Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

You must be registered for see images

W00t!? Ive been a mod for almost a year and haven't contributed all that much in my opinion, other than hours on mod work, jutsu-list updates, sarcasm, and a post about how to add Youtube videos to your posts :)p).

Any-who, upon reading I figured that I would give it a bit of a revamp/update/upgrade as its grossly outdated. I will however be quoting his entire post as a respectful measure to someone who obviously knew windows 95 and 98 just as well as I did. Thanks for all your work as a moderator, and a decent post about PC advice.

You might ask why my post, while detailed, does not, and will never, contain information on Windows Vista. The answer to this is simple, I hate it. I dont know anything about Vista, I feel it was worthless, and completely bypassed it in all my system. I went from 95 to 98 to XP to 7. If you have Vista, I personally recommend a downgrade, or upgrade. Either is better lol

~_______________~

~ALL CREDIT FOR THIS SECTION GOES TO RAHUL~

1. Wallpapers:
They slow your whole system down, so if you're willing to compromise, have a basic plain one instead!

2. Drivers: Update your hardware drivers as frequently as possible. New drivers tend to increase system speed especially in the case of graphics cards, their drivers are updated by the manufacturer very frequently!

3. Minimizing: If you want to use several programs at the same time then minimize those you are not using. This helps reduce the overload on RAM.

4. Boot Faster: The 'starting Windows 95/98' message on startup can delay your booting for a couple of seconds. To get rid of this message go to c:\ and find the file Msdos.sys. Remove the Read-Only option. Next, open it in Notepad or any other text editor. Finally, go to the text 'Options' within the file and make the following changes: Add BootDelay=0. To make your booting even faster, set add Logo=0 to remove the Windows logo at startup.

5. Restart only Windows: When restarting your PC, hold down Shift to only restart Windows rather than the whole system which will only take a fraction of the time.

6. Turn Off Animations: Go to Display Settings from the Control Panel and switch to the Effects Tab. Now turn off Show Windows Content While Dragging and Smooth Edges on Screen Fonts. This tip is also helpful with Windows XP because of the various fade/scroll effects.

7. Faster Start-Menu Access: Go to the Start menu and select Run. Now type Regedit and hit Enter. The Registry Editor will appear on the screen. Now, open the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. You should see a MenuShowDelay value. If you don't then do the following: right click on a blank space in the right pane and select New\String. Change the name in the new value to MenuShowDelay. Now that we have the MenuShowDelay value, double click on it and enter 0 in the value data field. This sets the start menu delay to 0 milliseconds.

8. Resolutions: If you are willing to do anything for faster performance from your PC, then try lowering your display resolution. The lower it is, the faster your PC.

9. Turn off Active Desktop:
Go to your Display Properties and switch to the Web tab. Uncheck View My Active Desktop As a Web Page. Since the Active Desktop option under Windows 98 uses a lot of system resources, this option can have a dramatic effect on the speed of the whole system.

10. Defragment Often: Windows 98's Defrag tool uses Application Acceleration from Intel which means that when you defragment your drive, data is physically arranged on the drive so that applications will load faster.

11. Take your PC to Bed: Using the Advanced Power Management feature under Windows 98 gives you the option to use the sleep command. That way, you can send your PC to sleep instead of shutting it down and then restarting it. It's as simple as pressing a button and then pressing the same button to wake it up. You can tell Windows after how many minutes/hours of inactivity to automatically sleep the machine in the Advanced Power Management section of the Control Panel.

12. Faster Internet Access: If you use the internet for reference and the sites you visit are rarely updated then try the following. In IE (the same can be done in Netscape) go to Tools, Internet Options. Next, click on Settings... in the Temporary Internet Files section. Finally, select Never for the first option and double the amount of storage space to use, click OK!

13. Benchmarking: Benchmarking can be very useful when run frequently. It can tell you how your PC's components are performing and then compare them to other machines like yours. For example, when you overclock your PC, you want to know how much more speed you have and whether it is stable. All this and more can be discovered using benchmarking. An excellent piece of software for doing this job is SiSoft Sandra which can be found in the Downloads File Archive!

14. Refresh the Taskbar without restarting: If you in some way change the taskbar, either in Regedit or elsewhere, you can refresh the task bar without restarting. Hold down Ctrl Alt Del, and double click on Explorer. Say Yes to close Explorer, but no to closing Windows. This will refresh the Taskbar and system tray.

15. Quick CD Eject:
Instead of pushing the button on your drive, right-click your CD drive letter in My Computer and click on Eject. This will also remove any icons that have become associated with the CD drive.

16. Start Up Programs: Windows can be slowed down when programs run on start up. To eliminate this, check your Start up folder. You can access it from the start menu: Start, Programs, Start Up. Another way to eliminate programs from loading even before Windows actually starts is by doing the following: Click on Start, then Run. Type msconfig. It will take quite a long time for this program to load, but when you finally see it on your screen, explore the different tabs. They all have to do with how quickly your PC boots, so select what you want, and uncheck what you don't want!

