular intervals and aired them on television likewise. I never had any confirmation of this, but I always thought bad communication and advertising was the issue. For the first season they had build up a hype months before the release and it was such a success that they immediately ordered three new seasons. However for the following seasons the situation was quite differently and especially for the last two. I mean the fourth season came quite fast after the third and there wasn't even much (or none at all) advertisement. I didn't know they would be releasing an episode till short after they already released it. There were also some troubles with budget cuts. It also has to be said that LoK had quite a bit of a problem with episodes being released prematurely, something it inherited from TLA.

Because it had a lesbian ending. Homophobia much.
That's complete and utter BS.

TLA >>>>>>>> LoK.

In terms of animation quality, it's above Naruto at it's average/worst but below it at its best. And whilst TLA had a good strong story, it's not as well written or as deep as the Famous 3.
That's highly debatable to say the least, not in the first place because series like Naruto had several hundreds of episodes. It's easy to expand more on a story if more episodes are produced, but that doesn't automatically mean the creators succeed in using those episodes optimally and both Naruto and Bleach are prime examples of that. This is a personal opinion, but in regards to character development, depth and writing a story, TLA and LoK beat the crap out of Naruto and certainly Bleach. I mean one of the worst aspects of Bleach is how the story is written.

That TLA and the LoK did such a great job at these aspects is even more impressive because they had way less episodes. OP is the only series of the ones you mentioned who can say that they used the large amount of episodes efficiently to give depth the story and its characters.

I personally didn't watch the legend of korra. But the director said Korra is bi and in love with asami or whatever her name is. This lesbian ending is censored in the west and was only releases through the internet.
These series are from the "West", that's also were they were released on the internet, so it doesn't make sense it was censored in the West as those are the original episodes. I watched the episode the moment it was released to the public and there was no censorship, this is the first time I heard anything about any kind of censorship. The romance between Asami and Korra was also only afterwards confirmed, in the episode it was at best implied. I mean you didn't even see the series.

Lance171

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

hahaha wow im gonna have to rewatch it now!