[Suggestion] M.A.C. Base questions

CrystalUsa110

Kin
0💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have a few questions about a couple things regarding the M.A.C base section and the RP section. Kinda confused.
  1. Why are they all in one giant forum(the forum not the category)? It seems really messy and out of place. Anime, Manga, and comics in one place? What about separate forums for Anime, Manga, and Comics? Anime/Manga like Naruto, bleach, etc have their own separate forums, but these 3 don't? Hell, even Manhwa has it's own forum.
  2. About the RP section. Why is there an entire Naruto forum that's neatly organized, but other RP is simply labeled "Other RP" jammed into one forum? No categories, no sense of organization, nothing.
Those are all my questions for now. Thanks for reading.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1) Because there never was a need to make such distinctions. I have barely seen any comic discussions throughout the years (other than Superman vs someone). Similar reason as why there is no distinction between anime and manga: pretty much all the current members are people who follow the manga. Other than Naruto, there have been no series where there was a large enough group of people that only focused on the anime. So making sections based on series was more appropriate than their format. And there's a section for Manhwa because they have been gaining traction the past few years and at a certain point they were really popular here.

More sections aren't necessarily better. If you have a small community and you then separate it into multiple sections, you run the risk of making it even smaller.

2) This hasn't really anything to do with the MAC Base, but anyway NB, AB's predecessor, was originally founded to center around the Naruto series. The Naruto RP has an almost 10-year long history that progressed alongside the series. There has also always been at any given time a core group of people that could keep it going. During the course of the years there have been some attempts at other RP systems, in particular Bleach and OP, but they never succeeded as you need to be able to maintain a certain amount of activity. If not, it dies out. Just pointing it out but maintaining a complex RP system requires a tremendous amount of work and time.

If you want to introduce a new kind of RP, it's best to start basic and simple and not some highly complex system that will discourage people to even try it out. So if in the near future there's another RP system that catches on, it can be moved to another section or sections.

Reactions: Michelle and Avani

CrystalUsa110

Kin
0💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1) Because there never was a need to make such distinctions. I have barely seen any comic discussions throughout the years (other than Superman vs someone). Similar reason as why there is no distinction between anime and manga: pretty much all the current members are people who follow the manga. Other than Naruto, there have been no series where there was a large enough group of people that only focused on the anime. So making sections based on series was more appropriate than their format. And there's a section for Manhwa because they have been gaining traction the past few years and at a certain point they were really popular here.

More sections aren't necessarily better. If you have a small community and you then separate it into multiple sections, you run the risk of making it even smaller.

2) This hasn't really anything to do with the MAC Base, but anyway NB, AB's predecessor, was originally founded to center around the Naruto series. The Naruto RP has an almost 10-year long history that progressed alongside the series. There has also always been at any given time a core group of people that could keep it going. During the course of the years there have been some attempts at other RP systems, in particular Bleach and OP, but they never succeeded as you need to be able to maintain a certain amount of activity. If not, it dies out. Just pointing it out but maintaining a complex RP system requires a tremendous amount of work and time.

If you want to introduce a new kind of RP, it's best to start basic and simple and not some highly complex system that will discourage people to even try it out. So if in the near future there's another RP system that catches on, it can be moved to another section or sections.
Interesting, I see. Thank you for answering.

Reactions: suki

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,735💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I saw this thread earlier and didn't think too much about it, but now I kind of agree with OP regarding at least the Manga/Anime debate in point 1.

For Naruto I read the manga since I came to this site so there was never any worries about spoilers for me (that and the fact it was seperated as Cali mentioned) but now I've started to really get into the Attack on Titan anime with the latest season and I don't think I'm going to read the manga anytime soon. People love to discuss it in the comments on Cruncyroll and youtube reviews so with that in mind I thought I could finally find a new place here on the Base to engage in some discussion again so I checked out the AoT section.

First things/threads I saw in that section backfired so badly on me I think (hope I read some of those thread titles wrong) that I panicked and closed the entire browser in a hurry, lmao. I don't think I'm going to dare visit it again, lol. Just tossing that experience out there. Be careful about checking the mashed together sections if you don't read the manga of that series, that is for sure.

Reactions: Shanks

Shanks

Elite
Kin
2,712💸
Kumi
974💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I saw this thread earlier and didn't think too much about it, but now I kind of agree with OP regarding at least the Manga/Anime debate in point 1.

For Naruto I read the manga since I came to this site so there was never any worries about spoilers for me (that and the fact it was seperated as Cali mentioned) but now I've started to really get into the Attack on Titan anime with the latest season and I don't think I'm going to read the manga anytime soon. People love to discuss it in the comments on Cruncyroll and youtube reviews so with that in mind I thought I could finally find a new place here on the Base to engage in some discussion again so I checked out the AoT section.