17. Fonts: When Windows starts, it loads every single font in the Fonts folder. Therefore, the more fonts you have, the slower the booting process. To get rid of unwanted fonts, simply go to the Fonts folder under c:\windows and remove whatever you don't want. Fonts that have a red letter 'A' as their icon are system fonts, so don't delete them.

18. Stretching Wallpapers: Don't "stretch" your wallpaper in Windows 98 since it actually slows Windows down when you drag icons around on the desktop.

19. RAM Matters: If you have less than 32MB then you should seriously think of upgrading it to at least 64MB. Windows runs much more smoothly with 64MB or higher and tends to use less hard disk space for virtual memory.

20. Partitioning: A very nice little thing you can do to boost system performance. By partitioning your hard drive, splitting one physical drive into several logical ones, you can gain several advantages. 1. If you get a virus or you accidentally format a drive, not all will be lost. 2. By placing the swap file (Win386.swp) on a separate drive, The swap file will be less fragmented and thus, faster. 3. Place Windows on a separate drive and whenever you need to reinstall it, you rest assured that your data is safe on a separate drive. Partitioning can be done using a few programs such as FDisk which comes with DOS. However, FDisk formats everything on the hard disk before partitioning. Alternatively, you can use Partition Magic from Power Quest to partition your hard disk without losing your data.

~_______________~

1. Preface to Windows XP: Windows XP, in my own personal opinion, is the perfect Windows Operating System (Abbreviating to OS from now on). It combines the perfect amount of functionality, control, and performance that to this date, no other Windows OS has presented. It is so good that pirates all over the world have edited hundreds of thousands, if not millions of different variations to this magnificent OS. Ive personally run XP since its inception and used it and only it up until March when I purchased a new laptop preloaded with Windows 7. Given this knowledge and love that I posses for Windows XP, I will now give you some tips, trick, and programs that will allow you to tweak your Windows XP system to extreme performance.

2. Editing start-up entries:
Speed is the most important thing to most people who use PCs, no one wants a laggy PC on start up. So type "msconfig" into run via your start button. After doing so, click on the start up tab. Then un-tick all the entries that you do not wish to show up on start up. Anti-virus programs, instant messengers, and other CPU hogging programs should be un-ticked in this field because they will cause your PC to seriously lag during start up. Be sure to leave the system needed processes to run on start up, as it can cause your PC to not boot correctly. Some programs are essential to system stability, such as ctfmon.exe, cmd.exe, and svchost.exe. Do not disable these processes.

3. Removing un-needed XP contents:
Go through your add or remove programs menu in your control panel uninstall any and all programs that you don't use/need. This hogs hard-drive space and will cause XP to run slower.

4. Ashampoo Winoptimizer: This is a VERY useful program that will allow you to clear out a load of un-needed files which will free up system space and speed you up a bit. It will also allow you to run a speed test on your PC to see where you benchmark at.

5. Tweak XP: Another very useful program that will allow you to tweak various things in XP to allow it to run at full speed

6. Ram: To comfortably run Windows XP, you will need at least 256 to 512 MB of ram. However, as a personal recommendation, I have always used 1 to 2 GB of ram. It allow you to be able to run more programs as a faster pace and it makes your PC load extremely fast.

7. Windows XP Gamer Edition: While it IS technically a pirated OS. If you do have a copy of Windows XP Professional, it can be argued in court that you simply edited out certain entries. Anyway, gamer edition is just the bare essentials for Windows XP. It has everything that you need, and none of what you don't. Its ISO size is below 100 MB and installs to below 500 MB. Which saves overall drive space, and time that it takes to redo your OS. Very essential if you redoing your OS for a time sensitive issue ;) ;).

8. Defragment your hard disk: Fragmentation makes your hard disk do extra work that can slow down your computer. Disk Defrag rearranges fragmented data so your hard disk can work more efficiently. Run a defrag every month or so to attain optimal performance.

9. Closing to Windows XP: All in all, as I said above, if appropriately managed and up-kept, Windows XP can be the perfect OS for any user. Take these tips for XP and go pirate a copy of Windows XP Gamer Edition and go enjoy full control of your PC. ^::^

~_______________~

1. Preface to Windows 7: Windows 7 has a very innovative user interface. However, while a very nice looking, and decent running OS, it takes away alot of the user control. Windows 7 is basically Microsoft's idea for an "every-man" OS. There are however, alot of ways to make your system yours in your own way, and it has enough controls that you can tweak and edit to take full control. Like switch to XP :)p lol). Don't get ne wrong, I actually like my new laptop with 7 pre-installed on it. It comfortable and allows me to not to have to think as much lol. But I digress, here are some tips and trick to help it run smoothly and under your control.

2. Delete user accounts: On your Windows 7 PC, there should be 1 user account. Your own. The administrator. This will both improve overall system performance and it will also ensure that your account is the decision making account on the PC, which removes all those pesky run as administrator issues.

