Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

You must be registered for see images

In this tutorial I will show you how you can draw a realistic eye.

Equipment: Normal grey/black pencils (H5 to B6), Rubber and modelling eraser to erase small parts, hairspray.

Okay, we start of by sketching the basic shape of the eye and the iris, I myself used some extra lines to guide me and make sure it’s in the right place. The best thing to do is find a picture of an eye and use that as a reference.
The way the iris is placed depends on where the eyes looks to, in this case straight ahead.

We then draw the pupil in the iris, it’s usually 4 or 5 times smaller then the iris, the small ‘Window’ on the right side is to make the eye a bit shiny, you see it in everyone’s eye. I then drew the basic lines for the iris, to know where it’s going to be darker and lighter. And of course the eyelid, we must not forget this, otherwise the eye will look funny later one.

Then of course the eyelashes, with every lash you draw, make sure you want it that way, it’s difficult to correct it later on. Lashes on the inside of the eye (on the nose side) should be smaller then the one’s on the outside of the eye. The lashes on the upper lid can be quite much and long, especially if you are drawing woman eyes since they are wearing mascara usually, and the one’s on the bottom should be shorter, and not so much, just some spread.

Then the colouring of they iris. It doesn’t matter if you start with the lighter of darker colours, I started with the darker tones, beginning with the Pupil (B6) and then a bit harder pencil (B4) to colour the darker tones in the iris. The lighter part you can colour with any pencil you want, depending on the colour you want to have the eye, for example, if your references is blue, then it’s easier to use pencils like H2 or H3, but when it’s brown you’re fine with HB/B

With the colouring of the eyelashes you can make some corrections to any mistakes you’ve made, but it’s difficult to keep it looking nice and clean. For the lashes I used the same pencil as for the darker tone as the iris (B4). Make sure they all look like they are coming form the base.
On the bottom half the same as before, put some lashes over there.

Since you are done with most of it now, you can start with adding shade to your drawing, you should give the eyelid a light colour. You create a little bit of shadow in the eye itself, more on the top half then on the bottom half. Just add shadow where you think it’s necessary with hard pencils (H4/H5). To remove the most visible lines you take a tissues and rub softly over the area to blend it a bit more.

You know can start fine-tuning your drawing, add a bit more shade here, remove some here, add some lashes, anything you want to make it the way you want it.

One tip, if you're finished, spray hairspray over your drawing to you won't ruin it later on;)

Last edited:

Nocturne

Veteran
Kin
20💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
thats very informative....i needed that....always had trouble making the eyelashes...
but you shouldve added the eye brows too...to have a perfect idea of distance...

but overall great effort...^^

Yugure

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
thats very informative....i needed that....always had trouble making the eyelashes...
but you shouldve added the eye brows too...to have a perfect idea of distance...

but overall great effort...^^
I considered drawing the eyebrow, but I was too lazy, the sun is shining, so I wanted to sit outside^^

Henchman24

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

In this tutorial I will show you how you can draw a realistic eye.

Equipment: Normal grey/black pencils (H5 to B6), Rubber and modelling eraser to erase small parts, hairspray.

Okay, we start of by sketching the basic shape of the eye and the iris, I myself used some extra lines to guide me and make sure it’s in the right place. The best thing to do is find a picture of an eye and use that as a reference.
The way the iris is placed depends on where the eyes looks to, in this case straight ahead.

We then draw the pupil in the iris, it’s usually 4 or 5 times smaller then the iris, the small ‘Window’ on the right side is to make the eye a bit shiny, you see it in everyone’s eye. I then drew the basic lines for the iris, to know where it’s going to be darker and lighter. And of course the eyelid, we must not forget this, otherwise the eye will look funny later one.

Then of course the eyelashes, with every lash you draw, make sure you want it that way, it’s difficult to correct it later on. Lashes on the inside of the eye (on the nose side) should be smaller then the one’s on the outside of the eye. The lashes on the upper lid can be quite much and long, especially if you are drawing woman eyes since they are wearing mascara usually, and the one’s on the bottom should be shorter, and not so much, just some spread.

Then the colouring of they iris. It doesn’t matter if you start with the lighter of darker colours, I started with the darker tones, beginning with the Pupil (B6) and then a bit harder pencil (B4) to colour the darker tones in the iris. The lighter part you can colour with any pencil you want, depending on the colour you want to have the eye, for example, if your references is blue, then it’s easier to use pencils like H2 or H3, but when it’s brown you’re fine with HB/B

With the colouring of the eyelashes you can make some corrections to any mistakes you’ve made, but it’s difficult to keep it looking nice and clean. For the lashes I used the same pencil as for the darker tone as the iris (B4). Make sure they all look like they are coming form the base.
On the bottom half the same as before, put some lashes over there.

Since you are done with most of it now, you can start with adding shade to your drawing, you should give the eyelid a light colour. You create a little bit of shadow in the eye itself, more on the top half then on the bottom half. Just add shadow where you think it’s necessary with hard pencils (H4/H5). To remove the most visible lines you take a tissues and rub softly over the area to blend it a bit more.

You know can start fine-tuning your drawing, add a bit more shade here, remove some here, add some lashes, anything you want to make it the way you want it.

One tip, if you're finished, spray hairspray over your drawing to you won't ruin it later on;)
A for effort.