[Tutorial] : How to improve your drawings.

Hotarubi

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Ok , here's a short tutorial how to improve your drawings, even if it's a little bit.
Firstly I have to say , If you use a reference for your drawings like an anime pic or something , strat from step "5" and continue from there. :p
However if you draw using your imagination , Start from first step.

1. Take a peice of paper and draw whatever comes to your mind. It can be messy , ugly and it's okay cause it's only a sketch, Just let your pencil run all over the paper but try to make it as anatomically correct as possible.

You must be registered for see images

See how ugly and messy it is xd ? Wait it's not finnished. =P

2.Take another peice of paper and try to draw the outline according to your sketch , as softly and clean you can.Remember , the lines must be very thin in this stage.
Also if you've made any mistake in your sketch , try corret it now. For example in my sketch,I didn't like the breast and the head , so I changed it a bit to my liking. :)

3:Draw hair , clothes , eyes and nose and lips and whatever you like . Here I changed my mindand I wanted to draw a long dress for her, so the legs weren't needed anymore so I erased them ^_^.
Don't make your lines thick here ,too. they must be as thin as possible.I darkened the pic so you can see it better and they are actually lighter than this.

4:Add details.Whatever you like. I loke a lot of lace and ribbon.add them, but again , not too thick.And I have to add, It is still in an ugly stage. Hahaha

5:Ok time for the line art now! ( for those who use reference , your job starts here. pay attention) start drawing on your lines. very very sofly but repeat it as many times until you fill satisfied with it. don't make long lines. make them short , when you are finnished , move to the nest area.
Also , make the lines darker and thicker and the ends, and lighter in the middle. the edges should be dark enough , cause that's where the shadow is made and you don't want to your shades be completely merged with your lines.
Also , the out lines of the skin and body should be thinner than the clothes. see?

For the hair , make the lines AS THIN AS possible. you don't want your drawing have hair like hedgehog. It should appear silky. and they should be not so dark.

Here's the outcome, see the difference? :

6:The shading time. There is not much to say here as everyone has their own technic. I use HB or B2 pencil for shading the clothes and skin. but mechanical pencil 0.5 mm for the hair as pencil lines are too thick and not hair-like .

First , find a source of light. Here , it's infront of the character. a little bit turned to right.just think with that source of light location, where the shadows and highlights , will be.
Here the shadows are places that have more depth .make deeper places darker.I use eraser for the highlights to make it glow-like.Especially for the hair.As I said , there is not much to be said here , just practice while remembering these and you'll be great.

Here , you got youself a drawing now. DONE!

P.S: I'm nowhere near perfect, so if here is any flaws in there, my bad.I had a little time for shadings. Just wanted to help. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldrinn

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Re: [Tutorial] How to improve your drawings.

I'm too busy giggling like a 9-year-old over the little nipple on the first image to really pay attention to what you're saying here.

Hipster Madara

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

good info, and ur a good artist
but when u said messy and ugly i thought u meant like horrible stick figures i draw lol
good advice but i can't even draw the first step :(

Hotarubi

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

I'm too busy giggling like a 9-year-old over the little nipple on the first image to really pay attention to what you're saying here.
Oh, How worried I am for the humanity >_>

Thanks! didnt know that! :D
You're welcome?!
Its very good. Ur really a very gud artist. Tnx a lot 4 this. I wanna frndship with u.
Thanks. sure let's be friends. =/
wow quite an effort u put in there hotarubi!!!
Heheh , kinda! hope it helps.
wow awesome...maybe i will try to draw somting from imagination :D
Thanks. Try it hun. :glomp: From what i've seen from you , you have the talent.
cool, but next time make bigger boobs ;)
I'll try O_O

good info, and ur a good artist
but when u said messy and ugly i thought u meant like horrible stick figures i draw lol
good advice but i can't even draw the first step :(
Haven't seen any of your work. But you can if you try!

Xylon

Legendary
Kin
352💸
Kumi
268💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

I am officially your fan =DD
Somewhere in the forums, i think it was Devlin or another guy. What was his name he used Genma in RP, don't mind my poor memory its something years old =/ in any case he posted a whole book about drawing anime and manga characters. I still have the book printed somewhere in my stuff and well most stuff is actually included in there including what you just taught others. I wonder if we can find it, that'd be hell of a help i know cause it helped me .-.

Hotarubi

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Nicely done:D
Sankyuuu~~ ^ ^

Yeah, tell me about it.

I'm beginning to think that even though my body itself continues to age, my mind and soul stay somewhere around the age of 10.

Nipples. Teehee.
I thought so!

i am almost done with "my wierd imagination" girl O_O face looks like alien ....=.= body as usual succes!
Yay! show it to me when it's done!

I am officially your fan =DD
Somewhere in the forums, i think it was Devlin or another guy. What was his name he used Genma in RP, don't mind my poor memory its something years old =/ in any case he posted a whole book about drawing anime and manga characters. I still have the book printed somewhere in my stuff and well most stuff is actually included in there including what you just taught others. I wonder if we can find it, that'd be hell of a help i know cause it helped me .-.
Thanks.
Yeah there are like a zillion in the net. but I don't know which is good or not. I have a few myself , but they are not in English so can't upload them here. If you find it, don't forget to send me link also, If It's not too much trouble. ^ ^

Train

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Wow, it seems you're a great artist...and this tutorial helps a lot, great effort!
Pretty drawing btw.

Sauron

Elite
Kin
565💸
Kumi
3,174💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

heyy great job i was looking through threads and saw your name, so i thought id take a look, you area very good artist, looks like you gained a fan hun xd