First things/threads I saw in that section backfired so badly on me I think (hope I read some of those thread titles wrong) that I panicked and closed the entire browser in a hurry, lmao. I don't think I'm going to dare visit it again, lol. Just tossing that experience out there. Be careful about checking the mashed together sections if you don't read the manga of that series, that is for sure.
Lmao dont tell you are only anime watcher , the manga is way too ahead now.

Reactions: Michael92

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,735💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lmao dont tell you are only anime watcher , the manga is way too ahead now.
Attack on Titan is actually the only series beside Naruto I've given a proper chance, and like with Naruto I started out with the Anime. With Naruto though I eventually switched to the manga but I feel like I enjoy the AoT anime too much to do the same, I dunno. Haven't read manga since Naruto ended in 2014, lol. I heard the AoT manga is close to its end as well so yeah...

Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,031💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think the section should be seperated into three parts:-

Manga for manga discussion.
Anime for anime discussion.
Comics for webcomics/webtoons discussion.

If it's seperate, it's better than been mashed up as spoiling can happen.

The manhwabase section for example should be the comics section as with webtoons gaining popularity, it has a lot of discussion potential.

Shanks

Elite
Kin
2,712💸
Kumi
974💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Attack on Titan is actually the only series beside Naruto I've given a proper chance, and like with Naruto I started out with the Anime. With Naruto though I eventually switched to the manga but I feel like I enjoy the AoT anime too much to do the same, I dunno. Haven't read manga since Naruto ended in 2014, lol. I heard the AoT manga is close to its end as well so yeah...
Read one piece current arc is pretty good i was on same ship as you i was not sure to read any manga after naruto but there are good mangas out there.

You could try kingdom as well i suppose

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,735💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

The manhwabase section for example should be the comics section as with webtoons gaining popularity, it has a lot of discussion potential.
I support this. I don't really see the worry of spredding it out too thin as Cali mentioned if it's done similar to this, it's not like there's going to be a lot of threads talking primarly of both at once right? If anything, that could be done in both sections anyways without the fear of spoilers (comparing an episode to the manga counterpart for example without spoiling it).

Read one piece current arc is pretty good i was on same ship as you i was not sure to read any manga after naruto but there are good mangas out there.

You could try kingdom as well i suppose
I have been considering it for sure but to begin with I was never really an anime/manga guy. Naruto was that exception, lol. I did watch the first 5 episodes of Bleach once though, but that's that. The only reason I checked out AoT is because one of my roomates in the Military when I was serving convinced me to. He wached like a 100 of different series and told me that if I should check out only one series and one series only except for Naruto, it had to be AoT, it just had to be, so I did (had plenty of spare time anyways, lol).

Shanks

Elite
Kin
2,712💸
Kumi
974💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I support this. I don't really see the worry of spredding it out too thin as Cali mentioned if it's done similar to this, it's not like there's going to be a lot of threads talking primarly of both at once right? If anything, that could be done in both sections anyways without the fear of spoilers (comparing an episode to the manga counterpart for example without spoiling it).

I have been considering it for sure but to begin with I was never really an anime/manga guy. Naruto was that exception, lol. I did watch the first 5 episodes of Bleach once though, but that's that. The only reason I checked out AoT is because one of my roomates in the Military when I was serving convinced me to. He wached like a 100 of different series and told me that if I should check out only one series and one series only except for Naruto, it had to be AoT, it just had to be, so I did (had plenty of spare time anyways, lol).
Kimgdom is all about military as well its too adult themed so you can give it a chance .

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,406💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

May be we can add a prefix anime or an anime only thread for ..... is there a polite word to use for anime only population...:sweat: (manga-illiterate sounds so rude:shy:)... .

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Only that creates several issues you're not considering.

For starters we currently have literally a vertical structure. That allows the most freedom for the sections as long as there aren't too many of them. You want replace that with a horizontal one. Turning MAC sections into subsections has rarely yielded positive results and what you're suggesting pretty much comes down to sacrificing the entire first discussion level as you compress everything into two-three main sections, which will lead to many subsections competing with one another and drowning the main section at the same time.

Another problem is that you would have to create two subsections for each series, while in reality for many series is not warranted. For example the BC and SnS sections are almost entirely comprised of threads discussing the latest chapters. So either you would have a section that is void of anything or have one section where you can discuss the manga, but have to discuss the anime somewhere else in a general section, effectively cleaving an already small community. When most of the people who discuss it are people who follow the manga, it's really illogical to forbid them to discuss the anime in the same place.