3. Removing start-up entries: Just as with XP, type "msconfig" into run via your start button. After doing so, click on the start up tab. Then un-tick all the entries that you do not wish to show up on start up. Anti-virus programs, instant messengers, and other CPU hogging programs should be un-ticked in this field because they will cause your PC to seriously lag during start up. Be sure to leave the system needed processes to run on start up, as it can cause your PC to not boot correctly.

4. Delete programs you never use:
Use the add remove programs menu found in control panel, uninstall all the programs you don't use. This includes both manufacturer software and software you installed yourself but don't want any more.

5. Defragment your hard disk:
Fragmentation makes your hard disk do extra work that can slow down your computer. Disk Defragmenter rearranges fragmented data so your hard disk can work more efficiently. Run a defrag every month or so to attain optimal performance.

6. Clean up your hard disk: Delete any and all file that you dont need/use. This frees up system space which will allow you to save more items and run smoothly.

7. Run fewer programs at the same time: Because of the high visual demands throughout Windows 7, running less programs will cause your pc to run faster. IE, dont run Photoshop and burn a dvd at the same time.

8. Turn off visual effects:
Turn off certain visual effects will cause less programs to run at once. Transparency in particular. Turning that off alone will cause a dramatic speed boost

9. Ram:
Ram is again, one of the most important things in a PC. Windows 7 demands at least 2 gb of ram. I personally run with 4 gb. It runs alot smoother even with all the visual effects on. I have them off though which allows me to run pretty much anything I want :)p)

~_______________~

1. Anti-virus, spyware, adware, malware programs: ARENT NEEDED! *inhales* Apologies for the outburst, but I have dealt with dozens of people that get defensive over their anti virus program that I literally get on edge when people bring up the subject. Anti-Virus programs hog system space and barely ever work. 9 times out of 10, a serious virus WILL get passed your anti-virus program and then your screwed because you relied on the program to protect you rather than you protecting yourself.

~ Instead of using a system hogging anti-virus program, instead try using , its small, only one process, and highly effective at removing most viruses. However, it, like any other top name anti virus such as Norton and Kaspersky IS NOT PERFECT. You WILL get a PC virus eventually, I cant stress that enough.

~ In the event that this happens, in advance, right now, go download , burn it to a disk, and keep it safe. Hirens is full of all kinds of useful DOS apps including a portable mini Windows XP that you start up through dos to run 1 of the many very detailed and thorough anti-viru programs on the cd. This way you never have to install some laggy, crappy, unreliable anti-virus program. Plus you get all the nice free-ware that comes on the boot cd along with the AV programs.

2. Internet Issues:
Alot of people confuse and relate their system speed, with their internet speed. And the important thing to realize, is that while the 2 are minorly connected in the grand scheme of things, they are effect both by far different issues. Here are some tips to improve your internet speed...

~ Your internet browser should be a careful, detailed, important choice that you make for your PC. Naturally if you have Windows, one would presume to go the easy way and use Internet Explorer. I advise against this as IE is total crap (lol). Instead, try using either Firefox (Recommended) or Chrome (Decent as hell, but not as good as Firefox). Try one of those and make it your primary browser.

~ Run a speedtest to test your connection through your ISP. With this crucial info you can decide whether or not to actually upgrade your internet. Its not always the PC thats the problem with speed. Many people play facebook apps, and people that are good at them usually can require and eat up around a 20 Mbit internet connection. While most ISP's generally offer a minimum of 7 to 10 and a back of 40 to 50. I personally run fast as hell with the 40 mbit connection I pay for. But some people cant afford it. So, as a recommendation, if you have a connection that is around 7 to 10 mbits, then try upgrading to between 20 and 40 mbit.

Foreign countries have access to extremely faster internet speeds at cheaper prices than in the US. So that segment was based on a US resident perspective. I recently found out that Kagutsuchi has a connect that is over 100 mbits...I still want to burn his feet >.<

3. Installing your own OS: Installing your own OS can be a very beneficial step in your PC usage. This gives you, the user, full control. Shopping around in the store or on a warez site will allow you to make the decision on what you want to use, some recommended OSs are:

• Windows XP Gamer
  • Any "Black Edition" OS
  • Windows Vienna
Installed the right way, any of those OSs can put you, the user, in full control. And they all run hella great.

4. Picking your own hardware: This can be another helpful choice for you, the user. You can gauge what you wish the PC to be used for, then purchase and build the PC, upload a custom OS. And then your basically perfect. Your PC would do pretty much exactly as intended. Their are plenty of help sites for things like this as well.

5. Google: Google is probably the most useful thing on a PC. It will answer almost any problem you might have and its free, where-as alot of tech help people will charge you to answer questions.

6. Re-moveable storage:
Its always best to have a large flash drive and/or a portable hard drive. This allows for more space for worthless files. I personally have one for all of my pirated media. If anything goes wrong i can just quickly get rid of it.

More to come, all for now, hope this helped :)

Last edited:

Maderator

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This stuff is really good for older or lower powered computers, but some of it seems a little redundant given the speed of more modern computers. You still need it for mac though ;) +rep