Thirdly you then have the issue of series that are finished, so you can't really be spoiled, which would make it even more weirder to separate anime and manga. On the other hand many anime these days have hiatuses between seasons, which results in the activity taking a huge dive.

The situation is simple: the only thing that's a problem here, is anime-only people being spoiled, which when you compare it to the size of the current community and what you suggest, is not something that holds much weight. This kind of division would work if you have a large, layered community, which we do not have. To put this into perspective if you would need a 100 people to make this work, we have like 2-3. Not very balanced.

And before you're going to say that there is not much activity because people are scared of spoilers or something along those lines: the AoT section you used as your example was at one point a main section that was created due to the popularity of the anime. Many people initially didn't even know there was a manga. But then the anime went on hiatus and the anime-discussions stopped, making it so that manga-discussions took over as the manga kept going. And as the activity had dwindled, it was turned into a subsection.

Yes some reorganization is required, but what you are asking is not even remotely feasible or justified. I'm not even going to consider turning the OP section into a subsection. In the end this is just trading one set of problems for another set.

May be we can add a prefix anime or an anime only thread for ..... is there a polite word to use for anime only population...:sweat: (manga-illiterate sounds so rude:shy:)... .
Honestly we can just make a sticky thread to discuss the anime, like in the BC section. If even that wouldn't gain much activity, then any talk of separating the two is pointless.

I think prefixes like Manhwa, Manga, Manhua, Webtoon, Light Novel with different colours can be used.
You can only use one prefix, so it's going to become a mess when you already have other prefixes of a different nature. Also none of the ones you listed actually need one. Whether something is a manga, manhua, manhwa, webtoon or whatever makes no difference.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,735💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Only that creates several issues you're not considering.

For starters we currently have literally a vertical structure. That allows the most freedom for the sections as long as there aren't too many of them. You want replace that with a horizontal one. Turning MAC sections into subsections has rarely yielded positive results and what you're suggesting pretty much comes down to sacrificing the entire first discussion level as you compress everything into two-three main sections, which will lead to many subsections competing with one another and drowning the main section at the same time.

Another problem is that you would have to create two subsections for each series, while in reality for many series is not warranted. For example the BC and SnS sections are almost entirely comprised of threads discussing the latest chapters. So either you would have a section that is void of anything or have one section where you can discuss the manga, but have to discuss the anime somewhere else in a general section, effectively cleaving an already small community. When most of the people who discuss it are people who follow the manga, it's really illogical to forbid them to discuss the anime in the same place.

Thirdly you then have the issue of series that are finished, so you can't really be spoiled, which would make it even more weirder to separate anime and manga. On the other hand many anime these days have hiatuses between seasons, which results in the activity taking a huge dive.

The situation is simple: the only thing that's a problem here, is anime-only people being spoiled, which when you compare it to the size of the current community and what you suggest, is not something that holds much weight. This kind of division would work if you have a large, layered community, which we do not have. To put this into perspective if you would need a 100 people to make this work, we have like 2-3. Not very balanced.

And before you're going to say that there is not much activity because people are scared of spoilers or something along those lines: the AoT section you used as your example was at one point a main section that was created due to the popularity of the anime. Many people initially didn't even know there was a manga. But then the anime went on hiatus and the anime-discussions stopped, making it so that manga-discussions took over as the manga kept going. And as the activity had dwindled, it was turned into a subsection.

Yes some reorganization is required, but what you are asking is not even remotely feasible or justified. I'm not even going to consider turning the OP section into a subsection. In the end this is just trading one set of problems for another set.

Honestly we can just make a sticky thread to discuss the anime, like in the BC section. If even that wouldn't gain much activity, then any talk of separating the two is pointless.

You can only use one prefix, so it's going to become a mess when you already have other prefixes of a different nature. Also none of the ones you listed actually need one. Whether something is a manga, manhua, manhwa, webtoon or whatever makes no difference.
You strike fair points for sure, touching upon things that are too "Forum technical" for me to grasp, lol. Maybe if we can get those 80k members from Discord here then it will be justified, who knows. Probably not going to happen anytime soon I think.

Anyways the suggestion you had that was compared to the BC section. I had a look and yeah... It's something for sure but it's too dangerous to go into a section to find something like that if you ask me when you have spoilers of who dies right below it, haha. That and it would become a mash thread where everything drownes (I like it organised). I'll keep to the episode discussion on Cruncyroll and youtube instead, most of what I want to talk about is covered there anyways.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,406💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Avani said:

Yeah that's what I meant by "anime only" thread. So anime watchers can discuss or look for anime related information minimising the risk of spoilers.